1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Slinger Or Engi?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by coreymj78, Dec 20, 2013.

1. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

So in WoW*cough* I played a hunter. In Rift I was a rogue (with Ranger soul), in SWTOR I was a Slinger, and in other MMO's, I always took the class closest to ranger or whatever the highest range DPS class was. I like pets, but I can live without them if it means my DPS will be higher. Now I have heard that Wildstar will be a LOT less about DPS than it will mobility, timing, action combat, etc. I like this fact and I am by no means one of those people who just like to be top of the DPS charts, etc. But I do like to be as effective as I can be in combat.

All that said, and based on this info, which class do you think I would enjoy the most? I am torn between Slinger and Engineer. I like the idea of a Slinger since this seems to be WS's signature ranged DPS class (non-casting), but I also enjoy combat pets and I know the Engineer has two bots it can control and also has ranged DPS. So I just don't know.

Anyone have any light they can shed on my dilemma?
  2. Grelin

Grelin Cupcake

Well based on the live-stream, Engy's will be slowed down by 30% when they cast their abilities. They are more tanky though and have pets... to balance that. Still as a Hunter or a Rogue (in Rift) or Shadow Warrior/Squig Herder in Warhammer Online, I would say Spellslinger seems to be the top choice for you. They will have a lot of abilities to stay at a far distance, troll the hell out of other classes, and deal some good deeps.

I'll play both classes personally because I love me some pets, but I also love my skillful trolling. It will be fun to be sure.
  3. coreymj78

Perfect. Thank you.
  4. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

Slinger is if you want to be the agile squishy wizard type. dies fast but they have to actually hit you. You out range everybody and can even disappear into the void if the rotary air accelerator suffers from high speed feces impact.

Engineer has the Rambo feel IMO. designed to take punishment and carry a big gun wading through enemies shouting get some in a mountain of spent brass.
  5. coreymj78

Ok, I wonder just how squishy the Slinger will be. I mean I saw it more as a Ranger class with medium armor than a caster with light armor. I could be mistaken though. Also I don't know about the Engy as being "rambo", he seems more of a techy, gadgety, pet-controlling, Mr. Gadget, smarty-pants, always-something-up-the-sleeve type class. I'm sure it all depends on how you choose to view your character though. :)

I hope the Slinger isn't too completely gimped on armor. I think this will be the class I would roll first. I also don't like to tank, just sit back and chill with some mad deeps. That's another reason to roll another class besides a class that is capable of tanking because it seems like every time I roll a tanking capable class, everyone expects me to tank, even when I've specced my toon for DPS. Just one of those annoying things.

Thanks for the info though. I appreciate it.
  6. Shizzle

Shizzle New Cupcake

Hey Corey, I believe your Slinger is gonna feel a lot more "caster" like than a WoW hunter. They definitely seem to have a number of cast-time abilities, many with elemental damage aspects. Emphasis on the SPELLslinger. I'm with you after experiencing a SWTOR gunslinger, and these guys are a lot more mage-like.

On the other hand, engineers seem to be like the kooky tinkering gunmakers. They do sit in the back and pump out heavy dps. And just remember, if you feel any pressure to tank, literally every other person with you adding to that pressure could be rolling a support class as well. I think we'll be seeing PLENTY of dps engineers.

I feel like I'm leaning my suggestion to you in the Engi direction cause it does seem to fit your past experiences better. More physical damage (and tech) oriented, less of a caster. Zapping, exploding, and kabooming enemies to smithereens.

-Shizzle
  7. coreymj78

Well now you gone and done it! Thanks a lot! Man, and I had my class all picked out and everything. Now I'm looking at Engy again. You could really be right about all this. It's not that I hate cast skills, althought that is a factor, it's more that I don't like light armor classes, but now that I'm looking at the Slinger more closely, I'm getting the feeling that he is more mage-like than I had thought. Hmph.

What I don't get is, if the Engy can sit back and pump out DPS from afar, well, how far? And if it's more physical DPS than spell DPS, I wonder what it's skills are like? You say more explosive, projectile type stuff (which would be sweet since I adored the Rogue's Saboteur soul in Rift), I wonder how much like a ranged DPS class it plays. Now I'm thinking I'm just going to have to try both and decide on one after I get both to level 30 or something. Which I suppose will just add to my fun right? :)
  8. coreymj78

Now, imagine this: What if they had created an Engi-slinger that could be at max range, shoot with rifles and blasters AND have bots AND toss explosives, troll people like mad, and have all the gadgets and <REDACTED> to boot? That would be the class to play. lol
  9. Pestilinz

Pestilinz Cupcake

More than likely the class to beat with a nerf bat but it'd be fun while it lasted
  10. coreymj78

True that. I think I might try a Draken Engineer first. Then maybe a Mordesh Slinger, to get a taste of both factions. I think a Draken Engy would look sweet. Love the way the Draken look.

EDIT: Oh wait, you can't be a Draken Engineer?
  11. Shizzle

Shizzle New Cupcake

Have you looked much at their skill builder? I think you said somewhere else your work might block it, but check out http://www.wildstar-arkship.de/actionsetbuilder/en/engineer/

I'm thinking from footage we've all had access to they do shotgun-like effects combined with lightning zapping and some explosive elements mixed in. Definitely long range dps, though not quite as long as Spellslinger. But yeah, the spellslinger seems to operate a lot more like a WoW mage. And I'm hearing you being all about the huntard. J/k man.

Let's be honest, we know you're gonna do both and love both :)
  12. Shizzle

Shizzle New Cupcake

Also, say goodbye to those dreams of a Drakkan Engi. Not possible. They can be slingers though.
    Chua, Mechari (my personal fav), or Cassian
    Yikes. Can of worms reopened...

Forget Mordesh though, you know you'd rather be a cog in the Dominion machine than a smelly, skraggly Exile.

-Shizzle
  13. coreymj78

Yeah possibly. In wow the Survival Hunter is just under the Frost Mage in terms of DPS, but I went with the hunter just because I don't like running around in a light armor robe. Cloth armor just never appealed to me. It's like I feel like I'm fighting in a bath robe.
  14. coreymj78

You are right, forget Exile. What was I thinking? I was already planning on Dominion just because I'm always a bad guy faction, and they seem more bad ass to me anyway. I just noticed I couldn't be a Draken Engy, that was also stupid since they are more mechanical and probably less beast-like.

Mechari Engineer it is then. They look cool. Then a Draken Slinger. Yeah that will work. :)
  15. Shizzle

Shizzle New Cupcake

How about fighting in a bad-a$$ mech-suit you built in your basement? And heavy armor underneath...

which doesn't mean you tank

it just means you can pull huge groups of mobs and explodergize them all up together without vaporizing like an esper or spellslinger would

-Shizzle
  16. coreymj78

Mechari Engineer it IS. Aw man, come on, you're making me want to play NOW. Grrrrrrr.....
  17. Radiohero

Radiohero New Cupcake

They way I see it, Engineers play a lot like a Vanguard from SWTOR, lots of electricity, explosives, heavy armor etc. Whereas the Spellslinger's a highly mobile, long-range, pinpoint DPS.
    The former is going to be up in the thick of it a lot more, I don't think any of their main damage abilities go further than 30m and most stay around 20m. On the other hand, Spellslingers have the longest range in the game and can do a lot more kiting and running around.
  18. Galium

Galium Cupcake

I was really interested in the spellslinger after watching the class videos, but after watching some pvp footage of the spellslinger it seemed like it has far to many long cast time abilities, it looked kinda bulky to play. That said it was only level 15 and I only found the one actual gameplay video so far. List more if you know of them.
  19. Kay

Kay Cupcake

It seems to me the Spellslinger is a hybrid of the archery-based hunter and your typical mage - with abilities both focused on physical and magical damage. Abilities like Trushot, Assassinate, and Rapid Fire seem to emulate typical archer-type abilities.

Really, I'd say if you wanted a hunter-like class with archery skills, you'd want to roll a Spellslinger with a focus on DPS and abilities that can be cast while moving. If it's pets you want, you'd roll an engi, hands down.

Me, I'm a mage fan, so I'm rolling 'Slinger and boosting magic skills. :D
  20. coreymj78

Hmm, well thanks fellas, more to think about. I'm still torn because I like aspects of both Engy and Slinger, then there are parts I don't like about both. Here is my thinking:

As far as the Engineer, I like the bots, the heavier armor, the gadgets, etc. but I don't like the shorter range skills, the speed penalty with ranged, and also still worried about tanking expectations.

As far as the Slinger, I like the long range, the mobility, the void slip skill, etc. but I don't like the light armor, the emphasis on "spells" and magic, and I don't favor cast skills, unless you can move while casting. And normally hunter classes have medium armor, so yeah, you can't be a tank, but you aren't like super squish like clothies either. Know what I mean?

Anyway, I still can't make up my mind so maybe I'll just try both and see what I like best. Maybe level them both to 20 or so before I make a decision. I normally roll one class and stick with it so I can maximize my time and effort and not fall behind because I'm trying to progress an alt at the same time. Yeah, I guess you can tell what kind of player I am.