1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Settler: possible problem?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Foxxyness1, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not sure I get what you're saying, so please tell me if this is it.
    There are different mines (e.g. Gold mines, Coal mines...etc.), and there are drilling/resource gathering equipment. the quality of the building depends on what you're mining, i.e. resources; so if you're mining Gold it's obviously going to be better than Coal, and it also depends on the equipment you're using to gather those resources. Say you're using bad equipment you get a resource called "Cracked Gold", normal equipment you get "Gold", and good equipment you get "Pure Gold".
  2. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Kinda yeah, if the resources (sorry Mats) had a % value then the product produced eg: Shadys Garden Shed would have a durability of XXX days based on the average percentage of the resources used. So Shady Sheds using top quality resources obtained from conquest areas etc (ie rarer resources) would be more desirable and higher value than Maddog Shoddy Shacks which used lesser quality materials.
    If the NPC purchases any shed regardless of quality at XX credits then its a way to stop farming 'crafted for credits' as the Shoddy Shacks are really just usefull for burning through lesser quality materials and gaining XP.
    As you gain XP (say selling 100 Shoddy Shacks) you are able to improve the effectiveness of your resource extraction device. This hold true to real world facts that you or I probably wouldnt be able to find that good a quality materials in a diamond mine, wheras someone more experienced with crafting knows what they are looking for and how to extract it. You are right the names of the materials could change depending on quality, I was just thinking of % as a backend value.
  3. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think you got my idea.
    My idea is to have the quality of the building related to the rl skill of the player, not how much he has advanced in the game.
    So, as I said before, someone with Architecture as a major, would make an extremely good settler, while someone with say a CS major wouldn't be as good.
  4. Foxxyness1

Foxxyness1 Cupcake

That would cause a bit of a problem... How many Architect's actually play video games? Plus for someone like me who is going to play settler no matter what. If it was based on skill, and if I did not possess good skill with them, that would ruin the entire game for me... :(
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  5. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

That was just an example to make my point clear, don't take it to the letter.
  6. Sharkee

Sharkee Cupcake

I really like Shady's idea, but the devs. can always simplify the concept. To make it not as hard as, let's say steam workshop principles, where you need several programs, and knowledge in 3d modelling, but still make it a challenge with a learning curve, where if you invest time and a bit of work you can actually make things work.
    Because remember that dedicated sites can be brought up for these types of things, where people could possibly post their concept ideas for houses, shops, guild halls, and more stuff, for people to vote on which should be implemented,and maybe adding a plack in-game with the designers actual name for everyone to know who designed it. Again not sure if such things can be done, but if you follow steam workshop principles, most items for let's say dota2 are fan made. Just putting an idea out there

Sharkee
  7. Maddog Charlie

Right I see what you mean Shady, my mistake but not sure how you could craft anything based on a RL skill ? do you mean like a mini game ?

1) eg: Sharkee (cause he is new so will use him) decides to craft a shed, he has the 3 required materials and so starts the mini interface, 3 mini graphs start waving up and down randomly, the 1 minute crafting process requires him to watch three graphs and when they peak highest he has to stop that process to gain the best possible result ? The minimum and maximum for each of the wavy graphs is set by the quality % of the material. End result Sharkee has a new shed.

2) Only other way would be to have key terms used in the RL architecture world as questions in a mini game to boost the quality - Sad thing with that is the answers would be leaked onto the net pretty fast so it would just become a fail unless there was a huge db of the various trades questions.

3) or do you mean RL calculations and such, Im gonna be really pissed (just joking of course bud ;)) if this is what you mean cause I was <REDACTED> at structural engineering and if I ever have to spend 3 hours doing a second moment of area calculation for something I can obviously see needs a 2x4 I would die !
    End of the day you have to choose something that fits the player demographic and if the game is going to be say 12 yr old upwards I cant see the marketing people liking it. :(
  8. Sharkee

Sharkee Cupcake

Sure, make me look like the village idiot!! :D
  9. Maddog Charlie

No man you just built a Shed :) Im still on Dog Kennels and a cat carrier
    Sharkee likes this.
  10. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Nah... Just make it a QTE and mini-game. He has to connect the Knect to his computer and dance successfully, otherwise the building collapses. :D
    starspun, Sharkee and Maddog Charlie like this.
  11. Maddog Charlie

Just LMAO I can see me now directing a crew of protostar builders and a crane in my lounge.
  12. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

I can build a house in The Sims, but I can't build a good house.
    cali likes this.
  13. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

This is exactly what I mean, an editor where you can make designs and submit them.

No, this doesn't make any sense, does a real crafter watch an interface of 3 mini graphs that he has to stop when they reach their peak? Make it an outline of how the final item looks, and I have to carefully follow it with my mouse in X time. (evil face)
    I promise you, in a couple weeks time, your hand will be steadier than it ever was :p
  14. Foxxyness1

Foxxyness1 Cupcake

Prepare to have your mind's blown...

If we can change the colors on building and stuff we make... Rainbow city... Yup, that's a thing now! Don't judge me... lol :p
  15. Maddog Charlie

Right ok with ya now Shady LOL sorry bud I was thinking you meant something applying RL skills to crafting as in the actual gameplay, sorry bud was going completely wrong there LOL. Sharkee understood you but I was a little slow that day.
    So you mean like 'user content' there are a couple of other threads about that and yes Im a big fan of any user content allowed. Back in Pirates of the Burning Seas you were able to submit graphics for on the sails and flags that was really popular and I ended up submitting a lot for other guilds too. The graphics had to be pixel perfect so it was very frustrating at times but I learnt a lot about images.
    Problems with user content in any game are, that they must remain true to the original design appearance and that everything in game must not infringe global copyright restrictions so its always a massive job for a studio to review and approve such things, right from day one there would be a backlog of designs meaning it would take months to review approve and include in game.
    Now if they are for your own house in your own instance then that could be different but for the open world they would have to pass a lot of reviews and Im just not sure that would work being honest.
    Sure it could be a semi annual competition for a house design or something lower maintenance but sadly in the corporate world of games its a lawyers paradise of suing people for stuff and large user content pieces would be something they would be crawling all over like hungry flies.

Do a search here for 'user content' and you will see some very good threads detailing it in depth.
    That said if it could be done it would add enormous player investment to the game I agree.

But end of the day is the dev teams time better spent developing ongoing content rather than reviewing designs ?
  16. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, I know what you mean Charlie, and I agree with you too. I'd rather have new content than wait for the other xxx guilds on the server to have their designs approved.
    But hey, at least now we know, the "possible problem" is hardly possible anymore ;)