1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Best of the Rest

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Corblock, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Corblock

Corblock New Cupcake

Good Morning / Afternoon / Evening to all

was doing my daily lap and going through the status updates here when I saw someones request for a MMO to pass the time while waiting on Wildstar. This got me to thinking, excluding that Monster no one can ignore over in the corner MMO *do I really have to name it* what is the best MMO in various peoples opinion past or present out there?

so basically what I am looking for here, since many of us are current or ex WoW junkies or haters, what is the best MMO you have come across in your travels excluding World of Warcraft, and if you can, tell us what made it the best MMO for you, and you can list more than one if that is the case

My choice

Eve Online- this is a space game I thoroughly got sucked into, and one of the first MMO's I played where dying had strong consequences against you, its sheer size is down right intimidating, and the fact that it is a true sandbox MMO that was controlled by the players was for me a real breath of fresh air. What made it even better for me was that Corperations or Corps *what guilds are called in Eve* could stake claim and basically have territorial control over star systems in the game, this sometimes led to some interesting pvp elements, but also lead to what I consider one of the best moments in MMO gaming, at the time the biggest corp in the game *Band of Brothers was the corp name* which controlled a vest section of the central systems and a large portion of the player driven economy, mysteriously disbanded without warning, this action completely threw the game economy into chaos and started a power struggle for the rich systems now left uncontrolled, just imagine if in WoW, all of a sudden every Orc just vanished and everything left behind was up for grabs in an open world pvp system, it was such a huge player driven moment that many of the top Gaming news sites actually posted news articles about it. for me, though other games have tried *rip SWG* I have yet to come across anything that comes close to touching the unique feel that one gets when you dig deep into Eve Online
  2. Draxus

Draxus Cupcake

Hows going with that choice?
  3. Tidezen

Tidezen Cupcake

I sort of halfway wish I had gotten into Eve...but it takes so long to get into. That and I don't exactly like PvP 'cept for when I'm bored.

But I don't know what my choice would be...I've played three MMO's this year:

I loved SWTOR, but only the leveling part, once I got to max I immediately lost interest and rolled a new char (some very good storytelling btw), then after I'd seen all those, I dropped it pretty soon after.

Played Rift for awhile, probably my longest outside of WoW (actually I played Rift at launch for about a year, then tried it again this year after a hiatus). I had a lot of fun, there are a lot of good things to be said about that game. But something was always missing for me, I dunno exactly what.

Then I tried The Secret World...ethereal, spooky ambiance, great storytelling, cool customization-- somewhat like Wildstar, you "slot" 8 abilities and 8 passives, but there're no classes, so you've got like 250 abilities you could possibly learn. And then they had to go and ruin it with the combat. I can't even tell you how long I played it...40 hours? 60? 100? I don't know, because everything took so long to kill I felt like I had entered some weird time warp field every time I entered combat (which is OFTEN, since mob density is so high).

I have never wanted to love a game so much as that one...the story, the atmosphere. The community is frickin' AWESOME, so many fun, helpful people in it...but gah, I just never could get past the combat. I'm gonna have to give it another shot soon though, see if maybe I was just doin' it wrong somehow.
  4. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

From what I hear EVE is not as good anymore mostly due to Goons.

However outside of Planetside 1 I think that EVE is likely the most balanced PVP MMO period.
  5. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think band of brothers mysteriously disappeared as much as the war with goonswarm took its toll.
    It was like a year long war that BOB won but then a 2nd war came out right after.

I will say eve has a very robust character creation which I wish more games would adopt but I guess its because its only used as a portrait.

Outside of wow a lot of mmos weren't up the snuff so to speak Age of Conan was too glitchy and had very little content to satisfy people. Aion was just boring. Warhammer was mediocre. SWTOR had nothing to keep you playing after leveling a toon to max. Rift people say is good but when I tried it man I couldn't get past level 20 it was so uninteresting and easy. Neverwinter had interesting combat but it just felt like instance after instance and had no open world and no room for exploration.

I tend to think the MMO genre and gaming in general left me in the dust in the direction it went. Mostly due to wow. Blizzard set out to make a theme park mmo and it worked by god it worked. Now many game companies don't want to rock the boat and just make a wow clone which won't cut it. Don't even get me started on some of simplification and difficulty changes wow went and in turn many mmos went.
  6. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

For me Anarchy Online was the best I ever played.

I would love an EVE style, one world game, but with avatars. I just couldn't wrap my self around being in a ship. Even though it wasn't one, I kept thinking of a flight sim, which i despise.
  7. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Not that it will be out any time soon, but I'll be keeping an eye on "No Man's Sky"....crazy if they can do this one right.

WildFly likes this.