1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Skill Tree Balancing

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by azmundai, Dec 8, 2013.

1. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

Disclaimer: I'm just shooting this off the top of my head. It may or may not even be all that good of an idea .. feel free to disagree.

What if there was a system that, for example, allowed players to build up spells through skill trees. So you can take your fireball, and make it do more damage down one tree or more crit down another, and then apply that to any other thing that can be done to modify skills. Fireballs though wouldn't be able to add slow time, only frostbolts, so there would be limited trees for each spell.

Now on top of that, add a modifier to the effects that these trees give, and base that modifier on the number of people on the server, or in the game as a whole, that use that specific tree.

So for example, if tier 1 of the crit to fireball tree adds 1 crit rate to fireballs, you would divide 1 by the percentage of mages that use the crit tree, so the first tier of the fireball crit tree would only give 0.5 crit rate to fireballs if 50% of the server was specced that way.

Maybe this doesn't make much sense at first, but I was thinking that in a "reality" situation, the more people use things and get familiar with them, the more ways to counter them come up, and this would sort of replicate that.

It would add a lot of emphasis on constantly tweaking your spec, which some people would like, and others would probably find annoying.

It would potentially depreciate the value of cookie cutter specs as well.

Again, just a random idea that floated through my head. What do you all think? (yes i realize there are no fireballs in WS :p )
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

So....that will be checking out your build every hour to see if I still do max damage for my min/maxer raid build or/and for my arena build :rolleyes:

Da horrors!
  3. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

yea that would be a little crazy .. idk .. maybe it only updates every day or 2?

as I said it might not be that great of an idea :)
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Worst would be if you had to pay to respecc it :p Best money sink EVER!

But I came up with s similar idea some time ago....although I saw too many objections to post it on here ;) Although mine was not about the talents but about the skills on their own. Nerfing it by 0.01% each week if used as the nr1 spell for that class (to explain it in 1 sentence).

But I just see too many objections.....I think mo matter what we do we can never eliminate cookie-cutter builds/speccs.