1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Specifics about the Settler path?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Blade, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Blade

Blade Cupcake

So, what specifics do we know about the Settler?

Do they actually gather/mine materials? Does this affect the landscape?

Are their buildings temporary or permanent (until someone blows it up)?

If you start a project and run out of materials, can you just leave it and come back later to finish it or does it fall apart?

If you start a project and someone else finishes it, how would path XP work?
  2. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

they gather.

the buildings are temporary.

i am not sure about the running out and coming back later.

you get path xp as you do the things im not sure if you get it when it completes but maybe staying within range would still give you a completion bonus. not sure on that.
  3. Blade

Blade Cupcake

I like the idea of the Scientist, cause I like getting extra lore and such.

But I also like gathering and building. So I was curious as to how the mechanics of a Settler work.

Especially as they get extra options for their home (which I hope are permanent).
  4. Tidezen

Tidezen Cupcake

http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/c/3400527

This is a twitch stream by Sarcan where he primarily talks about the esper, but he's also playing a settler path. He picks up gathering stuff along the way, but if you go to 13:30, there's a little two-minute thing where he shows how he builds a resource pad using the materials he'd picked up through gameplay at that point.

If you watch his Stalker and Medic playthroughs, he plays a scientist on both those characters, so you can see how the path thing plays out on that. It's basically an extra gathering profession, gives you buffs along the way, and will let you open some caves or secret rooms by scanning them. Hope that helps.

Edit: http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/c/3420465
    is the stream where he talks specifically about the path abilities of the scientist. Skip to 31:50 to see that.
  5. Blade

Blade Cupcake

Some great videos there. I've seen a few others of people messing with settlers and making temporary buildings out in the world.

I'm still hoping to find out more about what settlers can build for their personal housing.
    What do they get to build that others can't?
    Are these permanent buildings or do they only last a short time like world buildings?
    Can they build them for others? Meaning, if you're not a settler, can you have one make the unique buildings in your house for you? Or must you be one to get "everything"?
  6. Arkavien

Arkavien Cupcake

I too wish to know more details about Settler and Scientist specifically. Those are the two contenders for me personally and I am finding it quite difficult to decide between the two. I am a Lore nut and want to know every story detail, but I also love the idea of creating buff stations and quest hubs for me and my friends to take advantage of. Will most likely have an Engineer Scientist and a Medic Settler....or vice versa......which will be my main is as yet undecided until more details are revealed/I play them myself.
  7. Nomadic

Nomadic New Cupcake

Settler has the most utility of any path.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Either you have to define the word ''utility'' or you have to explain your thought process in order to come to such conclusion with the given information.
  9. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

theres a tradeskill that builds stuff for houses. settler does stuff out in the world.
  10. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

I was torn too, but after thinking about it, it wasn't hard to decide and the correct choice was obvious.

1. Soldier: More mobs to fight? We have plenty already. Nothing new here.
    2. Explorer: More jumping puzzles... meh.
    3. Scientist: Interesting. But in the end, it's just more reading right?
    4. Settler: Whoa! You actually get to build buildings and important useful items? Sign me up!
  11. Azh Saana

Azh Saana New Cupcake

I was surprised to see so few (and short) streams about settlers while there are lots of those covering specifically scientist or explorer.

As far as I've read they gather materials. Although I couldn't find from where: just mob drops or common resource nodes?
    Landscape is affected only in the way where you build something and that can be done at special "terminals" in predefined spots, so no free positioning :(.
    Buildings are temporary - they have a "condition" stat which decreases over time and any settler may renovate it by spending resources. They can also be upgraded, so there are several tiers for some/every(?) buildings. Disregard that, no idea where I read about upgrading.
    And there are larger scale projects that will REQUIRE more than 1 settler to complete. I have no confirmed facts after this point, so here are my conclusions: with multi-settler projects in mind I'd expect it to be something like building siege in GW2 - someone plops a blueprint and anybody else may interact with it and spend their resources to build it. And from that I think yes, you may start a project and leave it for somebody else to finish. I couldn't find any detail on experience sharing in that case, though. Based on % resources spent (amount an quality), I guess?

My facts are mostly based on this interview: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/wildstars-jeremy-gaffney-on-the-settler-path/
  12. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

When (which level) do you expect that you can really build ''buildings''?
  13. coreymj78

Fine, small structures. Symantics. You understood my point either way.
  14. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

No it's a genuine question, at what level do you think you are able to build buildings (small structures etc.).
  15. coreymj78

I don't know. If I knew I probably wouldn't be allowed to tell you. Haven't gotten that far yet with my research on it. Know what I mean? But I'm sure there must be some Twitch stream somewhere that talks about exactly what you can build in more detail.

Maybe "building" was the wrong word. But whether it's buildings, structures, pads, stations, turrets, or whatever, my ponit was that the Settler path seems a lot more useful than the others. This is all I was trying to convey. It's an opinion and I was only sharing it. :)
  16. King Radinov

King Radinov Cupcake

These things make me so hyped to try the Settler path. It's probably the only part of my character I'm 100% on. Really hoping to get a complete breakdown of what you can do in each path soon.