1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Should Carbine "Recruit" Guilds?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by thrastorm7, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Personally, I would love it if that happened. The best kind of work between a designer and his client is a long-term, working relationship with open, honest communication about the project.

There is no "Too Much" for the price for information; might as well get it from the best source ever: your customers. That, and little kids; you'll be surprised at how much honest, unbiased opinion the little buggers can give you, and what they notice that adults don't.
  2. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I think the idea has merit although with regards to exposure it's probably an idea to either allow unrestricted access when everything is ready to ship, or to limit areas that can be streamed simply due to a large portion of people nowadays thinking beta = finished product when they view footage (which can result in negative impressions).

With streamers from various games reaching upwards of 10k simultaneous viewers (using LoL as an example) you can certainly improve exposure.
    Could also explore the possibility of 'trading adverts' on sites/launchers with games of a different genre (not in direct competition) although you're not guaranteed the audience will be into MMO's in that scenario.
    Not really my area - will it be Carbine responsible for marketing or NCsoft or both as that might influence how it's approached.
  3. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

Everquest 2 devs used to have certain guilds always test content before release. Even to the extent of an encounter mechanics being emailed to them.
  4. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

IMO, using guilds is a great way to test the content but the issue you run into is hurting your overall community by letting curtain guilds experience the content first. I know from personal experience that having this early access to the content meant we were grinding it before it was even released to compete for world first with the other guilds who had access. It gave such an advantage. Look at PTR server for wow.

Who knows, just crossing my figures for an invite since I am not sure what kind of guild situation I will be in around beta time.
  5. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

The point of my thread was a bit different than some of you thought... Ofc it is important to test the content and so on, but i personally see Big Guilds as opinion makers and they affect several people, if they move to Wildstar, my thought is that there is a high chance the game to grow even faster...
  6. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

I don't see a particular guild choosing to play an MMO as a significant sign of... anything. Which guild(s) choosing to play Wildstar do you think would actually make a difference? Whose opinion matters to you?
  7. Qimx

Qimx Cupcake-About-Town

Riot pays money to LoL competitive teams.
    DotA2 allows the fans to buy "pennants" to represent their teams and a % of that money goes to the team.
    Streams/Sponsors/Teams, basically the e-sports are growing at one point to be almost considered a job, like a regular sport.
  8. TheJedi

TheJedi New Cupcake

The idea of focusing info from guilds only that are big names is a bad idea.
    Look what happened During cataclysm with Wow Paragon a guild who was known as a world first 25man guild.. decided with Cata dragon soul that it was more important to get world first then doing right by their Beta agreement and revealing a bug in the ptr. Instead they and a few other well known guilds hid the bug.. and then utilized the bug when ds went live and in a few days their entire raid team was geared out from lfr gear so they could have the advantage of getting past normal into heroics.IF other people didn't check their armory pages they wouldn't have known and instead all those guilds lost all that gear and were banned setting them back a full week. Which was huge .

get as many guilds of various sizes involved and various types involved. Don't focus on some Internet celebrities. Focus on utilizing the power of word of mouth.. if the game is as awesome as we have a feeling it will be that will be enough.
  9. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

Darkfall online gave people that applied as guild leaders or guild members up to 20 keys each to establish their guilds in beta. I believe carbine did say that they want to take a guild oriented approach in beta as well as the elder content would be what they need tested the most, and it requires 20-40 organized players to do it.
  10. Echelon

Echelon Cupcake

For all we know its already been going on but the guild is under a strict NDA...more harsher than what people normally sign.
  11. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

Speak about this and give up your first born!
    It isn't a scary NDA/NCC unless you have to send in personal information via snail-mail with a lawyers notary stamp on everything. *shudders*

Just sayin ;)
  12. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

Most games that are close to release normally give beta access for streamers to show their followers. It's pretty much a win-win situation for both the company and the streamer. The streamer gets more viewers and the company gets some hype. I would expect carbine to do this, but much closer to release when they start doing stress tests (if they do) and beta weekends or slightly before beta weekends (if the end up doing these)