1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Skill shots?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by qqmoarploxify, Mar 11, 2013.

1. qqmoarploxify

qqmoarploxify Cupcake-About-Town

So for those of you who aren't familiar with what a "Skill shot" is let me enlighten you: A skill shot is an ability that you have to carefully aim at an enemy in order for it to hit them. The most common example I can think of is from League of Legends. Here is a video link to show you exactly what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Vh8u6IgWI .

As you can see, when the player activates the ability they are given a targeting reticle that shows where the ability is going to go. Champions that have skill shots are normally harder to play then champions that don't.

Now transfer this to Wildstar. My question is, would you like to see skill shots in Wildstar? I already know that there will be the classic targeting system and some abilities will have those warnings on the ground (I honestly can't think of the name right now as I haven't slept in quite awhile) and that it will be applied to characters but I'm not sure if they are going to necessarily be a "skill shot" rather then they go where the enemy your targeting is.

So, would you like espers to aim fire balls and warriors to aim their weapon toss?
  2. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

So, at risk of exposing my LoL noob-ness (I don't play since I hate the click-to-move control format) is it a rules-based combat system? i.e. where status contribute to the outcome?

I don't know if "aiming" is really ever going to be a thing, but I long dreamed for more "group combo" abilities... along the lines of extending what LoTRO did, or even GW2 (but their condition system makes that implementation fail.)

So I think the skill should come in a) through group play and b) not be twitch based

But yes I'd like to see another layer of combat depth!
  3. qqmoarploxify

Sorry I don't follow the rules-based combat system, any chance you can go into bit of detail? When you say status contribute to the outcome I'm not 100% sure what you mean by that. I'm not imposing that we take the combat system from LoL because that would be near impossible to implement on an MMO like wildstar but rather taking the skill shot portion and applying it to their current system.
  4. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

Skill shots, really only play into a game that has some sort of active dodging imo! ( I think this has been confirmed for Wildstar)
  5. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

From what I understand Wildstar uses a skill shot based system primarily. You can target things to help you aim but its still a position / aim based game from what I understand. That's one of the major reasons Telegraphs were added.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2drSLGGQ8ME

If you watch he may click on targets but it does not lock onto them in the traditional way like WoW. Attacking is position based so you need to actually aim your character at your target, and use the Telegraphs to aid you.
  6. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

When I played at arkship, my first thought with the combat was that it felt like an MMO crossed with League of Legends. In WoW and SWTOR, I ignored everything except for aggro radius of the mobs. When I played in Deradune, I felt like I needed to keep track of my positioning a lot more. It was a nice feeling
  7. qqmoarploxify

So how is the combat system? Is it mostly like skill shots or is it more of a targeting? If you can't disclose because of the NDA I totally understand.
  8. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

In the videos we have seen lately, it's all skill shots. Though are they skill shots if the enemies don't doge.
  9. qqmoarploxify

Well when the tanks need to kite the boss :p I'm gonna be healing so I'm excited/scared to see how the skill shots will play into healing.
  10. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

As far as i am aware there is an active dodge in Wildstar and with telegraphs skill shots are possible though probably mostly for ranged such as spellslinger and Esper who both have to aim their ranged telegraph abilities at enemies.
  11. HoneyBadger

HoneyBadger Cupcake

Stalker is seen having a Telegraph on his regular attack, so I hope -everything- in the game has a telegraph.
  12. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Rules-based combat in the case of an RPG means that the numbers (stats) are the primary factor in determining the outcome of combat.

So if I am understanding your question, then due to the nature of the game, there would be no way to, for example, kill someone with a "headshot" or something that sidesteps the stats completely.

Now, you can of course improve your stats (in some cases in real-time) for certain abilities for example by positioning or synergizing with other abilities (or those of other classes.) But there shouldn't be a way to completely sidestep stats with a "skill shot" in a rules-based combat system.
  13. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

I've been told most things are telegraphed in this except a few things, but i was referring to the ranged classes as it's not really a skill shot with melee characters if you're standing up close with the enemy in my opinion haha.
  14. HoneyBadger

HoneyBadger Cupcake

It does give you prediction and time to actually know when his attack launched, so that you can either move out of the cone or dodge. Despite the animation being visible, it's a great idea to have it if for a lot of weird situations.

Such as Gnomepunting.
  15. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

They've said that there are some single target abilities, but I don't remember seeing any in my 1.5 hours.

I loved the combat, and I wasn't a huge fan of the GW2 style so that should say something :p
  16. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Depends if they use a projectile based system for 'shots' or a hitscan style. Projectiles have a travel time and need to connect with the target so if it dodges/moves erratically they are harder to land.
    Hitscan style the shot 'hits' the second it is fired and results are calculated (ie no need to lead your target or anything and can't be dodged by movement, dodges via a 'dodge' mechanic are calculated when the shot is fired) and the animation of the shot will travel to the target (following it through any movement changes if it's been calculated as a hit).
    Apologies if my terminology is terrible!

Examples of projectile based shots:
    Planetside 2 (more noticable in sniping where you lead targets/compensate for bullet drop), DDO, GW2 etc - simple movement can avoid shots fired at you as the projectile animation must connect with the target to 'hit'.

Examples of hitscan style shots:
    WoW (you'd see hunter arrows, spells etc curve/pass through terrain etc to follow targets that were moving that had been 'hit' when the skill/attack was first used), a lot of bullet using guns in FPS games (DooM, Quake, TF2 etc).

So if they use projectiles then it will allow for some element of skillshots at the very least.

Edit: I guess you could argue that AoE templates with a delay before activation could be classed as skillshots and I think we've seen some of the esper/spellslinger attacks needing channel/cast times before firing if that counts for you?
  17. jordan coughlin

jordan coughlin New Cupcake

Yess yesss yess. i agree very much, i really do like the idea of free form casting as in aiming where you want, and that alows your single target abilities when targeting to hit multiple enemies too. i think this new "skill shot" as you guys call it, is brilliant.
  18. qqmoarploxify

Well if I'm getting that correctly, skill shots do increase their damage based on your stats but it's not really a rule-based system. Even if the skill shot's increase with damage, if you can't land a skill shot on the enemy then your stats mean nothing.
  19. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

Rule-based combat has nothing to do with tab target or true aim, just an FYI

You can have True aim and an ruled system at the same time, This of course is all based off if you actually land the hit. IMO True aim (skill shot) is a lot more enjoyable system. Now if the combat system is similar to Tera, which it seems to be. You will have True aim (skill shot) and Lock-on abilities as well. Having both of them really makes combat feel very dynamic.

I know that in Most True aim (skill shot) games lock-on abilities are projectile based meaning if you can LOS or out range the ability it doesn't land.