Tanking in Wildstar!

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Jenk1ns, Jun 11, 2013.

1. cirk

cirk Cupcake

I wasn't implying that other roles are inferior. And I have no intention to start this discussion. This thread is about tanking and in my post I described my personal feelings and opinions about this role in a non objective way. I haven't played wildstar before so I have no idea how the roles will perform and your copy paste skills don't make for a good argument either. No role can do anything without support of the other two. We all know that there is no reason to be a smartass.
    The Duck, Drayvo, Sonntam and 2 others like this.
  2. Dalgrimar

Dalgrimar Cupcake

I will play Tank in PvP, as i will do only 100% PvP
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

i said you gave off the feeling, especially with this sentence:
    Which means it was my perception of your text, which is an opinion and may or may not be true at all. So it wasn't an attack to you, so sorry if you perceived it as so.
    That's what i wanted to make clear, that how the role works in WS is different from other games. So tanks may need to move more to get inside some heals of the healers etc.

Solely talking about tanking without using the other roles will just makes this thread ends up without any depths of the tanking role inside a party/group.

I see WildStar given ALL roles a more complex job then in some other games. Communication will be as important to the other roles aswell, because you want to know as a tank that if you could step 1 yard behind you'd be inside an AoE heal etc.

As for the boss fights (as a tank) i see less tank and spank kinda encounters, this because the use of telegraphs (more then in other games) and in combination with the less ''grid healing'' as in games like WoW, so a raid (and mayby tanks aswell) will need to move for some heals. This ofcourse depending on the actual mana costs, amount of target/AoE/free-form heals etc. if they can just spamm heals it doesn't matter.

Ofcourse things are still subject to change and we can't say for sure untill the game is done. But i'm asking to look at the tank not as a solo role but more in conjunction with the other roles, for i feel that is what makes tanking in WS more different then from some other games.

Also completely on topic:
    As for the tanking i hope they make threat something worth watching for! I've played too many games where you had threat but the first hit you did kinda made it go up so fast that you wouldn't lose it unless another tank would taunt....which is a shame. I would love to more manage the threat.
  4. Xaroc

Xaroc New Cupcake

I'll be trying out the Stalker tank during beta or raid testing, if it's anything like the Brewmaster Monk from WoW then I'll give it a shot, I like a quick and fluid tank who can be anywhere in a moments notice. If there's anything I really liked about the Monks mobility it was their Clash move. I remember using it on fights like Elegon where I would combine it with roll in such a way that I could get the add to exactly where I wanted it to be(next to the outer ring) by rolling out of the ring and having it meet with me right at the edge, used to impress a lot of people with that. :cool:

The Warrior looks interesting as well, I've seen both a charge and a Death Grip like tractor beam thing in the gameplay videos, they likely share a cooldown though. I just hope they don't make these guys the "main" tanks and force guilds to take two of them, really hate it when games do that.
  5. Sqwarsh

Sqwarsh New Cupcake

I love being a tank. I am going to start off as one and see how it goes. It seems like it will be fun in Wildstar.

I admit I am a novice with action style MMOs though. I'm sure I will mess up and piss some folks off along the way, lol.
  6. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Love the fact that every class is hybrid. My main is always a derps, but I grew fond of tanking over the years, so yeah, stalker, or maybe, just maybe, the last class will be ranged/tank. Mhm....that be ideal:p

Seems it's set to be though - each class is hybrid - and each can dps. That means remaining two will need to be heal/dps and tank/dps:)
  7. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

The thing about healing is that you can mitigate the damage that bad tanks and DPS can cause... but that's it. Your ability may allow others be more lax, but it's not quite the same, since a good and a bad tank has a stronger impact on the experience of the run.

Healers are emergency buttons that can pull of miracles, but their reliance on the group makes them feel weaker. Tanks are more self-reliant on damage mitigation and everyone adjusts to them (within justifiable boundaries), not the other way around.

Like a healer I felt exasperated at the group, as a tank I didn't have to worry so much about getting a bad group, since I had so much control over how I wish to handle the fights: carefully or more brazenly.

No matter how much Wildstar mixes things up, it is still very unlikely the DPS or healers will have even a fraction of that control available to them.
  8. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

I've always gone for the offtank role when I've been in big fights. I kind of like being Mr I Don't Think So.
  9. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

I have played a tank in many mmorpg's and find that i'm missing out if don't roll one on every mmorpg lol

If i were to speculate on wildstar tanking ( I'm not up today on information)...

My observations from the videos ive seen:
    • AoE Threat looks easy to maintain.
    • Single Target Threat looks easy to maintain.
    • Threat management will inevitably be managed by 3rd party threat meters(addons)
    • 1 Weapon type for tanking.
    What is not clear:
    • Mitigation of Direct telegraph damage vs Avoidance.
    • Block mechanics seeing as there is no foreseeable shields
    • Provoke systems in a sci-fi setting.
    • Aggro Swap
    • Tank Itemization
  10. Drayvo

Drayvo Cupcake

The primary reason I started tanking was faster que times after I had played everything else for 3 years in mmos. I'll never look back :up:

While, we all would love fast dungeon que times for everyone, lets face it - we love the instant que times that tank classes typically get. It is still a major reason why I tank and will continue to do so.
  11. DimitriZ

DimitriZ New Cupcake

I hope one of the new classes is a Paladin type class. Very tanky and can also heal.
  12. Searinox

Searinox New Cupcake

Same reason for me :p got sick of having to wait for a tank all the time so decided to make one myself xD
    not only did i fall in love with the fast queue pops, i also found it alot more rewarding then my dps role :3

So yeah here is to hoping that tanking will take abit of effort here :3
  13. Vulgork

Vulgork Cupcake

I'm thinking that since 50% of the classes in Wildstar can tank and noone is forced to dps, there'll be less difference in queue times than in WoW.
  14. Searinox

Searinox New Cupcake

While thats true i doubt you'll see more tanks running around in WS simple because 50% of the classes can tank.
    It will still take a certain setup to be able to do it and that setup generaly wont allow you too shoot out those big numbers ppl roll dps classes for :3
    i for one doubt most of the ppl rolling a Stalker will do it for becoming a tank but more for beeing a 'stabbity stab rouge' ;)
  15. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I'll be playing Stalker for the tank, I've always loved the "ancient" idea of agility tanks. More movement, less mindless staying still and soaking damage.
  16. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

lol nvm read that wrong :)
  17. Searinox

Searinox New Cupcake

Ofcourse Ico thats why i said 'Most' ;) I'm also planning on rolling a Stalker Tank because i love that Ancient Idea :3

i just doubt most ppl will roll a Stalker for the same reason. think most ppl will just see em as Tough DPS.
  18. Monet

Monet New Cupcake

Definitely will be rolling a healer of some sort, looking forward to the challenge of having to "land heals." And of course healing my lovable tanks!
  19. Jefferson

Jefferson New Cupcake

It seems likely that all three tanks will be actively dodging attacks. As far as quickness/agility avoiding non-telegraphed attacks, that's an aesthetic thing more than functional (mitigation tanks are easier to heal than avoidance tanks, so it's a pain to balance well).
  20. Warslyfe

Warslyfe Cupcake

I'm rolling my stalker as a DPS, but I chose the stalker for my DPS because I enjoyed the Riftstalker in Rift and the Warrior in TERA. That means I could very easily switch into a tank role and might even make that my main focus if the need arises.