1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Steal Kills?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by KarmaJ, Sep 3, 2013.

1. KarmaJ

KarmaJ New Cupcake

If this has been talked about before I apologize.

This has been a problem in many MMOs. You are attacking a mob or group of mobs then some scrub comes by and gets the death blow. Thus they get the XP, Loot and credit for it instead of you. This is very aggravating and makes a lot of people QQ.

I have seen a few MMOs try and fix this by either shared XP, First Hit or whoever does the most damage. How do you think it should be dealt with and how you feel it will be dealt with in Wildstar?

2. CriSPeH

CriSPeH Cupcake-About-Town

don't know the link...
    But mob XP is shared and I think it has to do with how much dmg you do.

Scroll Down!

3. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

The wildstar devs are planning on making quest progression and xp split based on % of damage done to a target. You can read more about it here:

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_wednesday_state_of_the_beta.php

Kataryna and CriSPeH like this.
  4. KarmaJ

KarmaJ New Cupcake

Thanks. That link really cleared things up :)

Kataryna likes this.
  5. Mykor

Mykor Cupcake-About-Town

The article speaks about how support toons (I assume tanks, healers) will still be receiving their fair share of XP while in group.
    What about solo play?
    What happens when a tank drops a mob by 30% only to have a dps come in, mid-fight, and blow the other 70%?

6. Prof. Walrus

Prof. Walrus Cupcake

They stated there's no mob locking. So I guess it's still a matter of % of dmg you have done to that mob how much xp you'll be gaining. Love the idea, although it would mean that you possibly won't get your 100% like when you'd have locked the mob.

7. Zellfel

I would say that's pretty clear.

Do 30% of the damage, get 30% of the XP.

8. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I kinda like the idea of getting rewarded for what one does, though I can imagine it is balancing act not perfected yet to make it fair for heals/support too and to only make effective participation count (overhealing galore should not be a route to better rewards, while healing the right amount should).

9. Baeldan

Baeldan Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah it seems to be the standard these days to have shared credit. That and action combat I don't consider innovative anymore. Enough people have done it.

10. Zenatsu

Zenatsu Cupcake-About-Town

So if I do 15% to a mob, and I have a guy following me around blowing the rest of the HP. I get shafted? eew...

11. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

If you mean someone much higher level coming by and doing that, I'm sure they'll have something to discourage that. Or at least not penalize your for someone else being a tool. Or at least I hope they do.

Otherwise, yeah, you just found a reason to hate this system.

12. Saybel

Saybel Cupcake

How do item drops work then. I get xp is percentage what about if I do 50% of dmg and someone else does 50% do we split the loot too? Implying we are not in a group of course or is it a tag system with loot the first person to attack it gets the loot?

13. Zenatsu

Zenatsu Cupcake-About-Town

from watching live combat play, you get loot when the mob dies. All players who "tagged it" do. there -might- be a system where you only get loot if you do X% (x=/= 0) minimum damage.

but yea, you get loot if you fight the mob. Maybe you get a higher chance of better loot drops the more damage you do. (Speculating)

14. Zellfel

That hasn't been explained, I would imagine it would be similar to random group loot rules or round robin. % of loot vs % of damage done might be hard to truly slice in any manner that's fair.

15. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Carbine has stated if you want to level as a pure support class I.E. healer / tank it will be more difficult. Some people will try to say that there are no support classes. To that I say Carbine seems to think there are or why would they have said the aforementioned. I have come to the conclusion it probably won't be unbearable with the ability to switch my LAS.

To my understanding this is how LAS works... With LAS you will be able to switch abilities on the fly (out of combat). So if you are questing as a tank / healer you will still be able to have a DPS orientated LAS. This will help to alleviate the disparity in your DPS output. As far as I know though it will not remove the DPS disadvantage from being in tank or healer specific gear.

Some folks say that if you do 30% (outside of a group) of the DPS you get 30% of the XP so why worry? It is true you will. Like you though, I have similar concerns (albeit reduced) due to LAS. Main points of contention that remain for me are overcrowded zones and the occasional griefer.

16. Mykor

Mykor Cupcake-About-Town

It's never been the easiest path to level up as a tank or heals. And this just seems to add to that difficulty.
    Although, the LAS option will certainly alleviate some of the hurt.

Hopefully, grievers will be few and far between.

17. Chrilin

Not a tag system for sure... Like others have said loot drops for all people involved. Like others have also said, the details on how or if there is any internal roll system has not been explained.

18. Chrilin

LoL... Tell me about it:). It's a personal choice for me so I can't complain.

19. CriSPeH

CriSPeH Cupcake-About-Town

While the examples I have see so far don't exactly support this theory I am hoping the Support leveling problem will be somewhat solved with the Path system.

When I first heard of the Path system I thought it would change the personal quest objective for you player during leveling. So far it seems like it more just adds certain quests with the flavor that your enjoy. I am hoping this will change so that Support characters will have more options when questing and leveling that don't rely so much on just killing mobs. So if you play a full support character with a Path other than Soldier you will have options to get bonus XP for factors that aren't just killing things.

I am also guessing that since you can so easily change out skills even if you are fully support geared you can still switch out for some more damaging attacks if you find yourself fighting for mobs.

20. Borz

Borz Cupcake-About-Town

Depends on you define 'shafted', if 'execute' skills exist, and on how loot works.

Without executes, damage done to mob is linear function of time spent on it. So if someone else takes 80% of health of mob, then you get 1/5 of exp but also it takes 1/5 of time. Not couting finding next mob, but if loot goes by 'usual' first tag rule, overall you get more per time spent.

From linked article:
    It seems logical that they wouldn't include bolded part if mob tagging was to be removed entirely.
    As other than exp and quest progress, mob tagging is usefull only with loot, it seems like reasonable assumption that loot will use 'regular' tag system.