1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Tearing Up Bad Reviews

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Eluldor, May 31, 2013.

1. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/30/viewed-prior-to-release-wildstar/
    from May 30th. If you don't like mega-critiquing (this isn't a rant, as it is well thought out), don't continue to read :D Although this is WildStar related, I put it down here, because the content is focused on well critiquing "reviews". Plus chit chat is cool.

Some previews are good, some are bad, and some are ugly. This is a combo of the bad and ugly combined, and I'm going to highlight some reasons why ;) People who preview games, and write in general, should avoid such mistakes.

I found the 2nd paragraph to be the harshest part towards the game, and I'm going to completely tear it apart! :devilish: If your 2nd paragraph is harsh/negative towards a game, that leaves the reader with an early poor taste.

"The player’s role is of courageous frontiersman or frontierswoman, who must go out into the dangerous wild. But this is a thematic wildness, provided by the setting, lore and NPCs, rather than a ‘real’ wildness, which is always best provided by the threat of other players. Although there will obviously be PvP elements, they are distanced from the PvE part of the game in ways that will be instantly familiar to MMOers – but more on that later."

Let's say what he is trying to say actually makes sense. The guy played it in such an early phase that the option to be both factions isn't even open yet (from what I have read). Beta 1 had Exiles. Beta 2 has Dominion. Whatever this guy played, was restricted to one faction. So obviously no Open World PvP was available.

Now since what he says doesn't make sense, I'll explain why. A "'real' wildness" doesn't have other players, because other people (players) don't make it wild. Creatures, environment, and the lack of people = wildness (adj): Occurring, growing, or living in a natural state. He probably meant wilderness (n.): or wildland is a natural environment on Earth that has not been significantly modified by human activity... though, and still fails there.

I've spent plenty of time in the "real" wilderness, going off trails, exploring streams, hiking mountains, and spotting cougar and bear droppings. Other people aren't a significant factor. The threat of other people (players) is actually something anyone is far more likely to interact with in the opposite of a wilderness, a "horrible megacity":) I have no idea why the writer chose to link that to the wiki, since more people are obviously familiar with cities than they are with the wilderness ;)

"NCSOFT say that, thus far, these maintenance jobs are purely for appearance"

Carbine isn't mentioned once here. This video game writer (if you call him that) doesn't even know the difference between a publisher (using NCSoft as Carbine) and a developer.

"In this instance, player housing will be placed on islands in the sky. But this also negates the chance of conflict over land space. Whether you’re a fan of that decision will depend on whether you like your MMOs to taste spicy or sweet. Personally, I think sticking to the safe road of disallowing your players to burn each other’s houses down somewhat defeats the idea of a game about frontiers. Then again, the closest I’ve ever come to enjoying an MMO was Mortal Online, so WildStar’s cuddly WoWish conventionalism doesn’t exactly feel targeted at me."

The guy may be onto something with the frontier feeling and destroying the other faction's housing. However, Don't dismiss your argument, and the entire review, with the part where you only came to close to enjoying one game out of an entire genre.

If you're not fit to review a game (or anything) in that field, don't do it :p
  2. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

I found the article well written and it had a few excellent points, particularly regarding instanced housing. The reviewer was certainly fit to write about this game and I really don't understand the need for this thread, bar some fanboy outrage over him not jizzing over the whole thing.
    tubthumper and Rumze like this.
  3. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I agree with bisquit. It's a decent article but nothing earth shattering .
    Was a nice read though , gave me some more settler info. Always like more articles!
  4. Eluldor

I mentioned the housing part (not sure if you even read what I said) and how he went on to dismiss that in his own words.

My fanboy outrage must be related to the wilderness, as I didn't touch much on WildStar (if you read what I said ;)) . Well written though? Ha.
  5. Eluldor

You can agree with him, but from his response, I have doubts he read most of what I typed.

Any comments on the "wildness" and players making that reality, NCSoft being Carbine, dismissing his actually good critique on housing, or not even liking one previous mmorpg (sounds like he only got close to enjoying one).

Those are where the meat is.
  6. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

It depends what you regard as well-written. It didn't have brackets in every sentence so that's a plus.
    tubthumper likes this.
  7. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

The ncsoft carbine mix up is lazy editing which the editor should have caught.
    The wildness part as well as the housing part just reminds me of a world pvper point of view. I've read tons of those many times.
    I'm still groggy and heading back to bed but it's a decent article. Nothing I'd recommend to someone else but to be honest , not the worst I've read. And I've read a lot of articles that give games a lot of hate and bad previews especially mmo ones.
    And a lot of ones that hype.
    I take everything with cups of salt now.
  8. Eluldor

Haha, I would say an Article/Preview has different requirements for being well written than a forum thread starter. If your brackets make sense, instead of just going off, then they fit into "well-written". For example, taking the place of commas: If your brackets make sense (instead of just going off) then they fit into "well-written".

I'll give him sentence structure and grammar, but my reply to Rumze is my focus.
  9. Eluldor

Fair enough. I wasn't impressed, because I didn't get any new information, and I felt like I know more about the game than the guy who played/previewed it :(

I should be sleeping now anyways. I"ll see what type of mess, or response, this late night concoction got me into tomorrow :).
  10. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

I actually read somewhere that the overuse of brackets is a sign of depression. I'll try 'n dig up the link.

To echo what Rumze said, the carbine/ncsoft thing was lazy but it happens. He may have received a dossier with 'NCSOFT' tagged all over the place. It didn't really spoil the read for me.

The Wildness I believe he was referring to, alluded more to an mmo setting than an actual African savannah. Think Darkfall or EVE Online. I believe he was just saying "This is more of a pve themepark game" - which it is.

And I apologise, I mis-read your final point. I'm all for open-world, non-instanced housing as well.
    tubthumper and Trahma like this.
  11. Eluldor

I'm interested in reading the source on the overuse of brackets.

I guess the wild(er)ness debate is one of PvE vs. PvP. Proper use of bracket there ha.
  12. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

From the article:

I think this sums up the article, and provides context for his opinions.
    Kataryna likes this.
  13. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

The NCSoft/Carbine mixup was a mistake. I thought the rest of the article was fine enough. The author disclosed the amount of time he spent playing the game, gave fairly objective descriptions of the gameplay, and disclosed his own biases toward certain types of games when expressing his opinions. That's all you can ask of a review.

I think his point at the end about WildStar trying to be both very accessible to new players while also targeting WoW's weak spots is actually quite interesting.
    Eluldor likes this.
  14. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

It was an "Okay" article, but he should have done research about the game, before writing an article about it. I always did that while I was working for the press.
    Eluldor likes this.
  15. Drarorm

Drarorm Cupcake-About-Town

Oh god, that was a killer, he shouldn't have mentioned that, now i won't trust anything he said and I wont in any further reviews (if i followed him), how do you allow yourself reviewing a MMO when you have not even experienced it, OK he might have read and watched something, but you need to experience it, played Mortal Online and is set for reviewing, I am pretty sure it doesn't work like that.
    Eluldor likes this.
  16. Eluldor

You make it sound like it was much better than the first time I read it at like 2 am. So I decided to re-read it during the day. Folks in the comment section pointed out the NCSoft/Carbine mistake, and the article wasn't even edited to reflect a correction. That's sloppy work x2, lack of editor?

I could say the article is decent, if you were not following the game. The article may even be "good" if this is your first read, and needed some catching up. Off the top of my head, everything I've read has been by people following the game. With one exception, a MMORPG preview, in which the editors admitted the writer wasn't in the loop on the game. :up: Now that is worth something.

Since I am following the game, I felt like his best critique on player housing, being separated from conflict, was destroyed by his lack of appeal to the genre in general. I understand that it is considered "good" writing to present biases and the argument against them as well, but I got the feeling that the guy doesn't really care for MMORPGs at all. Maybe I'd be best off by looking into what types of games the guy does enjoy to play.

Besides what you said, which is quite nicely put, one should do research (added below). I think the guy totally winged this, and then did his best to write something up.

+1 here. If the guy new something about the game before going into it, besides that NCSoft is related to the game somehow, it would have been far better. Additionally, if they sent someone who actually likes MMORPGS, and has a better familiarly with them, to go and play the game, it would have been far better.