1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Slinger Or Engi?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by coreymj78, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I can think of an idea for each class. I might want to try the engineer first. Just because their robots are going to be so unique compared to any other classes. I do imagine the Engineer as the walking armor and mini army.

But what draws my interest to Spellsingers is apparently their great mobility. Though I do fear they may be too much of a glass cannon.
  2. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

You stated my thoughts exactly. The light armor is the main thing I'm uncomfortable with as far as Spellslingers. the main thing I'm not sure about with the Engineer is the speed penalty when using ranged skills, and obviously the fact that it's not full range, it's more like semi-range.
  3. Montanx

Montanx New Cupcake

First post, so hello all.

OP, I am going through the same dilemma, wanting a ranged dps class and deciding between sling and eng. I was all set to go slinger for sure, then I watched Zybacks pvp videos and some of his comments and opinions combined with the gameplay have swung me towards eng. U can/have watch his vids already and if not u can look them up. But he makes some points about the slinger being a great class but also a skill intensive one. Meaning light armor and narrow telegraphs mean players who are nimble and have great aim can do extremely well vs someone newer to the game. But non mmo gods may feel underpowered. He believes the slinger has the highest skill cap in the game of any class. On the other end, he remarks how when playing engy he is always at the top of dps charts in pvp and the sustained Dmg is easier to dish out regularly as opposed to bursty slinger Dmg. He has decent length pvp vids so u can at least get a good look. Engy has heavy armor but almost zero mobility skills so there's def a trade off.

In the end I'll try both and see wich flow and style I prefer, but I'm not going to pretend I'm some mmo god so I'll admit, the heavy armor ranged dps class engineer sounds great to me so I'm leaning eng.
  4. coreymj78

Good points, and I'll look those up. I've seen a few of his vids already. Yeah I believe you are correct. I have also been leaning towards engi as well. I just can't dig the light armor-ness and spell-ness of the slinger. It just seems more and more like a mage to me.
  5. Radiohero

Radiohero New Cupcake

You can cast while moving as a spellslinger at no penalty to movement speed.
    From what I've heard, armour matters a lot in this game. It's not like in wow where a mage can out-live a warrior or paladin. My first toon is undoubtedly going to be an Engineer because I love heavy armour classes, but the mobility and burst of the spellslinger look like a lot of fun.
    At the end of the day do you want to be a Walking Fortress (emphasis on the walking) or a speedy Glass Cannon
  6. coreymj78

No I mean, I thought the Engineer had a penalty to speed when using it's ranged skills. No? I can't seem to get a definite answer on this.
  7. Anzriel

Anzriel New Cupcake

Yeah it seems they have a speed penalty while using skills. Cast-time abilities that is.
  8. coreymj78

Yeah. I just wonder how noticable it is. I know that slow-mo affects can be extremely frustrating in some MMO's. Feels like you are trying to walk through peanut butter.
  9. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

A high speed penalty would be really punishing for the class. It would make it harder to get out of telegraphs, but heavy armor might make up for some of that. It would be worse in pvp. Sure you can attack someone, but what to do when they start to run away? It would mandate having to have a type of crowd control to slow them down in your LAS bar.
  10. Anzriel

Anzriel New Cupcake

Sadly based on what I've seen it's a significant slowdown. Looks like the kind of thing that would force you to eat telegraphs rather than dodging. Of course this is based solely on video. lol

I don't have a beta key so I can't say from experience.
  11. Illumy

Illumy New Cupcake

From what floats in my Head its a 30% Movemet Speed Penalty. But then again you have Heavy Armor.
  12. coreymj78

Yeah not too bad. I think dodge will more than make up for it, as long as you don't use dodge too much and run out of juice.
  13. Khaaan

Khaaan New Cupcake

I still have big hopes for the engineer as it is nearly tailormade for my playstyle but lets face it: When was the last time any kind of better armor type has made any MMO class more viable or survivable than the ability to heal one self?

I mean the spellslinger moves quicker, does more damage and can heal himself and anyone else. The engineer has heavy armor...
    Unless heavy vs light armor means a damage mitigation to all kinds of damage, this will not be an even playing field.

In leveling PVE it will come done to a matter of personal taste and the ability to stand in a telegraph once in a while will probably make the engineer a viable choice. But since this won`t be possible in any kind of endgame content nor in pvp, I would think that spellslingers will from a game mechanic viewpoint be the stronger class.

Mind you I will probably start with an Engineer but I am bracing myself for an experience not unlike the old days in WoW where I never gave up the hopes for the Paladin ;)
  14. coreymj78

The Slinger can heal himself with certain support skills, but if you are trying to maximize your DPS, then slotting healing skills would be sacrificing your assault based skills and therefore your DPS. On top of that, if you want decent DPS, you're going to want to focus on Finesse as a main stat and Moxie as a secondary stat. If you want to heal well, then you will need to focus on entirely different stats (Insight, etc).

If you want to maximize your assault, you'd want to soley focus on assault. I supposed you could be a hybrid, but I'm not personally a big fan of hybrid classes since all it does is prohibit maximization of any one role. I'm not saying that hybrids don't have a purpose, but I just don't care for it because I like to focus everything into one role in order to be successful in that specific role.
  15. Khaaan

Khaaan New Cupcake

What I meant was that the Spellslinger will probably have a much better survivability both in pvp and pve because healing oneself is normally way more efficient than having heavy armor which will probably translate in 20% better physical damage mitigation and no advantage at all against magic and tech damage.

In pvp a spellslinger will likely go for a hybrid built with a good portion of healing power but only around 80% potential in damage, which should theoretically make him very hard to kill, while in a pve environment he can go full assault and still have a basic healing option (probably still stronger than the rep bot of the engineer)

But hey I am just afraid that Carbine cant balance a healing dps class. That does not mean I dont still hope they are able to do it ;)
    Maybe they do it perfectly making my favorite class until now: the engineer viable as a DPS while still being fun and my second favorite: the spellslinger also very attractive and not more powerful but still different and interesting to play.

I`ll probably only know after having leveled both classes in the retail version ... which means I would have to play much Wildstar... sounds like fun :D
  16. coreymj78

Right, and I was simply saying that in PvE, I don't see hybrid Spellslinger builds being as viable as focusing on maximuzing either assault or support. In PvP, that is a different story, you are right. Hybrid's should be much more common. As far as balancing, we shall see. But as I have heard, Spellslinger's are getting a lot more playtime than Engineers. I can't really speculate as to why, but I have my own opinions. ;)
  17. RedBlazz

RedBlazz New Cupcake

Well i would gladly start with an spellslinger cuz of their mobility and damage burst.But it all matters how you like running the game : like a big engineer that doesnt deals that much damage but is still hard to kill or being the light thing that just goes around the field and kills every1 so quick so they can get a swing at him.Engineer is an cool class cuz he wears heavy armor while shooting from a range and dealing some damage with the help of his pets we can call them but i dont know i still miss my full burst hunter in wow so i need something to decrease the pain !