1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Should Carbine "Recruit" Guilds?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by thrastorm7, Feb 26, 2013.

1. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Hey everyone,

Recently i discovered something, something that most probably most of you know, several guilds and individual players broadcast their gameplay (streaming), i was surprised when i saw that not only they had thousands of players watching them, but several of those were donating real money to them.

Such people are also known as opinion makers...

So here i have a question, should Carbine recruit those guys and Guilds? I think that would make sense... i am not saying to pay them or anything similar, but could offer them some beta access, this way could have feedback from people that at their area seem to really good and they can provide feedback, that some others might can not.

Additionally would be a crash test, if such players find the game challenging and they continue playing upon release, will affect all those followers they have etc...

Plz one thing, don't turn this topic upside down, by analyzing the fanbois, or those that stream, or w/e... try to stick on topic please :)
    lusciifi and Wreck like this.
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I suspect they already will have plans to do so in some capacity - it certainly makes sense from a marketing perspective - and for testing raid content, by recruiting a raiding guild en masse to test that content with an pre-organised group.
  3. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

Did you mean Carbine?
    Recruiter likes this.
  4. thrastorm7

Tbh honest zap, i havent seen any other game doing it
  5. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

I hope they do. I think one of the smartest things Blizzard did back in the day was tap into the most dedicated of players for input. Heck, they even hired a few of them.

So My feeling is getting guilds and smart players in early would be a good thing for the game.

However, the streamers... I am not so sure about. They're more or less personalities, and might be good for exposure of the game to some extent... but wouldn't contribute much to the betterment of the gameplay.
  6. thrastorm7

Clearly
  7. Zap-Robo

PlanetSide 2 - recruited the "popular" internet personality TotalBiscuit to show off their beta gameplay. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6HgC6Exs0U
  8. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Ya, this is exactly the example I was thinking of when I said "no streamers" :) I'd rather see early exposure from core gamers rather than the personality-types.
  9. thrastorm7

streamers have followers :)

that means alot
  10. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

I don't know if it means as much as it would appear. Again, it might be helpful for core exposure to the game in an organic way, but in the context of making the game better, they're much better off getting guilds and core players in there, not the broadcasters. IMO :)
  11. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

I know its part of the beta application, to mention if you belong to a guild and the contact for the guild in question. I'd like to think that theres a testing purpose to asking this.

The only issue I see is the progression advantage given to guilds like this to other guilds where world/server firsts are a big thing. That would have to be addressed in some way.

streamers, aside from marketing I dont see the add value.
  12. Hope

Hope Cupcake-About-Town

13. Zap-Robo

Absolutely - does nothing for testing the game, but is a savvy way to get some "free" marketing. Even guilds are not guaranteed to be good for testing content, more than just dry-running large amounts/raids.

I agree, core players are the way to go from the testing perspective!
  14. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

as far as marketing goes, ya im aware of totalbiscuits promoting ps2 and brought it a LOT of attention. I think its a good move. Im sure we'll be seeing more of this.

guess im confused on the topic, are we talking about a pure marketing standpoint or for testing? because I can see streamers being used for marketing but not guilds really, and vice versa for testing.
    Kataryna likes this.
  15. Hope

Hope Cupcake-About-Town

Right, that was slightly off topic. :p

Recruiting established raiding guilds would definitely benefit the actual testing, especially when it comes to challenging end-game content.
  16. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

WoW did this in early beta, so did the Warhammer Online. The issue we ran into in both cases, is that it was still hard to get enough people on at one time to test.
  17. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

Most MMOs invite guilds to test that the devs are familar with and that have helped them test content in the past. In one very popular game almost all the guilds invited to alpha were known to devs and the community manager from one other game. It was rather a nice alpha as there were so many familiar faces and people that knew each other. It seems the trend lately to closed betas has been to reduce the amount of players a very small amount consisting of dedicated fans and people known the developers. This I think has been a good trend as it helped avoid many of the NDAs breaches we used to see and also bring in more focused and experienced players.
  18. thrastorm7

tbh i was mostly talking for the marketing opportunity here, not for the actual testing, you know that those guilds and players have the so called fanbois, following them wherever...

Imagine if Method, or paragon go out saying, we quit wow and we jump on wildstar blah blah...

Imo the impact would be huge..
  19. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I think getting internet personalities access to the game to give their impressions and hopefully increase peoples awarness of the game.

youtube over streamers though.

Thing about Total Biscuit and Jesse cox was that they both have an interest in the game they played so it made their opinion about the games a lot more validity.

I did not believe they were bought if that makes sense.
  20. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

I understood what you meant with your post. I don't think they need to "recruit" but people will play it. There's no need to say hey, here promote our game, when people will be playing it anyway. Stream personalities with high numbers of fans tend to jump around with new games and try them out. It will work the same, but their opinions are their own. It's much more valid, imo, if they are actually fans and promote the game on their own.