1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

SW:TOR, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Wobbley, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Wobbley

Wobbley Cupcake

Don't act surprised, you knew this thread was coming sooner or later. I want to know what people think about the game though, as I have no plans of even considering of playing it until after New Years. Naturally I have heard a lot of talk about the game from all kinds of source, what I would want to know is why Wildstar community members like or dislike the game. What interests me the most is the social and end-game aspect of the game, it's what keeps me there the longest.

I might be asking too soon since the game just released, but nobody has to answer immediately, maybe in a week, or 5.
  2. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I'm pretty sure you know my stance on this already, but I'll add it for... for lulz, or something.

BioWare is doing far more things I expect from a single-player RPG than an MMO with TOR, and are in my mind effectively taking the MMO out of MMORPG. This is essentially KotOR 3 with a chatbox and optional co-op, and the fact that I couldn't really go exploring right off the bat (I like having the ability to go pretty much where I please at level 1 if I so choose), combined with (in my mind) far too many cutscenes and yapping (nope, I don't care for the fully VO'd aspect at all - I know you can skip it, but I don't want to have to)... no thank you.

Additionally, I think it looks pretty terrible, too.
  3. vikingmand

vikingmand New Cupcake

In my opinion I think noone would really care for it if it didnt involve star wars and that it doesnt have any new intereresting features.
  4. Sivri

Sivri New Cupcake

When I first beta tested TOR in late October, I was very impressed with the questing system. I really, really wanted to play more at that point. I was then reinvited for the stress-tests, but by then my excitement had already gone. I'll probably play the game just to experience the quests and some of the roleplay, but for the long run, I am doubtful.
    My community has a guild there, so I suppose there is a bit of a lemming effect to it as well, my friends are going and I wish to play with them.
  5. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

I was in three beta weekends and my partner two. I liked it okay, but didn't really need to play it after the first one was over. My partner loves it, though, so we got it to play together.
  6. Akhrin

Akhrin New Cupcake

Played the beta and really enjoyed it, but as fun as it was I don't think I can justify £45 for the game and £9 a month for it, especially not now that Guild Wars 2 has gone to closed beta so could be fairly imminent.
  7. Sivri

Sivri New Cupcake

Yeah TOR is extremely expensive, that's mainly what's keeping me from getting it right now. Rift was <REDACTED>-expensive at launch too and now you can get it for like €10 >.> Even down to 5 when its on sale.
  8. Akhrin

Akhrin New Cupcake

Yup, it's gonna take some kind of sale or price drop before I go for ToR. And more free time as well >_>
  9. Wobbley

Wobbley Cupcake

I caved in and bought it, still not sure if it was a good decision. I have been playing it and found it enjoyable. I reached lvl 15 so far, but with Christmas and all there is just not enough time. Hopefully I get to play a bit more so it does not turn out to be a waste :)
  10. alienfirst

alienfirst Deck the Granok Winner 2011

I've been enjoying SWTOR with my fiance. It's really my first major foray into an MMORPG though, so my opinion on it is somewhat naive.

I just like being a healer and randomly helping people out. XD
  11. Blue Skunk

Blue Skunk New Cupcake

Totally.

The game is fun and is a solid performer, but the name really does all of the work. I would have been disappointed if I had bought it instead of rolling a toon on my brothers account. The biggest problem I had is the UI and the map was almost painful to play with.

The other issue is that levelling pretty much forces you to group up. Groups can be great fun and extremely useful, but in no way should any game make it almost mandatory. Before the "but it's an MMO not a play by yourself" argument starts, not everyone plays the same way. The other factor is that now it's early days so there is a large player pool to group with, what happens in a year from now when you roll an alt and the zone is practically empty.
  12. Nonsensicles

This is completely and utterly untrue. Yes, there is group content you will encounter as you level up, but absolutely none of it is mandatory to progress. In fact, if you stick to all available single-player only content and nothing else you should be exactly the level you're supposed to be for all missions available. Doing group content on top will end up with you being overlevelled (and overgeared perhaps). Also, most group stuff can be soloed either by being clever, skilled or waiting a few levels.

The rest is pretty much right, or at least not provable one way or another. ;)
  13. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I guess I am in the minority here as only a few seem to like it or tolerate it. I really like the game, glad I bought it, and don't think it is a waste of money. I didn't mind that I had to wait until 15-18 to get a ship and get off the starter planet, there was much to do and look at anyway. I still have not found all the datacroms even on the starter planet, and no I refuse to use cheat sites to find out, I want to find them on my own.

So, in short, IMO it is worth getting. You can do most things a single player, however, contrary to what Nonsensicles has mentioned, there are some things you cannot do alone unless you are overleveled for the area. Specifically, datacroms are put in places that would be very hard if not impossible to get to if you were the same level as the NPCs/MOBs in the area unless you had stealth to help. So, though possible if you wait, not that easy at the correct area level.
  14. Nonsensicles

That's not what I said. There's nothing you need to do to progress, ie, level up to follow the class story, that requires a group. You can get plenty of experience with just stuff designed to be done solo, not to mention the things you can solo with a bit of cleverness. Also, the vast majority of Datacrons are accessible solo, at level. They're just well hidden. ;)
  15. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Ah, yes, my mistake. I misread it the first time. I am sure a lot of the datacrons are accessible at level, it is just the ones I found were in tough places surrounded by tough mobs. :) I am sure I will eventually find them.