1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Big Beefy Beta Mega-Thread!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Echelon, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

I know how you feel. Doesn't matter how cocky it sounds, it's true that one applicant can potentially provide so much more constructive feedback compared to another, yet that quality is not specifically targeted in Beta invites almost in any games. And that can leave some of us feeling blue. But then again, maybe they've already have tons of rigorous testers already, they are a gaming company filled with experts on this topic, and surely have their own technical testers. They may need particular data instead of full list of bug report and performance tests, etc.

Professionalism includes the ability to focus on the job at hand regardless of emotional or subjective experience, a strong positive attitude alongside determination is also in itself a qualification. Who's to say that someone confident about the benefits that he'd bring to the table has a poor attitude?

Now definitely, they need a lot of "noobs" for beta testing. They should also get a few pros in there for things like difficulty level range. They're experts, they know what they want, so ultimately if we're not chosen, we're not chosen. But there's no apologies needed for feeling that you're better suited to the job than some other people --- It should be a GIVEN when you're applying in a competitive manner. If you already think that other people can do just as good as you and/or better than you, essentially you're just applying to "get in", not applying to "help". If you're thinking of helping, you willingly let the best do the job, and sometimes we think that's ourselves. Betas need both people who just "wants to get in" and people who are serious about "helping", inevitably it's the latter that will feel a bit more shunned when they're not chosen because the former was knowingly relying on luck anyways while the latter has an expectation. All very natural.

P.S. Ultimately though, everyone should obviously come to terms. Carbine knows what it's doing better than most of us, they're in the industry. So we trust them in whoever they pick, even if that's not us. Even if I can breathe fire and have wings, if it's not needed right now it's not needed, nothing personal and I shouldn't feel down about it. But I better be confident in breathing fire good regardless!
  2. BlindSkLz

BlindSkLz New Cupcake

im soooo excite for this game!
  3. gabers1

gabers1 Cupcake-About-Town

No one.

My point is that I would rather have a complete noob with a good attitude testing in beta than someone with software, programming or game skill with a poor attitude. I never suggested that someone with confidence or experience cannot have a positive attitude. I am sure there are quite a few people reading this post that might fall under your definition of expert or pro that have a great positive attitude, we just do not know about it as they do not come to the forum demanding that they should have been one of the chosen.

And again, it has been my experience that many of those (not all) that publicly throw their expertise around end up doing more public complaining and badmouthing of bugs, issues, and game mechanics than the noobs that are grateful to be there (not feeling entitled) exhibiting a positive attitude.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone having confidence in their abilities. I am a very confident person, you just do not see me using this confidence in a public forum to slam the company I would like to do beta testing for with the suggestion that by not including me in their beta they do not want quality reports.

I cannot disagree but qualifications for beta testing can also be defined as anyone that has the computer to install and run the game, use a mouse, read quest objectives, submit a bug report and is willing to abide by the NDA. There are plenty of 'noobs' that fit both of our descriptions.

And how do you define the terms used in your post such as pro and expert and how are they prioritized? Is someone that simply has a software or programming background more of an ‘expert’ than someone that has been gaming for 20 years? Is someone that has been gaming for 20 years more of an expert than someone that has been gaming for 5 but has done multiple beta testing for a couple different games during this time? Is the 16 year old that just started playing games but has an uncanny ability to level at a pace where he is running circle around the 10 year gamer less of a pro? And, if the developer's primary need is to simply test the server load and uncover obvious quest bugs that prevent progress who is to say that Joe Public is any less qualified than your expert or pro? (all questions rhetorical)

There is a difference between being confident in one’s abilities and offering this feedback directly to WS in a professional manner and showing up on a public forum with an entitlement attitude suggesting the company does not want quality testers because they were not chosen.

Then we agree! And if you would have started with this, I could have saved myself a lot of typing ;)
    Ianpact and Eliat_kuni like this.
  4. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

I'm pretty sure most MMO's have proper testers in their serious testing cycle. Ergo, people paid to test. If you're a professional, perhaps you should be applying your skills somewhere being, you know, paid for it.

Otherwise, trying to find different sorts of people is actually very important for gameplay testing. It doesn't matter that your hardcore of the hardcore guild loves the game if the rest find the interface super clunky.
    Eliat_kuni and Ianpact like this.
  5. Lidewyn

Lidewyn New Cupcake

from what ive saw on the reddit i dont understand how using multiple accounts doesnt work to get you keys even multiple ones seeing as how they say that exactly what they did and why they have extra keys to giveaway and no im not talking about people giving away their friend keys
  6. Eliat_kuni

Eliat_kuni Cupcake

What?
  7. Packetdancer

Packetdancer Addon Cupcake

I would lay down money that, if they did, people would almost all answer "I am seriously going to test the game." Whether or not they were seriously going to test the game. ;)

Actually, I'm going to edit this to add a bit more…

I also know people who will genuinely be like "I AM GOING TO FIND ALL THE BUGS" and who are professional QA folks, who get into a game and then find it doesn't 'click' for them, so they're not motivated to do that bug hunting. Conversely, I know people who are mostly like "Well, I want to play because I am excited for the game" who get in, find one part of the game that just really gets its teeth into them, and then soon they're writing FAQs or organizing sections of the beta testing forum or whatever.

For instance, with SWTOR, I will readily admit that I was really mostly interested in the beta because I wanted to play the game. Once I got in, however, for whatever reason the technical issues around the launcher became my particular bone to gnaw on. I tracked down dozens of system conflicts, put together a giant FAQ on troubleshooting the launcher/patcher… I just about lived in the Technical Support portion of the forum. I actually got thank you mails from several of the BioWare customer support folks.

If I had answered such a survey honestly about my initial intent, I would not have been there to help with that.

Heck, going into the WildStar beta, I was eager to sit down and play it and find some bugs, but instead I got completely sidelined into addons. (Because ADDONS. \o/) I have submitted less bug reports than I would've expected. On the other hand, I've generated thousands of pages of posts, emails and such on addons, as well as general FAQs in the beta forum, etc.
  8. Lidewyn

Lidewyn New Cupcake

people on sharewildstar that are giving away beta keys have said they are doing so because they got multiple keys from having multiple accounts that applied hence they didnt seem to get caught by wildstar when submitting multiple times for beta
    Eliat_kuni likes this.
  9. Lidewyn

Lidewyn New Cupcake

Also doesnt take a genius or a ton of IT skills to find bugs and report them and believe it or not regular gamers do report these things because they get on our nerves was just playing neverwinter and there were tons of things i would love to report or have changed but with that game its not even worth reporting. When you play games for a long time bad design is glaring ,and bugs drive you crazy.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

If you were a Beta tester you should always be able to enter a ''new'' Beta.

If you were a stress-tester, then bad luck and you'll have to wait till you get a REAL beta key.

Also this isn't the real beta forum so don't disclose any Beta info, not even that you were in a past Beta.
    You are violating the Beta rules......have you read the NDA? (a tip, it's in the mail that you got in your first Beta)
  11. Dulu

Dulu New Cupcake

Asking a question like this isn't violating the NDA, which I've actually read.

<Mod Tail>
    You did break NDA.
    You have been warned. Do not break NDA.
    </Mod Tail>
  12. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

How do these people get invites...
    Graylight and Extatica like this.
  13. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

You do know that IF you are a Beta-tester that you can ALWAYS see when the servers are open on the BETA FORUM.

This is a fan forum!!! Check the BETA FORUM!

And please don't ask me to shut up when you are asking a lame question (hence the reply of Drokk).
    Graylight likes this.
  14. Taher

Taher Cupcake

Damn Chua. Always going OTT.
  15. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Comon you must admit that someone who has been beta should know this by now :p

fan forum < Beta forum

No mercy for people who only play and don't read! :sneaky:
  16. Taher

Taher Cupcake

TY, but i'm pretty sure the other person in this convo is in beta lol.
  17. Gardavil

Gardavil Cupcake

I had to edit this some, but now it's ready...

In regard to orange comments that did not continue here...

Your first reply... I stand by my statement about surveying and listening to mostly those who play the MMO and not those who leave. ( I should say my comments was for MMOs in general, for I have almost no knowledge of how Carbine does business on this, for I am not in beta and have no inside information.) Some data is useful form the Leavers yes, but focus on those who stay. I have been a player of a couple MMOs that cared more for the Leavers than those who stayed, and the MMO gets changed because of it, and then those who stayed aren't happy either. That is why I see the practice of worrying too much about exit surveys as dangerous... IF the Dev Team puts more weight into the Leaver's opinions than the remaining Player's opinions. Make the MMO for those who tried it and liked it, for there will always be those who don't. Every MMO has had Players that could not, or would not, be satisfied.

Yes learn from those who left but don't dwell on it as other MMOs do. Some MMOs are so worried about getting players back that left they will do almost anything it seems. I don't want to see that happen to WildStar, even if I am one of those who try it and leave. Let WildStar be for those who enjoy it according to the vision of the Devs who made it.

Second reply...same as above, for the it was related to above paragraph.

I guess we disagree on this one. I respect your opinion.

Third... yes we agree. Nice when that happens :)

Lastly... my comments there were mostly in general after seeing many MMOs not pay attention to how many Players tried to abuse the beta invite system. My comments are born of frustration with the genre itself more so than with Carbine and WildStar. I am glad to be informed that Carbine is doing as much as practical to try to stop this nonsense cold. There is no perfect system but Carbine you say is trying it's best. Bravo and +1 for Carbine from me.
  18. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

<Mod Tail>
    Please respect Carbine's NDA. If you break NDA, you will be banned from here and reported to Carbine.
    Even talking about being in Beta/Stress Test is breaking NDA.
    </Mod Tail>
  19. Old Gregg

Old Gregg New Cupcake

So how exactly do i sign up for the beta?

I made an account and tried to add wildstar to my account and it keeps asking me to put in a code?
  20. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

the code is if you get into beta (they give you a code to put in there!) - go to wildstar-online.com and click "apply to beta"
    RavenWind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.