1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Stop being hostile towards WoW comparisons

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kay, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Kay

Kay Cupcake

I've noticed a lot of WildStar fans out there are extremely bitter or outright hostile to any comparisons made between WildStar and WoW as of late, and for the life of me I can't see why.

You compare any class from WildStar to a class from WoW, chances are you'll get at least one person who will tell you you're stupid and go on a brief tirade about how WoW is not the only MMO out there. So? It's still an MMO, and if people use it as a point of recognition, what do you care? Am I supposed to go all hipster-gamer and read off a game nobody's heard of or something?

Seriously, why should anybody else care if I want to compare the two? I still love WildStar; currently more than WoW even despite it not being out yet.

I don't know; I may just not be 'hardcore' enough to understand, but it's always seemed silly to me to get hostile over something so trivial.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Have you been following WS from the beginning?

When WS became a bit well known (2011) a lot of people pictured WS as the new WoW-fail-clone......how many times people just came in and said things like ''it's like WoW but it will fail'' or ''worst WoW clone ever''.

People kinda became sick of peeps keeping comparing it to WoW.....hence why the remarks.

People will ALWAYS compare things, and i've done it aswell, including the WoW comparisons.

When will I personally get mad at someone using a WoW comparison?
    When they say things like: ''I like playing as a lock in WoW....Wait...WS doesn't have someone with DoT's? Then I won't be playing it'' without even looking into the game or trying it out....

Main point:
    Comparisons with WoW aint bad....it's all about HOW you compare it to WoW.

Now here are some nice comparison pictures :D and there are some nice similarities.

[​IMG]
    Chua owns Illidan anytime!

[​IMG]
    Any1 else getting this one? Although I've already liked the looks of it, so i'm happy.

And in my opinion the best one!!!
    [​IMG]
    I use this one on a regular base when people say that WS is a WoW clone and it looks almost the same but then a bit worse then WoW....:rolleyes:
    Diagas and Deavon like this.
  3. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

I can so see it. :rolleyes:
  4. BStrait57

BStrait57 New Cupcake

Just gonna leave this here...

5. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

It's not as much comparisons in general, as trying to talk as it's the same thing. Don't you think asking "which class is like B WoW class in the C spec?" or saying "I hope this will play like X spec of an Y class" are kind of... silly?
    I mean, similarities will always be there and it's good, because people like certain archetypes or general game mechanics, but expecting things to be almost exactly the same, especially in an action game while comparing to a tab targeted one, are pointless.

Same for the art style - just because it's also cartoony doesn't mean it's the same. Somehow nobody says that all realistically stylized games are copies of each other...

I guess some people are just annoyed by others trying to put everything in their "little boxes"... which honestly is bad enough in the real life situations.
  6. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

I guess that's the crux of the argument. You don't think it's important for one reason or another, but many others do think the distinction is important. Coming from the latter side myself I look at it like this: sometimes making comparisons such as X class in WS = Y class in WoW leads to unreal expectations of a WS class and is detrimental to the overall conversation.

You could proceed along this line of class discussion and say that the Medic borrows from affliction warlock, enhancement shaman, feral druid, Rogue and even some mage ... or you could just admit that medics are in all actuality nothing like any of those classes and we're just keying in on certain abilities within each of those classes. Medics are medics, Engineers are engineers, any comparison of a WS class to a WoW class doesn't do either game justice and is counterproductive if your goal is a deep understanding of the class being discussed. It's generally a much better idea to get on the class webpage on the main website and some of the fan-run LAS/AMP builders and read.
  7. Deavon

Deavon Cupcake

/clap

well spoken.
  8. Kay

Kay Cupcake

I don't mean just people who are shouting 'WoW clone' - yes those guys are annoying and confused obviously. What I mean is like, in another thread, there's a friendly discussion over which class (Esper and Spellslinger) is more like the traditional 'Mage' class. Naturally, WoW becomes the focus of this conversation as the most familiar and basic form of class-setting conceptualization in an MMO (or at least the most well-known). Nobody's making accusations or anything, just a little friendly banter. Then you got these guys jumping in and moaning about how it's 'not WoW' and that the conversations are 'stupid' - if it's so stupid, why insert yourself into it?

If people want to compare the two for the sake of a connection, whose business is that? Should they be forbidden from doing this just because some mouth-breathers will freak out if they do? No, says I! I say if people are going to get so mad, then they need to learn to do what the rest of the world already knows; turn the other cheek.
  9. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

Well, sadly no matter the topic, someone will always be against, sometimes just for the sake of it. Some people get oversensitive after seeing all the "WoW clone" statements and others just.. well, are the same as these who shout "WoW clone" at every game.
  10. Diagas

Diagas Cupcake

Was it absolutely necessary to make a second thread on this matter? As I said in the first thread, my initial approach was satirical, not combative. Extatica did an excellent explanation as to why frustration will be common, but I don't think that it's meant to be as polarizing as you're interpreting it.
  11. Quietus

Quietus Cupcake

There was a time when everything was compared to Everquest and, believe it or not, there will at some point be a time when everything is compared to something other than WoW.

By the way, saying stuff like "another fail WoW-clone" is not really a comparison. It's just basic 1/10 for lack of effort trolling.
  12. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I pretty much agree with Extatica on this matter.
  13. Kay

Kay Cupcake

This ain't about you; I've seen this a lot (unless I'm very confused and you've been very busy lately). People complain about the comparisons too much. I don't even understand how people can be so bothered by them. Who's opinion are you going to change complaining, even if it is the 'WoW Clone' nay sayers?

It seems pointless to me for anyone to be so bothered by the comparisons, and it happens way too much.
  14. Bastille

Bastille Cupcake

I'm okay with W* and WoW comparisons. It's like if someone wanted a car, so they asked how Toyota compared to Honda. People wouldn't get mad and say "They are two completely different things! Quit trying to compare them!" Why would it be any different for MMOs?
    TuxedoMask likes this.
  15. Diagas

Diagas Cupcake

[​IMG]

no but on the reals, stop white knighting the subject. Whatever backlash people get is deserved solely on the consensus that it's a dried-out comparison. It'd probably be better to make a WoW support group or some <REDACTED> so all the pretty WoW memories and comparisons can be dumped there like a toxic waste dump.
  16. Spracket

Spracket Cupcake-About-Town

New comparisons are hard to come by since there's pretty much no decent MMOs on the market at the moment (not counting EVE).
  17. Kay

Kay Cupcake

You seem to mistake me for someone who plays WoW. You couldn't be more wrong. That game bored me beyond tears and the only time it was even tolerable was when I had friends to play with, but even that grew monotonous.

No, I'm here because I got tired of someone getting their Guild Wars 2 undies in a bunch because no one is comparing WildStar to it. There's a reason why the WoW comparisons are 'dried out' - regardless to if you want to accept it or not, people are more familiar with it than any other MMO out there, and no amount of complaining, exclamation points, or animated gifs of ladies with sass will change that; no, only the test of time itself can alter that cold hard fact.

I'm just sick of people being butthurt over World of Warcraft comparisons. It's stupid and a waste of otherwise perfectly healthy brain power to let something as silly and insubstantial as a comparison irritate you, and even more of a waste of your time as well as others' that people feel the incomprehensible urge that borders on obsessive to attack people for making said comparisons.

No need to be an angry hipster because barely anyone knows what Everquest is anymore.
    BStrait57 likes this.
  18. Alex F

Alex F Cupcake

Yeah right. People enjoy making noise about their frustrations related to how they left WoW. It's normal... how sad is that?

WoW this and that, fact is, anyone who says WoW is flat out <REDACTED> and contine with "i've played it for xxx time" is making a fool of himself.

Same with the people who say this game is a clone of that game. There are no clones. There are similarities that like it or not, have to exist so the game is actually playable.
  19. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

People compare because they want to relate to what they know, This has always happened in gaming.

People hate the comparing because they know its cool to hate the popular game just like when people would compare a new game to EQ, fans of the new game would hate on EQ because it was the big dog back then. Bring up Windows or Android around Mac fans and you get the same results. I see these flame wars break out on tech forums when someone askes is x in MacOS like x in Windows and usually the first replies are about how bad Windows is and that Apple makes even turds turn to gold.

the simple fact is people want to know where they will fit into Wildstar, So they will see the Stalker as the Rogue for example.
  20. Josh Mayer

Josh Mayer New Cupcake

Interesting