1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Tanking in Wildstar!

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Jenk1ns, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Zellexe

Zellexe New Cupcake

Yeah I am excited for tanking I used to do it in a lot of different MMO's (Never tried it in wow) but I think I will start playing DPS more now in this game.
  2. Argo

Argo New Cupcake

I don't know. I am the type of person that only feel right tanking when I have a shield in my hand, not sure why. I tanked for 5+ years in WoW and I loved it. Could not get into tanking in any other game unless I was holding some sort of shield.

I will try tanking in Wildstar too (like I do in every game), and hope it's the first game I can get into tanking without a shield in my hand, if that fails I usually just end up what is fun to play, no defined back up role.
  3. LoweGearShift

LoweGearShift Cupcake

Don't despair yet, true believer! The Warrior class has been shown in several videos to have a Buzzsaw shield that I foresee having a bigger role in tanking, and we have not yet seen the third tank class.

As someone who started his tanking career as a Bear druid in WoW using a shield has always felt like the easy way for me. Nothing feels quite as fulfilling as blocking the baddies from bashing your broskies/beauties than using your block-head! If the Stalker is anything like the Druid or the Monk from WoW then I will be a happy camper, as I have said before...in this very thread I think!
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

You may think they only have a Buzzsaw shield, but I think they have a wide variety of holographic shields :p

They got this one aswell :up: Although it only comes when using you ''rush-taunt'' ability.
    kfyv.jpg
  5. Lisa

Lisa New Cupcake

Very much so, I can't wait to get my Cassian Warrior and take you boys to school.
    Hob likes this.
  6. Hob

Hob Cupcake

Love me some tanking. As in most games I will probably have one of each tank (not because I pick the most OP one, but because I simply like tanking -that- much.) After seeing more in depth videos about the combat, I'm super super excited. I really like the idea of having to be very mobile as a tank, versus just standing around. and sundering my keyboard.

Some things I would like to see:

Making LoS matter.
    Making CC matter.

Something I would not like to see:

Evasion tanks.

I actually want to expand on 'no evasion tanks'. I would like to see all of the tanks have the same defensive stats ultimately, and the same priority. Too many games have tried making the tanks different by having one with the most mitigation, one with the most hit points, and one with the most evasion. It's completely unnecessary and a headache to balance. Make the tanks differ simply by their over style and flare, their choice in armor and weapons, etc.. but keep the stats ultimately the same. As a tank, I honestly don't care where my defense comes from. I simply want to be able to tank and take hits as good as the other guy.
    Reeve likes this.
  7. Devorak

Devorak New Cupcake

I'm always sorta the designated tank in my group since I'm the only one who's good at it and I enjoy being the tank considerably, but tanking in Wildstar is intimidating to me. Maybe I just lack confidence in my skill but removing the targeting system and reintroducing 40 mans has me worried that I won't be good enough to experience the full game I.E high end raiding.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if the combat feels like something I can enjoy and master to alleviate my concerns. Hopefully Carbine doesn't make the mistake so many games make and fail at balancing roles in groups. Ideally group compositions transfer nicely into raids and this isn't a concern but somehow I doubt any raid will require 8 tanks.
  8. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

I always enjoyed Warrior tanking in WoW, at least back when it was a challenge to hold onto 6 mobs at once with no AoE abilities. The feel of having to maintain control in the fight is fun for me. Here's hoping tanking is awesome like that in Wildstar. I could imagine it being even more awesome, potentially.
  9. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

I can agree with this to some extent. Defensive stats just allow you base survivability, which isn't especially interesting except inasmuch as more defensive stats are better. It's the abilities and mechanics and fights that define the fun of tanking. So I don't care if all tanks have the same stats being attractive to them, as long as the abilities and mechanics and fights are interesting.
  10. Zyd

Zyd Cupcake

I want to see first what classes can tank, but in this game seems that is going to be really fun to be one.
  11. Jimbob767

Jimbob767 New Cupcake

I love tanking, I've tanked in every MMO I've ever played but after playing NW I'm worried about tanking in wildstar.never winter had a block system but it was a bit broken because I could spam block plus an ability that allowed me to generate my shield bar points and as long as I moved from a few moves that got passed my shield (and made sure everything was in front of me) I was invincible. Wildstar combat looks amazing but combat in wow and rift broke for me after NW.
    I don't think it will be the same in WS. I'm looking forward to the cc abilities described in videos but it will be hard because what I've seen from the combat you can't stand still for longer than a few seconds and the boss fights make you constantly run. Still should be interesting :)
  12. mikoico

mikoico New Cupcake

i loved to tank with Blood DK , but my true love was the rogue,
    now with stalker u are a stealth class with tanking capabilities, so im definitly gonna roll stalker tank for fast queue and dps for solo
  13. kichkinet

kichkinet Cupcake

I've tanked in most games I've played. In WoW I MTed or OTed as a Druid, DK, Paladin, and Warrior in raids. My first tanking experience was actually with my Rogue I got Rallying Cry of the Dragonslayer as I logged out one day so when I came back a few days later I pugged RFC and ended up tanking the whole thing (I kinda felt bad for the warrior who was doing his dead level best to keep agro off me). I love taking with things that were not intended to tank like tanking as Shaman in everything between getting Earth Shock and the real tanks getting much better armor at 40. I even had my gorilla tank BRD when our tank pulled 3 groups, called the rest of the group a bunch of noobs, and left. With the player tank we didn't even get to the first boss but with gorilla we made it to the flame boss before someone's guildie came in and tanked it the rest of the way. Even as a DPS I still have a bit of a tank mentality if something goes for the healer my first reaction is "don't you DARE look at my healer." That being said I plan on playing a DPS stalker but if the need arises I will definitely tank and as an altoholic I will probably tank on multiple characters.

Also on the topic of tanking in Wildstar is there any word yet whether they will be using a single or double roll combat system?

For those who may not know what I'm talking about a single roll system the server generates a single random number* to determine whether you dodge, block, parry,are missed, get crit, shield, etc. your percentages on your character sheet are, over long periods of time, extremely accurate. In contrast the double roll system creates 2 random numbers* there are a few ways of using the the two numbers but frequently it is set up so that one roll is for the attacker and one number is for the defender so one number determines miss, hit, and crit from an attacker and the other number determines whether the defender gets hit/crit, blocks, parries, dodges, etc.

* there is no such thing as a random number in computing they are psudorandom (false random) meaning that they appear random but over a period of time they will repeat a significant portion of the sequence again
  14. Osmond

Osmond New Cupcake

I'm glad to move away from the sit still against a wall and spam taunt style of taking that we see all to often in mmo's now & I think with telegraphs it will be easy to tell the good from bad tanks
  15. Jimbob767

Jimbob767 New Cupcake

Neverwinter did this well with the blocking mechanic, I didn't feel like I was just standing still, I had to think about when and what to block. (And that uses telegrpahs). I just don't understand yet how Wildstars combat, from what I've seen, will change tanking. It looks as though it will be hard to get aggro and it relies heavily on others dodging attacks themselves instead of tank taking the damage for them.
  16. binzer

binzer Cupcake

I've been addicted to tanking ever since I switched from healing on my WoW druid (remember when they transitioned from druid healing being difficult to being easy mode? Yeah...I got bored). Now I doubt I'll ever play a role besides tank, but I'm already torn about which class to play in Wildstar.

At first I assumed that the Warrior would be better in most situations, and that the Stalker would be niche, or a good secondary tank. After just reading all the patch notes that Carbine published, I'm actually pretty confident that Stalker is going to be very viable, and very fun. It looks like the stalker has multiple taunts, multiple threat generating abilities, and some sort of suit stance that increases armor (it looks like it has a passive armor buff but also an active one, so I think Stalkers will have to have good timing to be effective). There's even a note about changing the Warrior to have the same threat generation as the Stalker, so that's promising in terms of balance(it didn't say who was generating more previously).

What's even cooler, is that it seems like even while you're tanking, stealth will play a role if you play Stalker. I'm not sure how much of a role, but there's one taunt ability that has twice the duration if it's done from stealth (it looks like there's also some sort of partial stealth mode for Stalkers, so I guess that's key, but I don't really get how it works).

For the actual dungeon tanking part, I think I might like warrior more, but for everything else, I think I'll prefer Stalker. My druid was still my favorite mmo character ever, and I think that's because of the versatility. Stealth was awesome for resource gathering, pvp, and just plain being lazy. I can't even count the number of Warsong Gulch games I played as official kitty flag runner to get my friends' pvp ranks up. I still play "warriors" in other games because tanking is by far my favorite group role to fill, but solo it can be a bit bland to play.

Of course...we only have two options so far, and it seems like we might get a 3rd! A lot of people are speculating about a ranged tank, and I love my SWTOR bounty hunter so that could be tempting too.

This is going to be hard. I can't choose between Soldier or Scientist either. I love the idea of all the assassination and SWAT stuff....but...puzzles! How can I resist puzzles?

Edit: I noticed that the taunts in this game are long! I don't know about the Warrior abilities, but one patch note mentioned that the Stalker has an AoE 9 second taunt. Maybe this partially alleviates the issue of tanking and keeping aggro in a game with so much mobility?
  17. dasquish

dasquish New Cupcake

For those who haven't tried The Secret World, tanking there is a BLAST. The bosses are always moving, dropping aggro, summoning minions, laying down areas of AOE tht need to be avoided, doing ridiculous skills that you have to interrupt. It is hands down the most fun I've ever had tanking (or dpsing, or hell, healing) in a game, and I have tanked in just about everything. Putting a twitch/skill based dodge in a game makes for much more interesting and mobile fights. I only wish TSW had MORE end game content.

Needless to say, if things like that are implemented rather than being a straight gear grind so I can tank whilst others spank, I will be extremely happy. I'd also love for a ranged tank to be properly implemented in this game. It is screaming for it and I have yet to see another game pull it off properly. (TSW almost does, but their primary tank trees are all melee based with ranged "support" skills)
    binzer likes this.
  18. binzer

binzer Cupcake

Agreed about TSW! On a side note, how awesome are the investigative missions?

TSW is what me got super excited about the combat system in WS (although it looks like WS takes it to a whole new level). The active dodge is awesome, and there are quite a few missable skill shots too (although they usually only miss in pvp). The only thing I don't like about tanking in TSW is that we're expected to do a ridiculous amount besides tank. We're also usually responsible for bringing 3 interrupts, applying Weakened and Afflicted to every mob, and applying ward effects and "oh $***" buffs to ourselves. On top of that, the threat generation isn't just "easy mode", and since you can only have so many abilities active, it's usually not even possible to have a taunt on your bar. The fact that it's a bit challenging is what makes it fun, but the fact that we have to apply the exact same debuffs for almost every single fight seems a bit chore-like. I do like that you have to choose different abilities for different fights sometimes though, and I think that will be the case in WS too.

As far as ranged tanks go, I would be happy if they just had a few perks like in SWTOR, such as ranged taunting. Of course kiting and staying at range for much of a fight would be nice, but it's also nice to be in melee range and feel like you're really getting beaten on sometimes (ok that sounds weird). I also think it's a little less confusing for the group to not be at melee range (especially during that second when aggro is lost). That being said, it would be kind of cool if there was a ranged tank that put some sort of device at melee range.