Steam

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Mathue24, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Mathue24

Mathue24 New Cupcake

I was just wondering, is there planing to be a steam relase? I personaly would love that.
  2. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

why would it be released through steam?
  3. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

As of this, there is no official information about this, but I highly doubt it.
  4. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

If released on steam will be so on a later date unless submitted on time to jump through all the hoops valve requires and giving them enough time for it to be added.

As for why? some of us like to have one game database to access all games from. Most of my games are all on steam or accessed from steam, makes it also easy for people to contact me doesn't require them to login to a game, allows you to keep track of whos playing what.
    Outlaw, Miatog and Gronky like this.
  5. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

Mostly this, it's nice to keep in touch with other friends while playing Wildstar even if they're not playing it. Plus I know some people would like the extra steam achievements. The integration of Wildstar into Steam does take additional hard coding though, so as others have said it would happen further down the line if at all.
  6. Lids

Lids Cupcake

Carbine are more aware of what gamers want that any developers we have ever had before, and if they feel unaware they ask - a level of Steam integration is something that I can imagine most gamers would either want or not mind if it was there.

I would think that you will be able to download WildStar through Steam at some point just after launch and manage the files through Steam, this may even help the game servers a lot if they can take advantage of the Steam servers for downloads. I do not think they will integrate the Steam client into the game though, as it will have its own platform to communicate and manage the people playing and they would want to design this their own way. I can imagine the normal shift + tab options will be there if they do decide to go with allowing people to install WildStar through steam which is not a bad thing, as they can set it too off as default and then only people who want it can turn it on.
  7. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

you can manually add games to steam.Also,you will never see Wildstar on steam.
  8. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Last NCSoft game I saw on steam was Aion, can't remember why it got pulled in the end. You can still get GW1 off steam though so it's not a complete impossibility!
  9. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

there is no need for a steam release, i do like and use steam quite a lot, but i dont want all my games to be on that system.
  10. Sanja Melody

Sanja Melody Cupcake

Personally i wouldn't care. I don't use steam that often. But i don't see the problem if it's not on steam. You should be able to add it to your steam library in the bottom left.
  11. Mathue24

Mathue24 New Cupcake

I was just about to point that out, sir.
  12. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Actually being on Steam would be a nice marketing boost and be convenient. Users could take part in the community game hub functions that have been fairly recently added to Steam.

I don't know if a triple-A MMO would want to work through Steam though, as I think they have to submit all updates and whatnot through Steam first, adding a bit of a delay to updates for Steam users and simply losing a bit of control. On top of that, it might be a rather huge cost to add Steam for a multi-million concurrent users game. If you don't need the marketing boost by being on Steam, then it might not be even worth it to pay to be on Steam.

As others have said, you will always be able to just Add a Non-Steam Game... I'm currently playing Photoshop CS4 and InDesign CS4 on Steam!
  13. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

I agree in that a steam release would be nice - I don't really see how it could "hurt" anything...

On a related note though, doesn't NCSoft have their own game launcher/downloader? Whenever I play Aion I use the NCSoft Launcher that has my NCSoft games stored - it's not like nice or anything, but it exists and I would assume that's how they would distribute digital copies of the game
  14. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

It "hurts" because its bloody expensive. No reason to tie yourself to a leech if you do not have to.
  15. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Steam releases tend not to hurt the consumer in price, but they do take and additional cut from the dev/publisher of course.
  16. Fishsticks

This reminds me of storefronts that don't take credit cards - get with the times. Steam is one of, if not the largest, device utilized to download digital media/games. I'm sure someone at Carbine is crunching the numbers in percentage cut taken by steam vs. revenue gained from number of additional copies sold, but unless Steam is taking some absurd cut, I dunno if financing is the main deterrent so much as maybe the fear of mixing marketing and intertwining products with a system owned by another company (Valve)
  17. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

I personally wouldn't make use of it, but I think it's an excellent idea. There's a lot that Steam could add to the social experience.
  18. vicksen

vicksen Cupcake

I wouldn't really care for putting it on steam. I don't really play any other games through it, and I don't plan on it. It just seems like another thing to install.
  19. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

You complain about storefronts and then say its fine aslong as they do not take an absurd cut. Those storefronts often lose money on those transactions which is exactly why many don't do it. Firefall was looking at releasing on Steam and Steam flat wanted 10+% off the top. Which is absurd. Also, looking at Steam for advertising when your publisher is one of the biggest on the planet is pretty funny.
  20. Fishsticks

I would argue that almost no-one operates as a Cash Only establishment for precisely the reason that CC companies really dont take that much off the top when compared to the market share you gain from offering the service - in fact, that's why stores take credit cards...

Honestly I don't know a thing about Firefall except that it's still in Beta and most people probably haven't heard of it - according the the forums it averages less than 5k people on at any given time. I'm not trying to say Firefall is either good or bad, because I haven't the slightest clue. I am, however, saying that it might not serve as a good example of a game that really shined despite not using Steam to disseminate copies.

To your last point: Several huge publishers (including NCSoft) use different mechanisms to reach new/different markets when they could do the extra marketing themselves. Trion's Defiance, Funcom's The Secret World, Take-2/2k's Borderlands 2, and NCSOFT's Planetside 2 are all on Steam.