1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Suggestions/Advice on computer build

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Dirty Outlaw, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I am currently saving cash for a new computer been saving since June I don't plan on buying anything till after the holidays (still have to get gifts for people and such)

Currently on a budget of $1500 total can go over budget slightly but want to stay around this area.

Computer isn't only for high end gaming I want to also be able to do 3d modeling mostly blender, maybe zbrush if I ever get to learn it and graphic design work (yeah that part shouldn't take too much ha).

Been doing some research and have this build
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2hWn8

Two things I do need is a wireless internet adapter and a OS
    I don't know if I should go internal or not on the adapter and for what I want I doubt I need win 8.

I don't know if I should double vid card it.
    I don't know which brand is better nvidia or radeon but going off benchmark tests GTX-770 should be best bang for my buck which is around $350 to $400 area. Don't know how much memory I should need for my purposes. Should I go 2 smaller memory cards or one big one or trim the fat down.

Ultimately I want the computer to last a few years without overhauling it again. But not go over $1500 at least not too high over budget lol

Any opinions or suggestions would be helpful
  2. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

I suggest you post your intended build on the build a pc subreddit.

/r/buildapc

Good luck.
  3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

^

Basically, there is no real reason to spend the extra $100 on an I7 over an I5, the performance is just not there, even for modeling. It won't save you a significant amount of time, atleast not for that price. Also I would recommend you pirate the OS. Keep it on a $10 flash drive and never need another. Its perfectly safe and with dos commands has no drawback. Other than that what you have is a newer version of what I am currently rocking.

Oh yeah, if you currently don't, you will want a second monitor. For gaming and the like I don't like them but I would kill for a second one for modelling, especially if you are planning on learning from online tutorials.
  4. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

A single Card is almost always a better solution than SLI/Xfire

For modeling you want something with a lot of vRam, 4gigs. best price would be ati with their 290x but i'm not sure what vram options they have.

You will need alot of ram for modeling, 8-16gigs

LOL really?

Get a second, or third monitor. For programming its a godsent i would imagine that would be sme for 3d modelling.
  5. Livnthedream

With them trying to force W8 on us, certainly. Not to mention the various extremely poor business practices. For the most part I do not support piracy, for them I make an exception.
  6. Mellkor

Without derailing, Windows 8 is adequate for any task.
    If you like windows 7, you can get oem keys dirt cheap there really is no need for piracy.
  7. Livnthedream

You mean outside of the various gaming issues like mouse lag.

Its not just price, I would rather not give them my money. I wish they had some actual competition.
  8. Mellkor

Speaking from personal experience, of the 200 games i currently have installed with windows 8, i have issues with only 2.
    • Fable 3 - will not run
    • Metro 2033 - mouse issue
    Application wise, i have not had any major issues with:
    • Software developing with windows 8
    • using modeling and texture editing software (such as blender and maya)
    • General PC use.
    So i would suspect, that there is actually minimal 'bugs' with windows 8 and software. Granted there are problems like with antivirus systems.

You don't support them but you use their software anyway.....

Sorry to disappoint but there isn't going to be any competition because the world runs on Microsoft.
    Not saying that nastily, But nearly every system in your daily life is controlled by a Microsoft system.
  9. Livnthedream

I personally refuse to use it because its ugly, and I generally do not upgrade software unless I must/gain a huge advantage. I know I have read to the contrary of what you say, and my girlfriend hates her new laptop because of it.

There is no realistic alternative. And that will not always be the case. Even if it is, I will support them as little as possible in the process.
  10. Dirty Outlaw

I do thank you for your responses
    I did talk to a friend of mine about this as well and did two changes
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2i30R

Said sandisk are better than samsung and the Radeon is faster than the GTX 770 and to keep it at 4gb for my needs and everything is decent.

So the I7 isn't worth it he didn't tell me that, I guess some benchmark tests are in order. off to google.

I do plan on getting a two monitors but its not in my budget I just have my laptop hooked on my tv which for gaming or watching movies is fun but rather annoying doing anything else just try to do some php code is really annoying. ultimately I want 3 2 normal size for work and larger size for entertainment

I do plan on online tutorials start with the joan of arc again its a classic. I don't know about most people I think going to school to learn something that you can learn at home is a waste better to major in something in STEM fields that is more solid.

Yeah not a big fan of win8, I don't see the point of upgrading to 8 and pay more plus I really didn't like the changes to the UI they did too also I see very little need to get the new one either as most software is still compatible with 7 and the small improvements doesn't justify cost. Whenever they make a less than stellar OS upgrade M$ always does this annoying push to get people on the new OS.

The new Radeon card from the new link has 4 gigs so the card is solid.

Right now I'm sticking to 8gb of ram I haven't had someone tell me I needed more than that.
  11. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

Just make sure you get a really cool case. So even if your computer sucks your friends that don't know anything about computers will think it's really cool and tell you how badass it is.
    Dirty Outlaw and Mellkor like this.
  12. Dirty Outlaw

Well looked at a couple benchmarks and comparisons with the i7-4770k and the i5-4670k yeah 100 bucks more for a .28 increase of efficiency at best yeah not really worth it.
  13. Mellkor

lol.