1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Tanking Endgame!

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Kayoru, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Kayoru

Kayoru New Cupcake

Hey,

I have a hard time choosing which tanking class i should play towards endgame cus endgame is all what matters for me. I just can't choose between Warrior and Engineer Tanking both have their pros and cons. I know engineer can pull adds easily due their range while warrior will have a hard time pulling adds, does that make warrior is more suitable for boss tanking than engineer or is engineer more suitable for endgame boss tanking? I always have been a melee type of a guy but engineer tanking seems fun so does warrior. I know it's beta and i know classes arent balanced yet, soo guys help me out!!!
  2. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

The Warrior's arm cannon does have a couple of options for ranged pulling. One being Plasma blast, though it affects 5 foes, and grapple. It's not quite the options that Engineer has when it comes to range pulling, but it is at least something.

The fact is that a Engineer's ranged nature will make it easier for them to group up more adds that stray from their aggro. Simply because they have far more options than a Warrior. Likewise, the ranged nature will help an engineer avoid melee range telegraphs.

It begs the question if a warrior might be just a bit more survivable and deal big bosses better than an engineer. Or Carbine may correct the balance by having melee attacks generate more threat that lasts longer than ranged attacks. Thus making it easier for warrior to hold aggro longer while chasing adds.

Personally, I kind of think the engineer would make the better tank too. They can collect up strays easier and their bruiser bot can aid in this too. Range and robots just give them more options it seems. This makes them viable in a variety of situations as I really doubt end game will just be a matter of holding the bosses aggro and standing in front of them. A tank that has more tools to deal with the unexpected seems like it will always be more useful.
  3. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Pick the Stalker! Pick the Stalker! (sorry, you had to know a post of that would show up) However - why aren't you considering the Stalker as a tank???
  4. Kayoru

Kayoru New Cupcake

i just like tank being a heavy armor xD
    But I've been thinking about engineer and their bots, bots will die in telegraphs and might lose some of your abilities in engineer tanking
  5. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

:D
  6. Kayoru

Kayoru New Cupcake

My bad xD
  7. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Nothing says you have to keep the bots out or even take them on your LAS bar. Better to think of them as just tools. You're tanking a big boss and two spawns of add comes and goes after your squishies? Fling a bruiser bot at one for a minute or two! Just enough time for you to gather up the aggro from the other.

The time you need to gather up the second group allows your DPS to take the other one down while your bruiser bot distracts them.
  8. Kayoru

Kayoru New Cupcake

Hmm, such a hard time picking a class T_T well i'll see after closed beta ends how much they balanced the classes
  9. Phirlyon

Phirlyon New Cupcake

I've been having a real tough time deciding between these two classes myself. From what I saw in the class stream, the bots with the Engineer are a real turn-off for me. Also the slowdown when firing (some or all spells?) is also something that as me concerned about their ability to stay at range.

On the other hand, the flavor of the Engineer and the idea of possibly a real ranged tank have me intrigued.
  10. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

Due to limited action set, bots are by no means a must bring for an engineer, dps or tanking. You need your taunts on the bar, your spamable, your single target nuke for boss aggro, your big aoe for pulls and add aggro, at least 2 cc with at least one of them being able to remove interupt armor depending on the CD, a survival CD, and maybe an escape for emergencies. Unless a bot works nicely into your other setup, taking it can be a drawback since it prevents another spell from going onto your bar. That being said, your bruiser bot is like an extra taunt, and somewhat of a cc that temporarily prevents your dps/healer from being eaten alive, its effectiveness is directly related to your own micro-managing skill, the healer's bot-friendliness, as well as luck. So it's not as reliable as a real taunt or real cc 'cause it could just die in 2 seconds, or it simply takes too long to run to the target, but when it works, it works GOOD. It's your decision whether if you'd like that uncertainty in your tanking game play, but you're certainly not "required" to take bots --- you get access to other skills as well as other AMPs/Skill Points, it's really not gimping you, just a matter of choice.

As for the slowdown, it's only when you activate the super armor (2 min CD, engineer class ability, lasting for some 20 seconds? I can't recall exactly) that you get a constant 25% movement reduction, but I heard you can get rid of that with AMP. Having said that, I don't think Engineers would actually tank melee mobs at range --- That would be kiting, and you wouldn't need heavy armor for that, a Spellslinger would do that better. Ranged mobs, for sure, instead of running up to the mob you can nuke it at range and keep the aggro on yourself, but melee mobs still run to you. There might be slow moving/snare-enabled mobs and/or boss that you can indeed kite, but if such mechanism is required, it will make warrior and stalker tanks very unhappy and miserable, so I don't think it would happen THAT frequently. Occasionally as an alternative plan yes, all the time no. Also keep in mind that the dps will be forced to run with you if you end up kiting everything, and that slows them down quite a bit, especially for the esper who can't move while casting some spells and might very likely miss if the mob moves too fast. The benefit of a ranged tank lies in the pulling ability and the aggro reach, instead of running around grabbing aggro you just turn and fire and that stray mob come running for you, but you'd still for the large part stand and take the hits (normal hits from mobs, NOT telegraphs. NO ONE takes telegraphs.)

There are definitely instances where you don't want to get hit at all but would still like the aggro to be kept on one person instead of having the mob/boss running toward random dps, of course here an Engineer tank will have an upperhand over the other two classes. I just don't think it happens every pull from the videos (and by common sense, think about the QQs warrior and stalker tanks would have).
  11. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

/Aoe spam anyway so it doesn't really matter in the end.
  12. Phirlyon

Phirlyon New Cupcake

Thanks for the details Felion. That makes me feel quite a bit better about my perceived limitations so far. I guess the only thing left is to experiment with them both.
  13. Kove

Kove New Cupcake

Hi there - Is there any info on the mechanics of each tank ie: resist vs soak vs avoidance?

I generally prefer playing a resist style tank (SWTOR Bounty Hunter etc) and I have not been able to find much on the mechanics around how tanks tank

At a guess I gather the Stalker is avoidance, Warrior soak (lack of shield) and the Engi a resist tank but I could be completely wrong. Can anyone point me in the direction of a thread/vid etc?

Thanks