1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Should Warparties be tied to Guilds?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Darkademic, Sep 12, 2013.

?

Should Warparties be tied to Guilds?

1. Yes - Warparties should represent a single Guild

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Optionally - Warparties should be given the option to represent a particular Guild

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. No - Warparties and Guilds should be entirely separate entities

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. Darkademic

Darkademic Cupcake

As far as we know, a Warparty is an entirely separate entity from a Guild. Members of a Guild can be part of a completely unrelated Warparty and vice versa.

While I don't have any problem with that, I think it'd be good if a Warparty had the option to represent a specific Guild. This could allow for Warparty accomplishments somehow interacting with or being beneficial to an associated Guild. Maybe this is already the case, for example raid groups aren't explicitly tied to a Guild in WoW, yet you can get Guild achievements by having the majority of the raid group being in the same Guild.

I'm also thinking about restrictions on who is able to contribute to a particular WarPlot in terms of bringing in supplies to build it up, or who can capture bosses for it. If you made a WarPlot represent a Guild, then Guild members would then also be able to enter the WarPlot and donate things to it, without actually having to be part of the Warparty which fights on it. Edit: I don't think this would lead to more imbalance, since you can already invite whoever you want to a Warparty, and some Warparties will unofficially represent a guild.

Finally, I think it'd add to the whole experience to be up against actual Guilds as well as just arbitrary Warparties.

Maybe it won't really be an issue, and I would expect most Warparties to be composed of members of one Guild, I just wonder if it'd be good to make the connection more explicit so that it actually allows the Guild and Warparty to benefit each other in some way, or to gain joint recognition.

Edit: I think it'd be nice to have a "Guild Warparties" tab as part of the Guild interface, allowing non-Warparty members track the wins/losses etc. of the Warparties representing their guild.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

So if a pure PvP guild makes a warparty, while a PvP AND Raiding guild makes a warparty they can have more people contributing to their warparty? (their raiding section will be able to contribute aswell).

As far I know everyone in the warparty can ''contribute'' to their warparty, that should be enough. No need to add the ''Guilds'' to that aswell. I personally love the segregation of the warparty and guilds, I don't wanna see them getting ''merged'' by various ''options''.

Also we know PvE bosses can be added to warplots already, for pure PvP warparties (PvP guilds) this can already be a big negative point for them.

Your option only increases the differences between pure PvP guilds (warparties) and Guilds that own both a guild as a warparty.

Warplots can have 40 people max, a pure PvP guild won't have 60+ members (if they have dedicated members). A mixed guild can have the same for their warparty and even more from their raiding parties (making them have more people contributing).

But anyway.....I don't think you can contribute that much....I rather think it's something achievable for all kind of guilds (even 20 member guilds/parties).

Please no benefits, it only adds to the problems pure PvP guilds (with only a PvP section) will have vs guilds that have both a strong PvP section as a Raiding section.

TL;DR
    It's a nice idea (for PvX guilds), but I just see too many negative points for pure PvP guilds/parties.....:cautious: So noty for me ;)
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  3. Sera Serenity

Sera Serenity Cupcake-About-Town

Well if war parties only represent a guild, then that would make them superfluous... Some Guilds may insist that they have only guild membership, but I see that as external to the concept of warparties
  4. Darkademic

Darkademic Cupcake

I'm not necessarily talking about mechanical benefits, I can see how that might cause some added imbalance depending on how it's implemented (more on this below). Speaking as a guild leader, I just find it weird that I won't be able to have a Warparty that explicitly represents my guild.

As for the problem of a PvX guild having more members to draw on, I'm pretty sure this will be the case even if Guilds and Warparties are kept functionally separate. For example, my guild will have a Warparty, and we'll also have two, perhaps three, raid groups. We'd then easily be able to temporarily invite raid members to the Warparty so we can give it a raid boss that we'd captured, or donate materials which you presumably need to build structures etc. And that's assuming Warparties can't have reserve (i.e. more than 40) members - if they can then what's stopping us adding a load of raiding members from our guild to it?

The only way to prevent the above would be to lock or have some kind of time restriction on Warparty membership, which would probably cause more problems than it'd solve.

I can't see linking Warparties to Guilds having any negative effects that won't be present either way.
  5. Darkademic

Darkademic Cupcake

It would, which is why I think it should be optional.

Some Warparties will represent a guild "unofficially" whether we like it or not (mine included), so my question is basically why not let the relationship be "officially" acknowledged in-game? This could be as simple as adding the guild name on the score screen at the beginning/end of a WarPlot match, or having a "Guild Warparties" tab on the Guild interface to allow other guild members that aren't in the Warparty to track their wins/losses.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well who says you can't name a guild and warparty the same?
    Or let them wear the same tabards?
    Have the same Guildleader? (Warparty-leader)
    etc.
    etc.

My problem with it, is that you want to make Guild and Warpty seem more like 1. While i'm completely pro to making it as seperated as possible :D

But the biggest problem = We don't have enough info about warparties yet......

Mayby it's already in? Mayby there are restrictions to ''contributing'' to a warparty and joining one? (Like you have to have played atleast 1 game before you are able to contribute).

Both our statements can come ''true'', but we just don't know anything yet.

But seeing how you can capture PvE bosses for PvP content (warplots) it's all the ''combination of PvE with PvP I need''....I'm just against almost all other ''combinations of content'', because I don't want them to go too far in it screwing up either one of the content.
  7. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

no I don't think the warparty should be limited to one guild.

A warparty could be comprised of a guild but not limited to only one guild is how I hope it would be.

otherwise smaller guilds are locked out of this mode which would be a shame.

accidentally voted for 3rd option instead of 2nd :oops: lol
  8. Darkademic

Darkademic Cupcake

The idea could extend to raids, battlegrounds and arenas actually.

WildStar seems to be incorporating many more competitive elements than past MMOs have, and an important aspect of competition is identity.

Sports teams aren't just a group of people, they're a brand, often with a lot of history and their own distinctive styles and philosophies.

That's really my main point here - that having distinctive competitors and having rivalries build up between well known and easily distinguishable groups of players is important and will bring a lot of depth to the community.

Not saying this can't happen with Warparties being entirely separate, I just get the feeling nearly all Warparties, especially the really dedicated ones, will be made up of members of a single guild, so it seems a little strange to keep them completely separate when in reality they're the same people.
  9. GloryHogXL

GloryHogXL Cupcake

Honestly, I think Carbine has made the right decision. Warplots should be and remain separate from guilds. The way I look at it Warplots are for Pvpers anyway, but there is nothing wrong with a guild sponsoring/ supporting a warparty of their own or someone else. Who knows? there maybe a option to integrate a warparty in a guild, but until more info is revealed we'll just have to wait and see.
  10. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

Not being following much on these forums so missed this, I'm very surprised that warparties are not tied to a guild, in fact will go as far as saying its bloody stupid that it's not.

I agree that you should have a option to have a separate WP, that's not tied to a guild, as smaller guilds or non guild members would not be able to participate, but if you want to have your WP linked to your guild that should definitely be there, that should have being the first consideration when they first thought of WP's.
  11. Hezrou

Hezrou Cupcake-About-Town

Warplots mixed with guilds makes me think of Aion's version of sieging. Drama over who's name will go on the fort first. lol
  12. Narwrynn

Narwrynn New Cupcake

I just hope they have tools for organizing war-parties. I really didn't like in WoW that rated BG team had so many problems organizing because we didn't have the tools available to a guild. Eventually my RBG team formed a guild to get those tools. So even if war-parties aren't tied to guilds by force players will make war-party oriented guilds. Just like you could form a raiding group without having everyone join one guild the tools afforded to guilds make organizing groups much easier. Personally I hope we have a guild roster and a war-party roster that act in similar ways such as they have their own chats and you can organize them in a similar way by ranks and such.
  13. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I want to be able to raid with one guild while still having the opportunity to be on a warplot team which may not be possible to be in my raid guild. Warparties should be more separate so that I can do both raids and warplots.
  14. GloryHogXL

GloryHogXL Cupcake

Exactly how I feel. The way I see it again, and I think I already said something like this before is.. Guilds & Warparties are the same but are created for different purposes. Guilds are for organizing players for PvE content mainly for Raiding, while Warparties are for organizing players for PvP content mainly WarPlots.
    It makes more sense to me that Warparties and Guilds should be entirely separate entities, so that PvEers can participate in both and PvPers can participate in both. Now how valuable a PvEer in Warplots and PvPer in Raids is something we will have to wait and see... Either way I do like the option of participating in a Guild and Warparty.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  15. Xlugon Pyro

Right.

I plan to do both as competitively as possible so I'll be gearing/studying/practicing as is appropriate for both PvE and PvP. :)
  16. GloryHogXL

GloryHogXL Cupcake

Doing Both competitively will be extremely time consuming and hard. My old school logic tells me that you can be good at both but great at none. I plan to just gear up/study/practice one aspect of the game (PvP) and dominate casuals and good players.
  17. Xlugon Pyro

We'll see what happens. Chances are I'll gravitate more towards the one where I'm having the most success. In WoW that was PvE because there were virtually no PvPers on my server. Ultimate goal is to have fun. :)
  18. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Then you are either VERY OLD, or just not good enough to have seen it before.
    I say the latter.

I'm (in this case) with Xlugon, and i've done it before. You know where I get that extra time from?
    Only having 1 character, instead of having 1 main and X amount of stupid alts.
    Once I settled with my class I only play that class, and I do everything on it. Achievment hunting, compet. PvP and PvE etc. etc.

It's doable in other games, and nothing has convinced me yet that it ISN'T doable in WS.
    Treylor likes this.
  19. GloryHogXL

GloryHogXL Cupcake

OK! I hear you. But lets just say your Guild has a progression Raid schedule tonight at 800 pm and your Warparty has mandatory arena group matches @ 730 pm, followed by Warplot prep and Launch. Which one are you more likely to participate in, because you can not commit to doing both? While you are attempting to be competitive at doing multiple aspects of the game, there are players only attempting to being competitive at one aspect of the game and odds are they will be better then you at doing that one thing they do all the time. That is all I am saying, I'd rather focus at doing one thing at a time and be great at that one thing than.. focus on everything and just being good at everything.
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Why lay a ''problem'' in front of me that shouldn't be a problem?

First:
    My guild would not raid 7 days a week.
    Neither would my warparty.

Second:
    My warparty will play at days that our guild does NOT raid (or vice versa), seeing as I'll be joining a PvX guild that knows that we first have to raid to get the bosses for our Warplot. And if there are more PvX guild I think more and more people will just ''Warplot siege'' late in the week.

Third:
    Doing the same thing all the time can bring people in a rut, and that's when they are most vulnerable. Also time spend doing something DOES NOT equal skills in that what they are doing :p

Fourth:
    Doing both raiding and PvP'ing on competative level can instead increase my chances for I not only learn what to do in 1 situation but I learn from a multitude of situations both PvP and PvE which I can use in both.

Fifth:
    If, by some wonder, I would not be able to be competative on both...then I just make sure i'm still in the top of raiding, but not trying to go for that Realm/Server firsts. That way I still have the highest gears and know what the raiders do but I do not have that ''first'' achievs...whih tbh I don't really mind that much.

Six:
    Although I can't always say for 100% i'll be able to do it...i'm looking at previous games were I did it.
    Now if WS will indeed take more time/skill etc. etc. then....it might prove difficult or mayby impossibe.
    But for now all I can say is: ''I can always TRY'' ;)