1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Stalker Tanking!

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Feraki, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Feraki

Feraki New Cupcake

Hi Wildstar-Central!

I'm pretty new to this. Both Wildstar-central and Wildstar in general. I just stumbled across this wonderful looking game about a week ago and what a find it has been! I've been playing MMOs for a while now and the MMO scene has gotten pretty bland in my opinion. However, with my recent discovery of Wildstar I am newly excited to get back in the swing of things!

Onto the actual topic though. I am ridiculously excited for the idea of Stalker tanks. I have always loved tanking in all the other MMOs I've played(yes all the usual ones that I've seen mentioned in 100 other topics that I read around here) but Wildstar seems to be taking a very innovative approach to the tanking game which makes me really look forward to getting a hold of the game. Specifically the Stalker because it seems, to me at least, to be the most out of the box form of tanking. I have always enjoyed high-skill play and that looks to be what the Stalker will be. Between the general high mobility combat of Wildstar and the avoidance based play that everyone assumes (unfortunately all us Stalker lovers are still waiting on the edge of our seats for the live stream) the Stalker will be focused around it seems to me like I have a very clear project to focus on when the game goes live. Mastering Stalker Tanking- if it wasn't clear from the start.

Abilities and Passives such as
    False Retreat
    • First Press: Leap backwards 20 meters leaving a beacon behind to mark your original position. This beacon lasts 5 seconds.
    • Second Press: Leap back to your beacon dealing 175% Support Power damage to the 5 closest enemies within 8 meters and knocking them down for 3 seconds.

Tech: Rank - 2 [Don't Call it a Comeback]
    • When you get below 35% health, you summon a clone that, while active, deals 15% Technology damage every 1.25s and taunts nearby enemies. The clone lasts up to 10 seconds or until killed. This can only occur every 3 minutes.

Collapse
    • Deal Physical Damage and Pull the 5 furthest foes.
    Maelstrom
    • New Ability – Spin wildly throwing disks at the 5 closest enemies within 10 meters, dealing 50% Support Power in damage and taunting for 9 seconds.

These are just a few abilities and passives that make the prospect of tanking as a Stalker seem really fun to me. The only thing that may concern me is what healing a Stalker tank would be like, but I assume that with good coordination it will work. I'm not the most familiar with the healing classes of Wildstar, especially the Spellslinger, but from what I do know I feel that there could be a lot of synergy between Stalker and Esper because of Espers single target focus(though the live stream wasn't the best show of Esper healing skills I see potential, fully open to anyone else's input and knowledge though) would work well with Stalker's high mobility.

So I'll close it out now and hand further discussion over to those who know more than me since that is kind of the point of this whole thread! I hope other people are nearly as excited about Stalker tanks as I am!
    (Oh! Special thanks to Extatica and ZybakTV for the ability and passive information. The former from another tanking thread on here and the latter from YouTube)
  2. Ares

Ares New Cupcake

From what I've seen I'll be very surprised if we see many top-end Stalker tanks. A tank based around avoidance (not action, but passive) and life steal with lower mitigation does not really mesh well with some of the core philosophies behind tanking (predictability and EHP), and it does not have a great record in practice either. Even the idea of active avoidance (which sounds fun to play) also just adds layers of unpredictability, making it a much riskier choice than other tanks.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're really popular for easier small group content though. As they are the only tank class that is front-loaded, which should make them excellent at zerging down groups quickly.
  3. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Looking forward to trying a stalker tank...

If it is fast paced and highly mobile like Tera warrior tanking I might enjoy it. If it gets to rogue-ish and requires a lot of setup for pulls (never my favorite play-style) I will probably pass.
  4. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

The Moon, or Outerspace but sometimes Earth

Not exactly true, Go Look at some of the Top Guilds in WoW and quite a few of them use a Brewmaster Tank, who does tank through avoidance. Also, just sayin, it's one of the funnest specs in WoW it's really different and not just uber Facerool mongo stuff. If WS has the stalker even remotely close to how the Brewmaster is in terms of the mitigation then it should be really fun, especially if people are tired of doing the standard Warrior tank style.
  5. Ares

Ares New Cupcake

I haven't really payed attention to WoW for a long time, but iirc Monk sustains a good EHP with temporary shields and stagger, right ? There's nothing wrong with a high avoidance tank per se, the problem is when it comes at the cost of EHP (and if you have a tank that has both high EHP and high avoidance it's usually OP). From what I've seen of abilities and amps stalker reminds me a lot of DK when it was first introduced to WoW, which was a pain in the ass to heal until they buffed their EHP and made them amazing since they kept all the avoidance etc.
  6. Smexist

Smexist New Cupcake

Same here... but im worried about it.

With all the Telegraphs going out in raids how will you know which one is the boss... since its dodge/kite somethimes
  7. Deavon

Deavon Cupcake

I assume that the devs had a hard time brainstorming over this concept but in the end i don't think they would implement it if they didn't have a solution for it.
    Smexist likes this.
  8. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

From the warrior AMA:
    So stankers should be viable for at least all the launch content, not saying it'll be easy though.

I suppose what we'll get will be a mix of the typical tab-target avoidance and the TERA evasion tanking. I'd rather have it full active mitigation and mobility to be honest, but I can cope with it for the sake of not getting dumbed down and nerfed to make it "equal" later.
  9. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

The Moon, or Outerspace but sometimes Earth

Brewmaster uses Avoidance, Stagger is a skill that decrease the damage taken up front by a % and then puts the rest in the form of a dot but can be purified off.
    Most of the BrM survival comes from Shuffle, it's a skill that when active increases Dodge and Parry by a certain % shuffle is the active mitigation of the BrM and keeping that skill up is a big part of survival.
    BrM don't use shields really, they have 1 crappy shield called Guard which is basically good for absorbing 1 hit from a boss, and can talent into Diffuse Magic which is like a Dks AMS

Brewmasters also have the lowest Armor and Lowest Hp if you compare equally geared BrM to any tank, and that is by design.
  10. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

Because the Boss's telegraph will be big and red, adds will be small and orange, and friendly telegraphs will be blue. I mean come on, I'm sure they didn't make all of them look the same, that would be absurd and impossible to play.
  11. Feraki

Feraki New Cupcake

I agree with some of what's been said. They will definitely have a high skill cap based on what has been revealed so far. I'm still anxiously waiting for the live stream to check out what more I can see since I don't have my own beta key.

I played Brewmaster a bit when I played WoW as well as DK.. if we're making comparisons I would say the Stalker looks like a bit of both but leaning more towards BM with a bit of DK-esque life steal. But really it's a unique class of its own that I'm greatly looking forward to.

I had a lot of fun trying to craft a good LAS on ws-base.com, it's a great way to see all the abilities and amps in their beta form.
    http://ws-base.com/builds/generator...0.821.822.829.807.938.837.838.839.865.917.823

This is what I've been thinking about...a few of the AMP points I was a bit iffy on.. like increase shield capacity or Tech...I'm also not sure whether or not the reduced CC duration is worth picking up. But yea, that's what seems like a good build to be at this point. I'm open to any criticism or anyone else's build because I know this isn't the only one out there.
  12. Koriel

Koriel New Cupcake

With regards to tank popularity at end game, I hope that Carbine is trying to incorporate different "roles" for different tanks based on boss mechanics. (i.e. Tank-A would be more mitigation based, and is better for direct damage mitigation of sustained damage. Tank-B would be have better base Tech resistance or better at group tanking and Tank-C would have more avoidance and perhaps more mobility/kiting). As opposed to the standard MT and OT concept, some guilds would have prioritized gearing for progression and the MT is the "star of the show". Though in a way, this can still happen multiple tank types, but there won't really really be an MT.

Bear in mind that, news as at today, we are having 40-man raids.... Though I do not really support full active or full passive avoidance, plain EHP, stacking mitigation or merely having a defense cap - I believe that the best would be a blend mixture choice - bring about a mix of interesting game plays that each tank will be good at. By having different strengths and different roles for different types of tanks, we would see a real need for "a variety of tanks" in 40-man raids - each with a "chance to shine".

And when another "MT" is in center stage, use that limited action set and learn2dps - adding even more variety to the tanks' role in raid.

On top of all these, Carbine's basic philosophy of "skill players will be rewarded" should still prevail. On top of being able to play your class well - there are still many many factors that would make a tank outstanding, good, average, or just a punching bag.