1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Slinger build theorycrafting

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by calebrus, Jan 24, 2014.

1. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

I've been playing around with the builder over at ws-base a bit and I think I've come up with something that I want to try out. This would be a healing/cc/damage/hybrid loadout for general use in group content.

http://ws-base.com/builds/generator...6.177.266.267.223.224.225.268.214.215.924.470

LAS:
    Mobile Fire: t4 (basically auto-attack spam for run & gun)
    Charged Shot: t3 (low CD, good damage when mobility isn't necessary)
    Frozen Bolt: t3 (low CD, damage & snare)
    Cone of Frost: t3 (longer CD, med focus cost, damage & root)
    Dual Fire: t4 (no CD, low focus, FreeForm dps/heal combo)
    Healing Torrent: t4 (no CD, med focus, good FF heal)
    Runic Healing: t4 (no CD, low focus, targeted heal)
    Gate: base (longer CD, med focus, escape/interupt/stun)

So that gives me some decent DeePS when I don't need to run & gun, and just basic auto when I do.
    It gives me some CC (snare, root & stun), mainly focusing on the snare for keeping distance as it's no cost and low CD. Lots of tools for dealing with iArmor.
    It gives me a sleight escape button if I need it.
    It gives me options for healing a specific target if I really need to, a stronger heal for myself and any others that need it, and a third heal that also DeePS if I'm in a position to use both effectively (and with proper positioning this would be my main healing unless something stronger or more focused is needed, while also being low cost).
    And it gives me great mobility with only one stationary skill (because I tiered a couple to be more mobile).

AMPS were spent mostly on mobility, survivability, and support.

So what does your initial theorycrafted build look like?
  2. eharper256

eharper256 Cupcake-About-Town

Not to be rude, but is there any reason this can't go on the Post your LAS topic?
  3. calebrus

Because that wasn't on the first couple pages of threads when I made this, so I didn't know that it existed. And this one is just for Slinger concepts, while I find the other a bit too erratic (after I found it later).
  4. Redbaron

Redbaron New Cupcake

Looks good. I don't know how good charged shot will be or how much it will be used.
  5. calebrus

Yeah, not in beta so I have no clue. I figured I'd leave one stationary potentially big damage shot on paper. Without seeing it in action there's no way to know. But that's what I like about theorycraft. ;)
    Distortion or Void Slip will probably replace it if it turns out to not be worth it, but it's a good placeholder in my mind for now.

Got any SS concepts to share?
    Redbaron likes this.
  6. Redbaron

Redbaron New Cupcake

7. calebrus

Not too different indeed. Damned near identical, AMPs and all, but with a little more damage vs my little more CC.
    I considered Barrage, but I don't remember why I stuck with Charged initially.
  8. Redbaron

Redbaron New Cupcake

I felt the AMPs were pretty solid. The double stack of ignite with the T8 sounds really powerful to me.

With a warrior having an almost perma-snare, Frozen bolt seems kinda wasted in a group PVE environment. Barrage could be tiered to AOE snare if necessary I guess.

I'm always playing around with the builds though. Gonna be interesting to see how it all pans out once we get our hands on the spells personally.
    calebrus likes this.
  9. calebrus

My thought process isn't necessarily about who else in the group can do what, but rather what I can do.
    I expect healing with a Slinger to be pretty tough at times.
    I look at it like this: I should be able to keep myself at range at all times, even if/when we get swarmed with trash and overwhelmed. Because that's when the Slinger is going to run into trouble trying to keep healing effectively.... when things turn south. Light armor + narrow targeting is going to make it *tough* when things go south.
    With a solid 6.6% run speed buff, a 25% movement buff on Mobile Fire, and a 7sec 35% snare on a 6sec CD, I'll be moving 35-65% faster than the mobs chasing me, depending on which attacks I'm using. I should be able to simply outrun the trouble scenarios by circle-strafing and keeping the party inside that circle. I hate playing a healer and forcing the DPS to pull off to save me. I'll take care of myself, thank you, and also continue to take care of you in the process. :)
    That's the idea, anyway.
    But yeah, can't wait to get my hands on it and see how/if it works that way.
  10. Azer

Azer Cupcake

I dont see charged shot as having any real use outside of solo PvE as an opener.

I was considering as similar build but with Ignite and Flame Burst instead of charged shot and quick burst.

The overall dps on Ignite is going to be pretty good since it only has a 1sec cast and you're generally going to be healing so you wont overwrite your DOT. When your dot tics crit you can pop Flame Burst (pretty sure it's off GCD -- and if not it's instant cast)
  11. zekkdarklighter

zekkdarklighter Cupcake

hehe, I never knew that thing existed... now I'm having fun playing with the skill trees...lol

Deffinitly need to know what you are aiming for with the current amps, so good we can try those out here...
  12. Tryst

Tryst New Cupcake

I am thinking of the following for PVP, having not been in Beta have no idea how good this would be:

http://ws-base.com/builds/generator...2.195.196.202.204.205.206.266.267.268.307.308

LAS:
    Quick Draw (T4): mobility and also synergizing with Trigger Fingers AMP to reduce defensive CDs.

Wild Barrage (Base): armor piercing higher dps on CD.

Assassinate (T4): really struggled with this but wanted an execute for when a healer is CCed and can land a kill. Having 3 charges should ensure that, would likely want to leave two for kills and be using one of the three on CD.

Runes of Protection (T4): like a shield that mitigates damage and is enhanced with AMPs.

Regenerative Pulse (T1): heal every 15 seconds (less with Trigger Fingers) should be a good on demand instant heal.

Gate (Base): Can be used defensively for kiting or offensively to stun to set up a kill.

Flash Freeze (Base): Root with slight damage to get spacing.

Void Slip (T8): the oh %&$! button to get out of a bad spot, clear debuffs, heal for 8% on top of increased regen through AMPs and to reset fight.

Offensive AMPs focus on a crit build, both on chance and severity within Assault, but to also reduce PVP Defense through the A/U Hybrid via Penetrating Rounds as well as increasing PVP Offense.

Defensive AMPs focus on increased base speed (when I don't have mobility and assuming the meta is everyone will have this so if I don't I am running 6.6% slower), increased PVP Defense, and further reducing shield CD and increasing capacity (assuming this impacts Runes of Protection...if not then would look to swap some defensive abilities out likely into CC Resist).