1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Slip 'n Slide

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Dalset, May 26, 2013.

?

Does this bother you?

1. Yes

20.0%
  2. No

80.0%
  1. Dalset

Dalset New Cupcake

Juuust a quick post here!

I'm noticing more and more how characters slide across the ground like it's made of ice. on grass. does this bother anybody else?

I feel like this simple thing could ruin my whole experience as I'm frustratingly battling with it as I accurately jump my way up a puzzle platform, only to slide off because of it.

P.S. I looked around and couldn't find anything related to my question, but maybe I didn't look hard enough! sorry if this has been addressed already.

Have a good one!

2. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

Not really, sounds like it'll make jumping puzzles more interesting.

3. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

I'm not quite sure I get what you mean. Do you mean that sometimes the animation does not fit the speed you are moving at, so your feel slide a bit with each step?

WoW had it really good there, the feet stayed planted firmly on the ground when you were moving, The animation matched perfectly, and I hope we get the same thing.

Is that what you are referring to?

4. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

I haven't noticed this at all. Got a particularly egregious example? I'd like to take a look. I'm assuming you're saying that there's too much inertia and it's not simply an animation issue?

WakeskaterX likes this.
  5. Dalset

Dalset New Cupcake

You're lucky! this is literally the only thing that bothers me and I wish it didn't. :(

6. Dalset

Dalset New Cupcake

Here's an example.

Start at 5 minutes.

Edit: It happens a lot earlier on, nowhere near the snowy area.

7. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

Saw that part. You mean, when you land on an incline, and the character slips back a bit? I saw the player was able to jump again when sliding, so I do not think that will bother me if I can jump again.

8. Dalset

Dalset New Cupcake

I see that too, which makes me feel better! but I guess I really just won't know until release, which I'm looking forward to.

9. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

I thought that was because that guy looked kinda bad at jumping, personally. It looked like he kept landing on the slope part of the ledges - kinda like any time a player tries to run up a wall/ledge that doesn't support walking. That one part at 5:19 he lands on a smaller slope on the platform, but it's still an area you wouldn't be able to walk up, so he slides backwards. Any other time he jumps onto a totally flat surface (5:32) he doesn't seem to slide backwards.

10. Skean

Skean Cupcake

Half way between hell and the state of confusion.
    This ability is probably due to the ability to double jump in the game. Gives you a recovery option when trying to make it up mountains or recover from a fall

11. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

This ^ Just jump a bit better and you wont encounter any sliding down the mountain. So no it does not bother me at all.

12. Dalset

Dalset New Cupcake

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. really interesting to see that it doesn't bother most of you, which makes me feel a lot better, oddly enough.

For me, as long as there aren't tiny platforms where sliding might be an issue, I'll be perfectly happy. although, if they make it with the sliding in mind, forcing you to constantly jump from platform to platform as quickly as you can, or else slide to your doom, that'd be a cool thing to see. I'm interested to see how things play out!

13. Samsquanch

Samsquanch Cupcake

I didn't see any slip and slides.

14. Dalset

Dalset New Cupcake

I'm sorry, I exploited your love of slip 'n slides for your view! D:

Samsquanch likes this.
  15. Bainik

Bainik Cupcake-About-Town

Looks like it's just falling down a sharp incline, what would you expect to happen when you land on something to steep to walk up?

16. Dalset

Dalset New Cupcake

I was referring more to around 4:20 in the video, when she lands on the stairs which is hardly even steep, yet she slides quite a distance, lol! but there was another video I saw earlier in the year which showed someone jumping up a jump puzzle and if they had landed any closer to the edge, they would have slid right off. ( is jumping in mid-air possible? that'd be nice! )
    It's not a huge deal when I really think about it, but I just like to feel extra safe and really just stuck to the ground when dealing with anything platform related. it's not the end of the world! :p

17. Honour

Honour Cupcake

I'm fairly certain the slide effect only applies when you're landing on slopes.

18. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

Physics, brother. That is what it is.

19. WakeskaterX

WakeskaterX Cupcake-About-Town

Liked for an appropriate use of egregious.

Also I havent' seen this too much in these videos, but I have definitely played games where it didn't feel like you were running. GW2 feels like this a LITTLE but not too bad. It's worst when you slide off things because the hitbox is weird.