1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Spectator Mode (PvP)

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Philetic, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Philetic

Philetic Cupcake

EDIT: Recently ZAM posted an interview in which Jen Gordy - lead PvP Designer talked over Spectator mode etc ( link )

" The other thing that became apparent from the arena tournament was just how watchable the matches were. Do you think the game naturally lends itself to that, and is spectator mode something you’re trying to consider?

It definitely does; we just won’t have the resources to accomplish anything useful or the high quality I want to see for launch. So things like spectator modes, shoutcasting support, Twitch.tv support, those are all things that I definitely want to see, but will have to come post-launch. "

__

Hey!

So Guild Wars 2 just announced it's Custom game / spectator modes. (link). I remember before Guild Wars 2 was in beta and the PvP crowd where mentioning the importance of a spectator mode for e-sports. I'm sure it's already been discussed here so I do apologize if this is the case, however with this announcement I thought the post was relevant!

I personally do think spectator mode is not only essential for e-sports but also key to PvP in general. Being able to watch games back helps improve your ability as a player. With the continuous popularity of live-streaming, learning from the pros is becoming much easier. However learning from our own mistakes isn't. Starcraft 2 is a perfect example of being able to watch games back see where you went wrong and how your opponent took advantage.

Although this isn't my main point! MMO PvP has been fine up to now, players can play and improve without the need of replays. They are a luxury and a tool we can use to help make the process of us improving smoother and faster. This is the key, the PvP scene in Guild Wars 2 had a tone of potential. I remember getting so excited when watching DJ Wheat casting games at PAX 2011 (link). However we're around 7-8 months down the road after release and now we're seeing Custom games / spectator mode. It's a much anticipated update but is it too late? And what can games like Wildstar learn from the influence of e-sports and custom / spectator modes alike?

I know systems like this take time and it's very unlikely to see it at launch, but what importance does it hold over PvP in the modern competitive gaming scene? Should we be poking Carbine to work on it asap post launch? Or maybe it just doesn't hold much importance in the MMO PvP space? I'm interested to see what you guys think!

2. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

I don't know if WildStar is leaning toward the eSports route, it doesn't seem so. However...

I'd love to see Spectator modes for raids. I think it's long overdue. Oh, and while we're at it, how about raid replay, similar to what you get in Madden or NASCAR or something... see the fight from ANY angle!

I've put that on the wishlist for every MMO in the past 5 years, alas, I am still wishing!

3. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

it could be interesting, but not something I would expect at release, it practically screams big patch ~~ hype machine

Extatica likes this.
  4. wormed

wormed Cupcake

GW2 won't be an eSport, just like Wildstar won't be an eSport.

5. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

I really don't see the point of replaying group content for 99% of the MMO population. With SC2 where it is 1 on 1 it makes a little more sense. Seems to me it would be a much better use of time to queue up and play again until you reach a level of competition that far exceeds what most of us are ever going to see.

If it was easy to implement, I guess I could see it, but it sounds pretty complicated to me and as such I don't think would be the best use of dev time. If people want to re-watch matches, they should just record them, imo.

6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

They have confirmed it in the Reddit AMAA (from a while ago) That it is most lickely it won't be there with launch!

EcticTv likes this.
  7. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

Speaking from a non E-Sport Point of View I would like it just for the fun of watching others duking it out. I could totally spend an evening watching that. In Guild Wars 1 I remember just watching others fight for the fun of it.

That said, it'd be a nice side project for a dev to work on, but not a necessity.

8. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

It would be a blast to see this implemented... especially if tied with betting! Imagine throwing down some platinum on a no-name team with 5:1 odds and raking in the cash after an upset! Now imagine how much better that will feel when you get to see it happening live :)

I'm not a huge PvP'er, but I love watching other good people do it. Giving me a way to interact with the action without having to actually get stomped sounds awesome.

SiegaPlays likes this.
  9. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

Sounds great until teams bet on themselves to lose or rig matches.

10. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

Is it bad that I'm looking forward to that? To me, that sounds like emergent narrative which is one of the most exciting things about MMOs :)

We're talking about betting on bloodsport in the hull of a crashed space ship... if you couldn't find rampant cheating, then you're not looking hard enough!

11. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

If warplots is what I think it is I wuddnt mind seeing that from a spectators pov how they build there base, how they split there teams up, how they utilize there path specialitys and so on would be nice if it became popular enough for a match to be shoutcasted/streamed aswell but I think this has been discussed elsewhere on the forums

12. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I remember that City of Heroes had a kind of spectator mode that worked in arenas. Basically, you were a little drone that could fly and look at things and see all the chat channels, but you were invisible to the players in the arena and you couldn't use any chat.

I really don't think that adding a feature to record things in the game would be the best use of the developers resources. There are things out there like Fraps that can accomplish that. Kind of how like it doesn't make sense for developers to invest in developing ingame voice chat when there are dozens of different programs that people can already use. It's easier to just invest their time in developing the content.

This would be neat! People who are curious about how raids work can tag along and learn without making terrible mistakes their first time.

13. Agent Drew

Agent Drew Cupcake-About-Town

WOW's recent addition of the Brawler's Guild was actually pretty cool in that not only did you have some challenging single player content, but it also allowed you to spectate as well. Hell if you want you didn't even have to participate at all if you didn't want to. Just sit back, relax and watch people fight bosses.

If Carbine could implement that into Wildstar with their arena's than that would rock. I think it would help build the community as well if people could gather together and watch real players battle it out.

14. cecilandblues

cecilandblues Cupcake

It will be interesting to see how this develops. These features were expected to be in at launch for GW2 but were pushed back and now are entering a test run. If this shakes out to be a popular feature for the PVP community then they may become priorities for launch in Wildstar to avoid that incomplete feeling people had with GW2 PVP at launch.

To draw in a crowd of viewers spectator mode is needed. I am not interested in watching highly skilled PVP most of the time because the concentration and focus of the player results in a pretty dull broadcast. It takes a shout caster to call out the action and respond to the audience, and a shout caster is best served when they have a free camera to work with and are not part of the match.

I don't imagine I'd ever use spectator or replay tools personally, but it would be the sort of thing I'd have open in a tiny window while working or otherwise unable to play.

15. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

I don't really care about esports, but with the way combat is designed, I want this. Watching people for the fun of it might ber aelly enjoyable, even with raids.

16. lusciifi

Its not quite the same, but what if they just had twich.tv support built into the client. I would take a lot less effort on the part of the devs.

17. Nekofest

Nekofest Cupcake-About-Town

Do you mean integrated livestreaming so you don't have to use software like xsplit or OBS?

18. lusciifi

Yes, i was thinking of being able to press a button in game and having the client export the footage to your twitch account. Also having a browser in game so people can see who is streaming wild star content and watch it without needing to leave the client.

19. Nekofest

Nekofest Cupcake-About-Town

Integrated streaming isn't really as simple as a magical button to click.

Think of it as the devs needing to create their own proprietary version of xsplit/OBS built into their game.

20. lusciifi

Sorry, I'm not trying to imply that anything related to mmo development is trivial, but at the same time, using twitch I'm guessing would be simpler then creating a spectating mode for pvp. Ill be the first to admit that I could be wrong, i don't really have much technical knowledge when it comes to streaming.