1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Tanking in Wildstar!

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Jenk1ns, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Talberry

Talberry Cupcake

I'm planning to roll a warrior in Wildstar, and would love to get some insight on how the tanking is going to work in such a movement based combat environment. Hopefully we'll get a dev speak on it?
  2. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

I'm hoping that they make threat matter. Just aoe'ijg everything is boring even if you do need CC.
    Zadok and Grim Fandango like this.
  3. jackashflash

jackashflash Cupcake-About-Town

Without threat there is no tank. He is completely pointless.
  4. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

I'm the same way. I'm a big fan of off-tanking. Sucks that main tanks get all the glory though; off-tanks are the ones who really have to work in the encounter, dammit!
  5. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

Yes. AoE tanking abilities are the worst thing Blizzard ever let run rampant in WoW. It's the real reason CCing fell out of grace and why dungeon runs became boring and static. The second worst thing was lowering the amount of aggro healing causes. Knowing that if you didn't CC properly that the tank wouldn't be able to hold everything at once *and* that they would all go for the healers because of that is what made things much more interesting and showed the difference between competent DPSers and the dunderheaded ones who didn't even bother keeping sap/freezing trap/polymorph/etc. on their action bars. And when you did find a tank who *could* handle that situation when it happened and keep the healer alive just made them an even bigger commodity and reason to chum up to, too.

Hopefully WildStar won't go down that same path.
    teh_ninjaneer and Vulgork like this.
  6. Vulgork

Vulgork Cupcake

100% agreed. It used to be a lot more interesting in WoW when you actually had to keep tabs on enemy aggro and situations arose where you had to be all over the place, taunting mobs and slapping them across the head to make them stick to you once they'd ran away.

I feel that Guild Wars 2 also lost much of its potential to the AoE-spamming. Unfortunately from what I've seen of wildstars abilities in demos and trailers they are pretty much all AoE to an extent. Might just be a false first impression though.
  7. Drayvo

Drayvo Cupcake

True, but lets face it - AoE is fun for many people, it should just be implemented in moderation. Doing 10 times the damage you normally do because your spells are being cast on 10 monsters is friggin sweet! I agree that game design should dictate strategical pulls as well, since many people find it more fun than AoE spam.

I think a good balance must be struck between trash pulls to make the trash fun like boss fights rather than tedious and repetetive - incorporating all sorts of mechanics including, but not limited to AoE pulls is a good start.

Also, AoE pulling should be a tactical decision in itself with a risk/reward associated with choosing not to cc, a decision that should be much deeper than "our tank takes more damage, but we do more damage." Reactive trash mobs with varying combat mechanics is a good start.

BUT all of this means nothing unless players are rewarded for being challenged on something other than boss fights in a dungeon:
    Challenging trash pulls are only truly fun if the gain/rewards are equal to the effort spent to complete them SO make them actually mean something is my biggest wish.
  8. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

Other than appropriate loot drops from trash in dungeons, the reward is access to the upcoming boss. I agree that the trash before the boss should exhibit some of the mechanics that you will see on the boss.

Seeing how the telegraph/cleave system works has me extremely worried that the days of tab sundering are done but I can see how they can make this system difficult with ranged mobs/mobs to be interrupted for MoO and other things. I just dont want to hit them once while dps focuses them and never have to worry about them peeling off - I should have to concentrate with them on that task, let it be single target or aoe. Oh, I would also love to see, for those cleave telegraph, the middle target taking the most threat so aiming precisely does matter. I do see that the skill level for tanks will end up being higher, perhaps making it less accessible for those interested in learning it but sadly, still doesn't change my hope for tanks having to concentrate on positioning, threat, keeping alive through shielding/interrupting *sniff*
  9. Vulgork

Vulgork Cupcake

Sure, aoe is fun, but not when everything is AoE.

What felt so good about AoEing in WoW was that most of the time it wasn't viable (too uncontrollable, too mana-hungry), but now and again a situation came around where it just made sense and that made all those damage numbers lighting up feel so good.
    Grim Fandango likes this.
  10. Fightdude

Fightdude New Cupcake

I really like the notion of a stalker tank. The idea of a stealthy character who can hold his own soloing, but get out in front of a group and frustrate the bosses with dodging and taunting. I'm keeping my expectations in check, and I reserve the right to change, but for now, it's Aurin Stalker all the way for me.
  11. Urkan

Urkan New Cupcake

Definitely rolling a tank, here. Probably main a stalker, with warrior alt, but that's subject to change with the unannounced races. Been tanking raids in WoW since WotLK but never tanked a 40 man. That's got me a little worried, haha.
  12. Zubbulon

Zubbulon Cupcake

I started tanking in wow, just 5 men and a few raids. I got bored with the game so left and tried a few other games. I am now tanking in SWTOR and I really enjoy the challenge even if god forbid something goes wrong (its the tank fault) .

Tanking in wildstar will be different, well I think everything will be different with the way battle is player skill based. I will be looking into tanking for sure but depending if I get a beta invite or not, it wont be my first toon. I have to learn how everything works before I start tanking.

as for class, I don't know yet, warrior or stalker or engineer if they do tank.
  13. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

Tanking a 40 man in WoW wasn't all that different than the 25/10s. Mainly consisted of holding threat, though now you have 38 other raiders who potentially can't manage their aggro properly. But you're the meat shield it's your job to face tank it, so you do. In Wildstar it will be entirely different, with positioning, actual dodges, and telegraph damage/healing coming into play. I think the stress will shift to being a skilled MOBILE tank, than a great face tank.

Personally, I will be Stalker tanking, unless the new tank class(staff/rifle) looks boss. I'm praying it's staff, rifle is too SWTOR, which Vanguard/PTECH were boring tanks.
  14. LoweGearShift

LoweGearShift Cupcake

I'm hoping that tanking in W* (read W-Asterisk, lol) is a good balance of mobility, reaction-timing, proper stat allocation, and skillful play. I've grown tired of Tanks becoming imbalanced because one or two classes scale well with stats, allowing them to either ignore mechanics or cheese the fight in some way, shape, or form.

On tanking 40-mans, I was nervous the first time I stepped into a 25-man raid after solely being a 10-man man but soon got my rhythm down and fell into a comfort-zone.

I've already said in several threads that I am psyched to play a Stalker tank (coming off the high that is Brewmaster Tanking in WoW) but I would love to see a game with action-oriented combat finally get a semi-ranged tank right. The Rifle class being a Trooper-esque tank, but instead of basically being a melee with a shooty stick they actually are partially ranged using skills similar to the WoW Hunter's Disengage to keep ranged/out of the bosses hands.
  15. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

Brewmaster tanking was by far the best in WoW, so much freaking fun. Actually took quite a bit of skill to manage everything and when done right...HOOOO BOY.

As far as the semi-ranged tank, there has been talk about a ranged tank before on this forum and many others. It just can't work unless they have 100% uptime on the boss, which will be hard to do while running, jumping and dodging. There also can't be any melee bosses then, since it would be incredibly more beneficial and easier for the healers to heal a ranged tank than a melee tank in that situation. If there was to be ranged bosses, they would be like turrets or have an intelligent enough AI to be able to maneuver through all of the Telegraphs the raid would drop, or just drop a <REDACTED> load of it's own Telegraphs. I'm not against a proper ranged tank, but it is not realistic.
    LoweGearShift likes this.
  16. LoweGearShift

LoweGearShift Cupcake

That makes sense. If the system was designed with a ranged tank in mind I think it could work, but looking at the videos that are available right now it doesn't appear to be which leaves me wondering if the Rifle class will be a healer, seeing as all the other classes have DPS/Group Role.

I'm really curious what kind of raid cooldowns each class will bring to the fray, if any. Will all the different specs get special ones or will they be based on class? And what will they do considering combat isn't solely based on internal dice rolls. It would be awesome if the Stalker brought something similar to the Druid Group speed boost from WoW. On a somewhat related note; I mentioned this in another thread but I really hope that the Stalker Tank has access to a decent stealth cloak, I'd love to get back that feeling I had as a Feral Druid tank and Stealth-bearing bosses pre-Mists.

Off-topic, the community here is pretty danged great. I love how little negativity there is so far, even for other MMOs, it's a breath of fresh air in a sea of E-Peen.
  17. Johnhandcock

Johnhandcock Cupcake

I never understood the fetish that is ranged tank. How does it even work?

If the boss melee's, then you aren't going to be ranged.
    If the boss stays at ranged, then you have a huge advantage in avoiding any telegraphs centered around the boss.
  18. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

Ranged tanking really relies on the mechanics of what you are fighting, wow did this well with Leo'theras and the first boss in gruuls lair, but they were made specifically to range tank.
    I think most people are seeing the rifle or shotgun character as a tanky figure (which I think will work) but I also think they would work more with buckshot type abilities.

Stuff with a wide arc and a mid range on it, you could still tank like any normal tank, but with a gun. I just can't see "ranged tanking" being a core mechanic though, how it would work is a hell of a question.
  19. Johnhandcock

Johnhandcock Cupcake

Yah, but you are talking about certain fights designed with it in mind. I don't see how you can make every fight accommodate a ranged tank without giving him a large advantage.

Yah, it is a hell of a question. I just can't see it working at all tbh.
  20. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

From what has been said in one of the presentations(the one with aurin esper soloing a lower level dungeon or whatever it was), there will be a possibility to build yourself as either absorption tank or an evasion one(I suppose it'll be more or less viable depending on the class, but idk). Obviously former would be easier to heal because of being more static, while the later could have a nice love-hate relationship with the healers. A good evasion tank would probably require very little attention, allowing healer to focus more on the different forms of support(or healing derpy damage dealers), on the other hand a crappy one would not only be a nuisance with aiming the recovery skills, but also take tons of damage all the time.

As for ranged tanks I understand how somebody could see it as interesting, but it would probably be very annoying for the dps. While you can dodge around the face of the boss without turning it around, kiting would make the whole battle too mobile. I'm all for not letting DDs "just dps"(especially ranged ones), but that would be too much, especially knowing they'll already have to avoid AoE telegraphs and whatnot.