1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Tank class themes

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Cananh, Feb 22, 2014.

?

How do you feel about the tank class themes?

1. I'm happy with them.

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. I would have liked more variety like the healers have.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I'm not playing a tank and don't care about their toys.

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

I normally play healers and something I realised when considering my options in WS is that there's a nice split. Espers are pure "magic". Spellslingers mix magic and tech. Medics are pure tech. So their individual mechanics aside there is a very nice spread of themes there. I'm very satisfied with those options.

Then I looked at the tank classes to see if that pattern applies to them. It doesn't. They're all tech. The only non explicitly tech seems to be Warrior's Brute Force and Stalker's Claws. Maybe there are be both tech and magic looking weapons for them.

I'm unlikely to ever play one seriously so it doesn't bother me. But I wonder how the tanky types feel about this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Which site did you used to get that data? Since from other site's like WSBase it's way different then what you are saying!

From WS-Base:
    Just a quick look into it and you can see so many more abilities of the Stalker that does physical damage.
    The Stalker is kinda 50% Tech damage/50% physical damage

And the Engineer is nicely mixed aswell, the only tank class that really, really, really relies on Tech damage currently is the warrior.
  3. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

The official website.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/classes/

I can see where you've become confused. You're looking at damage types. I'm talking about theme which correlates to damage types for the healer classes but not tank ones.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Even so I still think you make strange assumptions.

You say the only thing that seems physical for the stalker is the ''claws'' part of that page, right?
    What about the devices? If it's a mere mine (gunpowder) it still counts as physical damage.

Meaning a stalker is still around 50/50

As for the Engineer, the bots, may seem as Tech damage. But if the robot just hits you with his robotic arms it's still physical damage.

The warrior power sword? Do you know why it glows so much? It's because of the crystals, but it still is a mere ''slash'', there is nothing ''Tech'' about that. It's the complete opposite, it's still the ancient art of sword crafting....but with some special crystal that emits some kind of strange light.
    (I can go on for a while with this, but I think the point has come across)

So even on that page your assumptions are too ''short-sighted'' in my opinion. It seems like you immediately corrolate the terms ''robots'' and ''devices'' ''power'' to tech damage.
    Now ofcourse this is something personal, and you are entitled to your own perception. But what I want to say is the following:

Other people perceive those pages as more hybrid then you, and i'm almost sure that Carbine intended that way.

I think you should add YOUR deffinition of physical and Tech damage, before this thread can even get anywhere.
  5. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

No I didn't.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/classes/warrior.php

For ages, warriors throughout the galaxy would slice and dice their enemies with swords, only inevitably to find themselves confronted with something uncuttable. But then someone came up with the crazy idea of hooking a blade up to a fusion accelerator. The result? A marriage made in slaughterhouse heaven. Today's power swords come equipped with ten megatons of liquid awesome hurtage. In. Your. Fist.​

In response to the above and all the other stuff you said I explicitly clarified this in my reply to your last post.

I am not talking about damage types.

If you have a damage type fetish and an uncontrollable need to discuss it maybe you should make another thread for it.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Oke then completely off- the damage type.

Esper = Magical (as you say it,although I don't say it's real magic cause it isn't,but that was in another thread)
    Spellsplinger = Magical/Tech/physical
    Medic = Tech

Warrior = physical
    Stalker = tech/physical
    Engineer = Tech

Seems to me the only difference is going from ''magical'' to ''physical''.

Warrior = physical because of the thing he need to do (swing a big weapon, use brute force, raise his arm to aim with it). Seems to me that's pretty much all physical things he need to do. Even if he uses some more ''technical'' stuff like his plasma saw he still needs to do a (pretty) big physical action. Then he can jump/run towards people. Seems to me he's pretty much physical oriented in everything they do.

Stalker = a bite more tech since his nano things that help him, but he still has to jump/move/attack, even laying down a device or starting it would require a physical action.

Engineer = Tech....but this is mostly because I don't think pulling a trigger is a real physical action (it is but not as much in comparison to others the gun mostly does the job for the engineer hence why I say he's way more Technical then physical). Robots doing his bidding etc. Even his jumping are helped by a jet-pack....is there any physical he really does without Tech help? (retorical question).

And that without even using the word ''damage'' :p
  7. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

Hurray! :)

See the original post for how I actually say it. For espers I said "magic" in quotation marks just like that. My fingers didn't slip and I wasn't having a stroke. The use of quotations was deliberate and denotes that I'm saying they're kind of magical in theme.

So much for your getting off damage types...
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

If you read further it's based on their actions even without damage. As I said for swinging a weapon + wearing heavy armour you need physical strenght, yet for pushing a button to let robots do all the work you don't really need that, but you need to know something about technology.

I'm not talking about damage types i'm talking about what they need to daily life as their class.

I don't really see how you see that as being damage types.....:cautious: If it were damage types the warrior would've been Tech instead of physical. While most of the warrior tank abilities do Tech damage I still see him as a pure physical character. Hence why this last list is completely non damage related.

It's also how I see their training/education. I see that an engineer needs understanding of certain Technologies, while a warrior mostly needs to train and build strenght. The stalker needs to know his nanobots and yet needs to be agile enough so he needs to train a lot aswell. Hence why I still see him as a bit of a hybrid.

So again...not damage related, it's based around their whole life.
  9. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

Because you see the Spellslinger as physical. I could only presume you got that from their doing physical damage with bullets maybe.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Have you seen how much they jump/run etc.? And they don't have a mecha suit like the engineers to help them with all that.

So I imagine they are psysically stronger then engineers. But that's just because in every freaking video they are running :p while those espers in every video are mostly standing still.....(lazy bums)
  11. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

Everyone runs and dodges. Espers only run a bit less because they have to stand still to execute their long range psi builder.

The only extra mobility that Spellslingers get that I'm aware of is purely magical - their void jumps.
  12. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

13. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

14. Karnaj

Karnaj New Cupcake

Honestly never put thought in to this but I think the OP is right. I would have been nice to have a Magic based tank. Don't see to many in most games and it would have added good flavor. That being said, I think it's a little late for it now.
  15. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

Oh definitely. Whether it's something players want or not I don't think they should even try to address it at this stage. Too close to launch and anyone willing to play in the sci-fi setting should be ok with a tech-themed character class.

If there is demand they can always add another tank class later or new ability types which allow players to theme stalkers and warriors with a bit of esp or void magic.
  16. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I guess you guys don't know, but when we didn't knew about the Engineer and Medic classes some peeps had data mined all the classes Carbine was working on.

And I can say to you that there were quite some ''magical'' classes in that list ;) So....who knows.....future X-pack?

I mean they had classes like:
    Shadow Monk (I think this one was changed into the Stalker)
    Charmer (While Esper was in the list aswell, I do think they got merged? or something)
    Flux Reaver (isn't that awesome sounding? I really liked this name)
    Elementalist (still seen in some of the races on Nexus, although not the races we can play)
    + the known classes (except stalker, hence why I think the monk changed to the stalker)

So those are kinda ''magical'' to me.

I'd say:
    Charmer/Elementalist = DPS/Healer
    Flux Reaver = DPS/Tank

But this is just mere speculation on VERY old information.