1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Spellslinger Healing!

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Pattybigrig, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Pattybigrig

Pattybigrig New Cupcake

So I havent got into beta, and my guilds started figuring out which classes/roles everyones gonna be playing. Ive been kinda torn between Medic and Spellslinger healing.

I feel like the spellslinger will be the least common (when it comes to healing spec I mean) of the 3, and he does seem like he'd be fun.

But to those in the beta, I wanted to know if he's a viable healer for both pvp and pve?

And also kinda how he plays.

I have googled a lot but I havent really found any good, recent info so Im just kinda trying to get some info as I'll only be able to get to lvl 14 or something in beta once I pre-order.

Thanks guys!
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

You'll be able to get to level 17 with pre-order, which means you'll be able to do the first Adventure and the first Dungeon (you'll have to walk there). So you'll be able to try out healing for yourself!
  3. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

My buddy played a spellslinger healer last weekend (to compliment my stalker tank). He said he was so impressed with it that he's now considering making a spellslinger healer main on live instead of an engineer. From what I've seen over several beta weekends spellslinger healers do *currently* seem to be rarer than medic or esper healers. However, healers as a whole are a rare breed in Wildstar because healing is (imo) the toughest role to preform using telegraphs. But I really encourage you to heal in Wildstar because it is SUPER FUN. Ok, here's my take on spellslinger from my friend's computer's perspective:

Spell Surge:
    The spellslinger's innate is really cool and will take a lot of practice to use efficiently. It boosts the power of every single move the spellslinger uses while it is active (or sometimes it'll reduce the cast-time of healing spells, depending on the spell). It doesn't cost anything to turn on an off and you can toggle it fairly freely, but while it is active your abilities will deplete a special surge mana bar (I don't remember what this is called in game). While spell surge is turned off this bar will replenish. In my mind the healing efficiency goal is going to be to keep the bar replenishing so none of it is wasted, but still save most of the bar for those burst heal-check situations. This seems simple, but it gets a little more complicated to track while you're running around trying to nail fidgety telegraph-dodging group members with telegraphs.

I can only answer this for levels 1-16 so I'm not super helpful here, maybe someone in end-game beta can chine in on this. My buddy and I leveled 10-15 primarily in walatiki temple and he was having a ton of fun healing as a spellslinger. The only problem we encountered was that every once in a long while we'd get a rare match with too many healers (but in wildstar he can just switch DPS with the touch of an out-of-combat button and we're good). When we hit level 15 we went into the first adventure (whose name escapes me), it was our first time running it and we completed it with no player deaths. So I'd say that is a pretty good sign that spellslinger healers are viable at least 1-16.

Conclusion:
    Play a healer! Wilstar needs more healers and healing is both challenging and fun with telegraphs. I think that if you take the time to perfect the use of spell surge, spellslinger will be an efficient and viable healer in either PvP or PvE. Be prepared for a slightly steeper learning curve compared to some other classes, but in the end won't it be so nice say that you mastered a class that's a little tougher to play?
  4. Skreamed

Skreamed New Cupcake

I'm planning on playing a healer, was going to go medic, but after seeing how popular they are likely to be, I'm now thinking spellslinger. Though im still not sure as I think spellslinger will be a popular class in general, though mainly dps players. I dont want to go fotm class!!
  5. Pattybigrig

Pattybigrig New Cupcake

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Oh Im definetly rolling a healer. Ive pretty much been healing since I started in MMOs(not crazy long, first one was SWTOR, then FF and now this) And its what my guild needs so yeah :p. Honestly just in that little time Ive already kinda tired of normal mmo healing. Telegraphs make me super excited.

I took an indepth look at all the healer abilities, and though I kinda think Medic would be a better pve only healer, I want to do everything, including the amazing looking pvp. So Im 100% rolling a spellslinger healer now.

Thanks guys for the replies!!

If anyone has any tips, or anyone in end game beta has some more info I'd love to hear it!
  6. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

Put at least one damaging ability on your bar, even as a full healer. Too many times have I seen an almost wipe, leaving the healer the lone survivor, with the boss at extremely low health, only to have it turn into total wipe because the healer couldn't do anything to finish him off.
    It doesn't matter if it's (currently) craptastic Dual Fire (slated for a buff in the next patch) or Quick Draw, or whatever. Take at least ONE thing that can do some damage.
    Plus, that gives you something to do when no one needs green-bar-lovin, which makes it more fun.
  7. Skreamed

Skreamed New Cupcake

Ye I was thinking about this. How many heals and utility spells are you going to need? 5/6/7? Does this mean that hybrid specs will be more viable? Optimal even for your value to your group/raid/team?
  8. calebrus

It is my not so humble opinion that every healer should be spec'd as a hybrid to some degree or another, even if it's just minimally.
    I don't think hybrid healer specs will be more optimal, I think they're a requirement in some fashion.
  9. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

Once again, I've only seen content up to level 27. But from what I have seen, I think calebrus is absolutely right.

On my esper I never built a dps spec without at least one heal, and I never built a healing spec without at least one dps move. Hybridization is going to be all over this game. It makes me wonder if we're going to see as many popular class builds as we have in previous mmos. I truly hope there won't be a "right" way to build any one particular role and I think successful hybridization may help fight that trend to homogenize.
  10. Skreamed

Skreamed New Cupcake

Hey thats certainly not a deal-breaker to me! As a matter of fact the idea has got me quite excited!
  11. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I'm going to be a healer too! Though, uhm. An Esper healer. I won't be able to say "Healing bullets! Pew! Pew! Pew!" or anything, but we can still hang out. Right? Please? I don't want to be lonely on Nexus. The chua will get me.

I too think we'll only see 'pure' healers in raids. Even then everyone should take an interrupt ability. Even as DPS on an Esper, Bolster can be really useful for building a quick psi point.
  12. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

I'm hypothesizing that many healers will take 1 damage spam or finisher though (spam probably better since psi/spellpower/actuator can be used more efficiently on healing spells for a healer), for that extra dps if things go sour somewhere in between... Considering that Telekinetic Strike builds psi points pretty fast too, and doesn't use up your focus, wouldn't be a bad choice to put on the bar. :)
  13. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

An interrupt or buff/debuff utility ability is more important to a group than the sub 1% hope the healer kills it before dying skill. This is even more the case when you have a greater division of Assault and Support power. Deaths occur mainly for 2 reasons, your group fails at interrupts or you run out of focus because your group fails at interrupts. If you have enough time to dps that you would get equal or more out of a damage skill than an interrupt or a utility ability, then you shouldn't be wiping in the first place, so go ahead and take a damage spammer or one of the dual heal/damage abilities instead of a heal.
  14. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

From a viewpoint of conservative and efficient focus use.....

And I'm sorry to use the Esper as an example...

So let's say I'm running around with a group on an adventure an I'm playing an Esper healer. Let's also say it's relatively low level and I have 7 LAS abilities.

My spam heal is Mind Over Body for my psi point builder combined with bolster. Bolster can be fired off twice in quick succession to build two quick psi points.

Mending Banner will be my big psi point consumer to heal the tank. It doesn't cost Focus, only Psi Points.

Soothe and Reverie will be my other group heals.

I have two ability choices left. One of them will be Crush for it's interrupt.

Would it be efficient for me to take telekinetic strike as a builder? It will build psi points. I could use TK and Bolster to stack psi points for Mending Banner on the tank.

The reason I ask now is because of Soothe. At charge 2 and 3, Soothe will build a psi point. Would TK still be viable as a builder to compensate focus use, or should I use that last ability for something else?
  15. calebrus

With Espers and Medics requiring builders and finishers this line of thinkning holds true.
    With Slingers not using builders and finishers, things get changed up a bit.
    Many of the Slingers' heals are all very slight deviations of the same. Slightly different telegraphs or ranges, but similar in what they do and how they do it. You really only need two or three heals on a Slinger.
    So two or three heals (we'll call it three for argument's sake), one interrupt, possibly a cleanser (again we'll add it for argument's sake).
    That's five abilities, leaving three for utility and damage. And one or two of those five may not even be needed.

Plus, by not using builders and finishers, if you go full healer every single ability on your bar uses focus. You want to blame wipes on running out of focus, fine. But if you go full retard sling-healer, you're setting yourself up to run out of focus.
    As a Slinger, of you're going full retard healer, you're doing it wrong.
  16. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

What 3 heals do you use that can cover everything? I see Runic Healing, Healing Salve (especially for Augmented Armor Amp), and Healing Torrent as the minimum needed. So you are leaving Sustain, Astral Infusion, and/or Vitality Burst off your bars? If you can heal with only 3 heals, it means either the content is not difficult, or the heals within the class are not balanced properly (which has certainly been the case in Beta for many classes). Really you are looking at 5 heals on your bar and 3 utility.

I much rather have Gate, Voidslip and Affinity as my utility than a damage ability as my GCDs are far greater used in keeping the tank and damage dealers alive. Sure, if most heals had no CDs you could justify damage abilities, but your damage abilities will be weak since you will be gearing for support power and will not be tiering/amping damage abilities, and free GCDs should be few and far between in difficult content.

The part about focus was a joke about most wipes being due to fight mechanic failure (namely interrupts), which would make damage abilities even more useless, since you will have to be healing more when your party fails at mechanics. Yes, there are fights in which having and using a damage ability will be helpful, but that will be in the place of other utility instead of your healing.
  17. calebrus

CDs are usually not overly long in this game. As such, you need one on no CD or a very short CD. You need one AoE heal that hits hard, which can be on a long-ish CD (and even then the CD usually isn't that long). You can have one that heals for somewhere in the middle range on both healing and CD. If you're really concerned about it then you can have a second mid-to-heavy hitter for emergency purposes, but it isn't required by any means.

That's it. That's all you need. You don't use builders and finishers, so you don't need more than that.
    One bread and butter heal. One decent heal to shore up spike damage. One heavy hitter for massive AoE spikes. And maybe, just maybe, a fourth to your choosing as an "Oh $h1t" button.

If you need more than that then your ability selection isn't the issue. The issue is either your ability to prioritize targets or your team's ability to not be morons.
    If you need more than that then you're spamming your heals needlessly, which will lead to you running out of focus.

I've seen Slingers heal dungeons with just two heals on their bars (torrent and sustain), and it worked perfectly fine.
  18. calebrus

An example of a full hybrid that I expect will be effective:

LAS:
    Quick Draw -t4
    Assassinate -t4
    Dual Fire -t4
    Healing Torrent -t5
    Sustain -t4
    Gate -base
    Void Slip -base
    Purify -base
    (note that after cap you can purchase more ability point to raise tiers, it will just take time)

AMPs:
    Assault Power III (+7.5% max)
    Deadly Chain (4% empower for 15s, 3 stacks)
    Trigger Fingers (cd reduction)
    Assassinate (DPS)
    Critical Hit III (+6% crit)
    Critical Hit Severity I (+4% crit severity)
    Power Surge (+12% assault/support power while surged)
    Focus Recovery III (+0.3/s)
    Support Power III (+7.5% max)
    Focus Cost III (-6%)
    Clarity (10% chance every time you hit a button to reduce focus costs by 20% for 4s)
    Healing Aura (surged ability creates 30m AoE 5s HoT)
    Healing Torrent (derp)
    Cooldowns III (holdover from a previous build that I never changed, easily trade for something else)
    (note that after cap you can purchase more AMPs to add more, it will just take time)

DPS:
    Between healing, alternate Quick Draw once or twice and then Assassinate. With CD reduction and Trigger Fingers, three cycles should leave the CD on Assassinate at 4.8-5.3s or so. Three charges for Assassinate.
    QD>A1>QD>QD>A2>QD>A3>QD(A-recharged)>A1>QD>QD>A2>QD, etc
    This also lowers your CDs on Gate, Void Slip, etc.
    Deadly Chain's empower ramps the damage up for the first cycle and holds it steadily decent.

Healing:
    Dual Fire for hybrid healing DPS
    Torrent as your bread and butter, which hits like a truck when surged, and even moreso when it crits
    Sustain as a smart heal
    Purify for dealing with debuffs
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  19. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Thought I'd pop in and make a quick edit to show off a new forum feature - carry on :)
    calebrus likes this.
  20. calebrus

Nice.