1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Big Bad War Plot Thread!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Dragon[SVG], May 7, 2013.

1. Dragon[SVG]

Dragon[SVG] Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]Good news everyone! I’m [SVG]Dragon and I want to talk about War Plots! Now I know other threads have been made that discuss War Plots and what we know about War Plots already. However, I haven’t been able to find one specific thread or piece of media that just contains all of the information we know so far about War Plots. Also, as an aspiring game designer myself, I could never find a place where people could just talk about any interesting ideas they had for War Plots that they would like to see or that they just want to share with the community and get feedback on. With all that in mind I have set out to create this thread. THE ONE THREAD TO RULE THEM ALL (Well to rule all War Plot threads at least ;P).

Purpose of this thread:
    The purpose of this thread is to provide the community with one place to find all confirmed information that is available to us about War Plots. In addition this thread should focus on allowing the community to bring up cool design ideas we might have for War Plots and to give constructive and insightful feedback for these ideas that are presented! I want us to have a really constructive and open forum where we can just talk about design and things we would love to see in the game.

What we know about War plots so far:
    Ok so on to the meat and potatoes of this thread. Here is where I will be posting everything we know about War Plots, I will try to update this constantly as more info is made available to us! I will also provide links to all relevant media related to War Plots as it becomes available.

War Plot Information:
    ·War Plots will be large 20 v 20 or 40 v 40 battlegrounds.
    ·War Plots will be created by War Parties.
    ·War Plots are intended for Elder gameplay (late game).
    ·War Parties can capture raid bosses and use them in their War Plot to battle foes.
    ·When two War Plots fight against each other they will be brought into a single battlefield, on which they will fight each other.
    ·Players can customize the strategic layout of their War Plot.
    ·Players must work together to create a War Plot.

War Plot relevant media:
    ·“What is Wildstar?” video. Briefly talks about War Plots. à Watch it here
    ·Episode 19 of Game-on: Chad Moore talks about War Plots. à Listen here
    ·Pokket interviews Mike Donettelli at Pax East 2013. He talks a little bit about War Plots. à Watch here
    ·MMOFTW episode. Jeremy Gaffney talks a little about War Plots. à Watch it here

Ideas for War Plots:
    Here is my first contribution to what I would like to see in War Plots and some ideas I have been throwing around in my head about them!

In Plot Housing:
    From what I understand of War Plots, they are not only places for a war band to do battle, but they are also similar to Guild Housing or Guild Halls. With that in mind I believe that they are meant to be a community living space for a group, a place to gather and live together as a community. That is why I thought the idea of in plot housing would be beneficial to Wildstar and the War Plot experience. I believe that War Plots should be almost like an apartment complex or a Barracks, groups live there and work there, they have homes away from the War Plot but they have a home there too. To me a system in the War Plot that would allow players to visit something like a small room would be an interesting addition to the game that would make the War Plot experience a lot more interesting and engaging.

Instanced player rooms: Players could visit a small room that they could personally decorate just like they could their home. To encourage players to stay there benefits could be added, specifically relating to PvP. For example, let’s say the War Plot was in battle with another War Plot. If more players log off in their War Plot room the War Plot will receive a buff of some kind for having garrisoned units. This kind of gameplay mechanic would simulate the experience of having a garrison or fortified keep. The more soldiers that are in the building the better defended the position will be from attackers. Because this could potentially lead to players just fortifying the War Plot for the buff and not actually fighting, the buff could be stronger if the player is actually online fighting in the War Plot.

In Plot Resources:
    War Plot resources would be an interesting system if Guilds will be able to have their own War Plots. To add to the sense of community and to add more reason to spend time at your War Plot it would be interesting if there was a small plaza type area within it. This area would be open to have plugs added to it. I made a rough image of conceptually what this might look like:

[​IMG]

So essentially what this image shows is a rough layout of what the “courtyard” of any War Plot would look like. Guilds would be given a certain number of plugs and each of those plugs is assigned to a specific type of plug. In this image I am assume that there will be some sort of vendor plug that Guilds would be able to use in their War Plot. Ultimately they could put whatever they wanted into those slots to match the needs of their Guild. For example, you could put some sort of exclusive Guild gear vendor or a Guild Skill trainer into these slots. The middle slots called the resource plugs are where players would gather In Plot Resources. This small area in the center of the courtyard is where the guild can choose what type of resource node they want to have in their War Plot. Think of it almost as a Guild resource garden. Here Guilds could collectively decide what resources they want to have. Then Guild members could come and harvest the resources from these nodes.

When players gather from these nodes the gathered supplies will be sent straight to the Guild bank and the player that did harvest them could either receive guild XP or a small portion of the resources for themselves. These nodes could even be part of an exclusive set of Guild resource plugs. They could drop more resources than normal plugs or they could drop special items exclusive to those specific types of plugs. Players would be driven to go to the War Plot and spend time there if they knew they could obtain XP or some of these resources and aid their guild by harvesting them. Thus the War Plot would feel a lot livelier.

To add personal Flair to the court yard of any Guild the Miscellaneous slots would be a place where Guilds could put cosmetic plugs to set their War Plot Courtyard apart from others. Did your guild kill one of the hardest raid bosses in the game? Now you have a Plug with that bosses head on a spike and all who come into your courtyard know you all slayed him! What your War Plot to look even more like a Garrison? Put a solider plug in your Courtyard and Soldier NPC’s will spawn their and prepare for war by crafting weapons, and building defenses! Any type of plug to add a sense of character to your War Plot would go into these slots.

Here is a conceptual inspiration board for the courtyard:

[​IMG]

Specialized Rooms:
    Provided War Parties will be able to decorate the War Plot just like they can decorate their own house this system would allow players to place specific room types inside of their War Plot. For example there could the throne room plug. In this room there could be a throne that only the guild leader could use. When he sits in his throne a little crown could show up on his head or he could have some sort of royal armor placed upon him to show his power! There could also be chairs in the room for officers in the guild so they could also have their rightful spot next to the king. This could become a gathering room where War Parties and guilds meet to discuss things about the guild.

Another example could be a trophy room. Inside this room the Guild can place trophies on the walls that are given to them for obtaining specific achievements within Wildstar. Want to show off what you guys have accomplished? Bring someone to the trophy room and show them all the glorious accolades your guild has achieved. There could plugs with just about anything so that Guilds and War Parties could create These rooms could provide some sort of strategic buff to the War Plot or just be cosmetic. Either way they could promote player interaction within the War Plot.

All of these concepts are meant to bring players together in the War Plot. They are meant to make a much more involved social experience while playing in your War Plot. It will make it not only a place of war, but a place of gathering which is worth fighting for!

Thanks!
    Alrighty folks that is all I have for now! Thanks so much for reading this far and thank you in advance for all feedback on my ideas and on others ideas as well. As I said I will be updating this as we get more info or if more info is made available to us. If there is anything you see missing please message me or post about it in the thread so that I can add it to the list. Please let me know if you like the thread because if you do I would like to make more for other aspects of the game so we can have places to talk about interesting designs and ideas for the game. Also let me know if there are other specific areas of Wildstar you would like to see a thread like this for. Thanks for reading!
    Brexton, WildStone, Dean Fry and 6 others like this.
  2. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

if warplots are 1/2 as cool as they sound ... uhm, excuse me i need to change my shorts.
    Androssi, Dysp and Dragon[SVG] like this.
  3. Dragon[SVG]

I know that feel bro.
  4. Nyxis

Nyxis Cupcake-About-Town

I'm so pumped for Warplots!

As for your ideas for specialized rooms, I find them pretty interesting! I think it's a concept that would be worth expanding on.
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  5. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Warplots are one of those things that I really can't wait to get involved in! I'm a role-player, but I loves me some PvP, and a Warplot is the ultimate PvP for the elder game.
    I, too, really liked the specialized room feature you spoke of. The visuals helped, too. ;)

I forgot about the capturing of raid bosses to be used! Oh geeze. *Clean up on aisle ME!*
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Since it's a Warplot thread i suggest you also take a quick look into the Warplot site :p

warplots.com

They will collect all relevant info about warplots aswell, inclusive tactics and other things. Mayby you can help them? Make that site really a collective ''archive'' of anything Warplot like.
    Mayby they can post this thread (with your consent) at their site?

Also in my Big Boys Thread (in my signature) in the pink section there are alot more fan-site's and more of them have posted about warplots already :D
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Now to be OT myself ;)

I'm so into Warplots and even tried defending it in multiple threads already that it can be something so awesome! So unique (with the WS/Carbine touch).

While i'm normally a bit more into raiding/PvE in general Warplots will be one of those features that can make me love PvP once again!
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  8. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

If there are epic week long battles between different warparties then having shops and resources in side your warplot would be pretty cool. I'd also like to see some scattered throughout the warplot battlezone - allowing you to venture out to risk life and limb to bring back some loot. Tie this in with upgrading your warplot (either directly - ie a new currency - or indirectly - like rare loot for crafting) and it could bring an interesting dynamic to this type of combat.

It's too early to tell what kind of feel they're going for with Warplot combat, so I can't tell if it'd work or not (and there are too many exploitable situations, so needs more balance anyway).
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  9. Dragon[SVG]

I totally think it they will be amazingly fun! It would be awesome for RP and for PvP purposes to have rooms like that to show off your accomplishments and to have a room where you could RP and boast of your victories!
  10. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

great thread Dragon, it turned out really well. You know I am pumped for War Plots and I can't wait to lead people into battle.
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  11. Dragon[SVG]

Hopefully you can have a War Room for your many battle exploits Beetle :p
  12. Dragon[SVG]

That would be awesome! I would love to have to get to like a safe zone or a forward position and just to get some special resource. the whole thing really reminds me of old AV from wow.
  13. Dragon[SVG]

yeah I looked into helping them! I would love to add to their site but I think it is nice having a thread similar to the Lore thread for War Plots and other features of the game!
  14. Marv

Marv New Cupcake

I just hope that with a massive 40v40 battle with turrets and raid bosses running around it doesn't lag like crazy on low-med end pcs.
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  15. Dragon[SVG]

I was thinking even with stuff like this in the game they could just instance the inside of the War Plot if you are outside you see just the walls but if you enter through something like a gate you see all the internal structures to deal with stuff like that.
  16. Marv

Marv New Cupcake

That sounds like a good idea, only issue may be what happens when you zone into their warplot and find out they have X mechanic setup on the entrance, and you get ganked while zoning in.
    I guess on the minimap you could introduce icons indicating certain defenses, i.e turret icon for stationary defense.
    But would that ruin defenses that require a keen eye to notice I.E traps/tripwires in a form
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  17. Sabre070

You don't draw things that are behind objects anyway - the actual processing cost of knowing that the objects are there aren't even a problem (and will most likely be optimized out, unless they need to be known).

The real problem comes when there are 80 people on your screen running around casting spells.
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  18. Slumberparty

Slumberparty New Cupcake

The biggest disappointment about this, is that it seems to require raid sized groups. That's a real bummer, and pretty much excludes smaller guilds. A 10v10 would be fantastic. I'm not going to get in to the raid size argument, because that's a whole can of worms, but the game is already catering to larger groups, which is absolutely fine, but there doesn't seem to be anything between 5 mans and 25-40 man raids (other than BGs, but those tend to be a lot less structured)
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  19. Sabre070

20 - 40 *

There are 20 man Warplots (maybe)

There are also going to be ranked battlegrounds, so I assume you'd be able to queue as a full group.

For pvp that means there is anything from 1 - 5, 10, 15, 20, 40. Plenty of choice. For PvE it's a bit more separated, but I think they are considering/planning to put in 10 man dungeons.
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.
  20. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

mm seems you got something wrong here, these war plots will be destroyed in battle, or so i thought from what i have read, so can't see how you would have your own room to decorate.

Well I suppose they can make it endgame, make a room, decorate, then lose it a week later to The Immortals :cry: ..so make it again ....for The Immortals to crush it again :mad:
    Dragon[SVG] likes this.