1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Stalker Stealth

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Unseen, Apr 13, 2013.

?

Will Stalker have unlimited stealth later on?

1. Yes

60.0%
  2. No

40.0%
  1. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

The only way stealth should be permanent is if each class can have a way of locating while they are in stealth.

Warriors get a tracer that sticks to an enemy stalker and shows there position so they can't just run away
    Spellslingers have a spell that stops stalkers from going into stealth
    Espers have a mental aura that allows them to sense approaching stalkers
    these were just off the top of my head

If each class doesn't have a counter to permanent stealth stalker then in WPvP they will get honor so fast because all they will have to do is attack kill vanish repeat.
    Bezier and Sol like this.
  2. Brexton

Brexton New Cupcake

Might be nice if you can invis forever while standing still, but moving while stealthed reduces your stamina. Could create some interesting tactics based one positioning. A living landmine if you will.
  3. Woody

Woody New Cupcake

yes. please let me have permanent WoW/SWTOR stealth. I really hate when my stealth designed class has its most vital ability limited.
  4. herbalz

herbalz Cupcake-About-Town

in guild wars 2 the thief seemed kinda crappy because he couldn't permanently stealth, it seemed like a weak warrior...I mean I guess they have utility skill and cc but eh id rather have low defense and permanent stealth as others have mentioned..rather than stealth occasionally..but i probabaly won't make a stalker right off the bat anyway so eh
  5. Xandita

Xandita Cupcake

Well, limited stealth means you will have to choose how you use it wisely. Neat concept. Personally I enjoy permanent stealth because rogue-like classes, in general, are so weak. I want to at least sneak around the battle, cause some mischief, and invoke the rage of some 12-year old girl.
  6. herbalz

herbalz Cupcake-About-Town

rogues are weak out of stealth but i must say, i do remember times when wows balancing was horribly off so i was one shotting everyone and running away unscathed...so yea this is a tough one,i can see both sides of the argument..i personally would like perma stealth but maybe they can make it to where you have a little more resistance out of stealth, but you can only half shot people lol so then you have to finish them one on one out of stealth, but you get the first attack advantage still? but then i guess with good gear it won't matter...rogues will still one shot people haha
  7. Anoteros

Anoteros Cupcake

exactly :D
    If stealth is infinite and reminiscent of WoW rogue style then I think it's the class for me :)
  8. Kopesher

Kopesher New Cupcake

Perma stealth in itself is not OP. It is just a question of overall design for the stealth class.

PS : for the record, the stalker also has a spell similar to vanish, not only a shadowdance's.
  9. Luc

Luc Cupcake-About-Town

I would love to see permanent stealth!
    And this answer below its just epic for me, a great idea, though i think it can be improved.

"Also, we have given the Stalker the ability to activate stealth while in combat to give them “Partial Stealth” and access to their “from stealth” ability perks. "
  10. Sol

Sol Cupcake-About-Town

I love it when there is no permanent stealth as it forces players to actually have to think rather than derp someone at 1/2 health and vanish. It was great in GW2 when Thief's actually had to learn their class; those that did were formidable indeed. I found the class much more enjoyable because I had to time my stealth at the right moment, rather than always having it ready as a crutch.
  11. Goodwin

Goodwin New Cupcake

I wonder how many of the people who say they're against perma-stealth are actually planning on playing a Stalker (as a main), and vice versa.

Personally I'm fine with either, if it's done right... but I'd prefer having perma-stealth because, well, that's the class' strongest point. Rogues/Thieves/Stalker, however you want to call them, need to have a proper opening (in most cases) to actually have a chance.
  12. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Looking at the recently released milestones I hope they do their balancing correctly :p

Taking damage not breaking people out of stealth and a self heal whenever you go out of combat sets those alarm bells ringing for me. If they have some form of blind/sap ability to disengage/disrupt then you have a griefing spec even worse than that of the rogues in Rift (stun + vanish works as god mode with those milestones but offers less potential for griefing rather than actually fighting).
    That's how I'd do it anyway if that floated my boat.

(At least they addressed staying stealthed to delay arena/BGs via beer can to the head)
  13. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

My main is undecided at the moment, waiting on the next 2 classes, but Stalker is in the top 3. The problem with perma-stealth, and they've already stated that it slows you 50%(so why stay in it permanently anyway?!), is that it allows way to easy of set up. The majority that I have seen in this thread looking for perma-stealth are looking at it strictly through a "Rogue" POV. They are completely ignoring that the Stalker is also a tank. That means that they have access to some, not all, of the tanking abilties, unless they are entirely closed off(Which we don't know since no one in beta can talk and the patch notes and milestone lists don't help us there).

If you played SWTOR, you would know that the most powerful class there is in that game is the Sith Assassin and its Repub counterpart. They also have a stealth/tank tree, they were practically unstoppable, permanent stealth, saps, stuns, and wait for it....TANKING! All in one spec in PVP. A skilled assassin could go 3/4 vs 1 and a derp assassin could easily 2v1, because they could just switch to their tank abilities.

Now I will concede that the LAS could help curb this but it would still allow for a half/half build theoretically. If the dps stalker has no access to their tanking abilities or stances/fields and were true stealthers i.e. they were squishy out of stealth, since they have the element of suprise and that clutch opener(I agree stealthies need that good opener...The Op opener in ToR /juicy), then would perma stealth be warranted.

But honestly, as I've said before, if you are slowed to 50% MS why would yuou want perma stealth? You would be derping if you ran an entire match at 50% ms. Having a limited stealth, I've also said not as limited at GW2, it would require Stalkers to play smarter and strategize, work with their team to set up nasty gank lanes. Besides with arena 2 perma stealth stalkers going up against each is super ridiculously boring.
  14. Lekore

Lekore New Cupcake

In the patch notes they released it states that people were afk cloaking the entire duration of battlegrounds or arenas so it would appear that stealth is permanent

Edit: and they also reduced stealth movement speed from 90% -70%
  15. Terrid

Terrid New Cupcake

I do personally hope they have unlimited stealth
    one of my favourite things about a Rogue in WOW was the ability to be "quirky" and plan your battles ahead of time. That is the reason I switched from Thief to Warrior in GW2: if you're going to have to fight every mob you come across (not that i don't like fighting, but too much of a good thing :p) you might as well have a class that can take the hits.
    If stealth is not permanent then i'll.......i'll.....not condemn the entire game, but i'll have to work on my dodging :p
  16. Grimnar40k

Grimnar40k Cupcake-About-Town

OMG DAVE GROHL PLAYING W*

As for stealth. My favorite implementation of it so far was WAR where the duration was something like 30 seconds I think max which I still think is too much. Honestly I feel like this is a bit much to give any class in any game 100% guaranteed initiation especially when some sort of CC chain means the fight actually starts with their opponent at 30-70% HP. Now you have to balance dps across all classes for raiding or the PvE community goes nuts so now you're left with this one class in the game with this massive advantage in every single encounter they get into in PvP.

Maybe it's time for stealth classes to have to manage a resource and there be a risk/reward tied to using the mechanic and not just have this no skill automatic initiative mechanic that gives so much advantage. In W* maybe it's attached to their combat suit where they have a set amount of energy reserve they can use and it has a sort of recharge over time whether this be always or out of combat only. There has to be a way to balance stealth for PvP so it's more in line with other classes Innate skills and special resource management.

Sorry if this sounds like a bunch of QQ but I have been playing MMOs for about 10 years now and never in any game have I played a stealth class just out of principle because I feel like they're a big pussy class in my honest opinion. I know we all game and enjoy things differently, that's just how I've always felt about the mechanic and don't see my opinion changing unless Carbine can really work skill into the use of stealth in W*.

Also, I keep seeing people talk about stealth classes should have less defense.... Remember the Stalker is going to be a melee dps / tank. Also, we will all have 8 class skills as of the current build. The only difference is that Innate which Stealth will need to be balanced around the other classes Innates.
  17. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

as an avid stealth class player, i believe perma stealth is too easy, IMO 30 secs should be the time, with a timer you now have to think about the quickest path to reach your destination.

And i feel that if the stalker can perma stealth hes gonna have reduced speed and that sucks
  18. LoweGearShift

LoweGearShift Cupcake

I'm hoping that the buff length for Stalker Stealth allows a Stalker tank to get into a good tactical position against mobs, making for fun similar to what I had back in the day as a Feral Druid Tank and stealth-bearing.
  19. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

I voted for permanently stealth, couse i like to just sneak around outside the other factions "headquarter" from time to time. :ninja:
  20. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

I'm pretty sure they confirmed permanent stealth a while back, changing from the limited stealth. With mechanics in arenas that unstealth them if the stalkers are doing nothing in a corner.