1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Spectator Mode (PvP)

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Philetic, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Merketh

Merketh Cupcake

with Arena's atleast, I can see it working well.

2. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I'll say this, because I tweeted it and also I'm allowed to. During Arkship EU we had a blast with their Arena matches in an impromptu tournament of sorts.

Now I've never been a giant fan of MMO e-Sports. I love watching Starcraft II matches and I played a ton of the original Starcraft and a bunch of Starcraft II. I really get into the matches recently though because of well the announcer/shoutcasters convey what's going on to the viewer. They make it fun.

WoW however never really became that enjoyable for me to watch. "Oh look they are burning down the healer... can they interrupt him? Nope... ok... well lets see if his mana burns down so they can kill him! Wait for it... wait for it... oh he dodged behind a pillar! Goodness!"

It's like watching paint dry. I'm sure it's fun for the people PLAYING, but WoW combat is less about movement and action and more about cooldowns and rotation and abilities, and that's just not very fun to watch, for me.

But I was watching the matches (and even played in one, woohoo!) at Arkship EU and Stephen Frost, Carbine's Game Design Lead and the Devspeak guy, was shoutcasting them:

photo (6).JPG

And considering his sense of humor and experience now in commentary, I got to say it was really fun to watch. WildStar combat can be pretty fast paced and dynamic as a spectator, and it's more movement-based than previous MMOs. To some degree, it's even more movement based than say, GW2.

Anyway, after witnessing that I think the potential for a spectator mode in the future (probably post launch) is something fans can easily get behind and demand. The game already lends itself to that kind of enjoyment if you want it, and the fact you can make it an entertaining thing to watch while someone talks about it just on the fly (I don't believe Mr. Frost was told he was going to do this until that day) proves to me greater things can potentially come from all this.

What would be REALLY cool is if all spectators who joined a match would be controlling flying little camera bots. ^^

So will we eventually be seeing casted tournaments with commentators talking about Warplot matches? And Battleground fights? And Arena battles? I don't know... but I know if it happens I will sure as hell tune in (and may even try to play IN one, though I'm far from a professional in that respect ;) ).

EcticTv likes this.
  3. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, it would be MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to just have it that you can watch matches in progress. It wouldn't even be all that hard for them to do I'm guessing (as much of the requirements would already be in place).

4. Philetic

Philetic Cupcake

I didn't even think of the idea that we could spectate Warplots! That would be so awesome to see both teams plots and how they're going to attack / defend etc!

5. Chooby

Chooby Cupcake

I'm really hoping we get a lot of spectator features for PvP. I could also see how awesome a spectator mode would be for raiding guilds. Let's hope that Carbine will blow our minds yet again in the future and implement some of these things.

6. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Carbine's said that they WANT a spectator mode, but it will not be in for release.

7. Philetic

Philetic Cupcake

Yup looking forward to it! Hope it's not too long after release. Good to know that they're considering it though :).

8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Not only from the Reddit AMAA but now again in THIS ARTICLE

Kataryna likes this.
  9. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Confirmed that it won't be in for launch in the below thread. Also, lots of nice PvP info. Couldn't be arsed starting a new thread as it would invariably include silly polls and people not agreeing with me.

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=32258

10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Boom finnaly i beat you and stole your thunder! :p

11. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Wow this topic suddenly got very dark. I'm uncomfortable being only a "spectator."

See what I did there? Eh? Ehhhhh?

Extatica likes this.