The Female Draken Thread (images, specualtion, discussion, blood wine with a side of fresh meat)

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Jynetik, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

[​IMG]
    - Six Month Update -
    Alright guys nearly 30,000 hits and 400+ posts in just a few months is incredible, thanks for all the support. However with all that activity this thread has become a bit... big, and no one should have to sift through 20+ pages of posts just to find the specific information that they are after. To remedy this I have added a quick link section that highlights major posts so that users can find the most juicy Draken bits with ease. I have also done some much needed work on the "What we know so far" section to bring it up do date.​
    Hopefully with these changes the Female Draken Thread will become a bit easier to use and an even better asset to the Wildstar Community.​
    - Jynetik​
    --- --- ---​
    Quick Links:
    Hey there guys, added a bunch of links to various important bits of this now massive thread. These are posts that I have deemed to be of some importance however overall there are very few posts in this thread that are not worth reading so I encourage you to check them all out if you get the chance.​
    Video Breakdowns
    NPC Reveal Breakdown
    Speculation & Discussion
    Female Draken VO
    Little Huntress Fan Comics
    Female Draken Fan Art
    Odds & Ends
    Preface:

To say that I am excited for WildStar is an understatement of the highest order. One of the things that has excited me the most is Carbine's selection of playable races. From large hulking rock people to robots to bunny people (or cat people, or bat people, or butterfly people) Carbine has certainly set itself apart from other recent MMO offerings with a diverse array of races each with their own fun flavor and style. Thanks to carbine's video offerings, and convention shows we have a lot of good information about most of the races and lots of images and video to pour over to get a peek at what our future characters may look like.

Purpose:

In this thread I would like to create a place to discuss, share, and speculate on one of the least shown character combinations; the female Draken. We have seen a ton of the male Draken, we have an interview with the great "Khuvor", and we have seen some, but not all of the male Draken character creation options. However for all the attention the Draken have gotten we have yet to see much of the female Draken.​

Now I know what you may be thinking "But Jynetik! We know just as little about the female Granok, or the male Aurin!" Well yes, that is true, naturally I am a little biased, I think the Draken are unbelievably cool, part dragon, part demon, part saytr, with a touch of eastern barbarism, and a dash of klingon. Draken are an interesting group and make for a neat foil to the pompous Cassians and the rigid Mechari. The female Granok and the male Aurin enthusiasts (weirdos) will just have to get along with their own threads, I want to keep this thread narrow in focus and hopefully as more information comes out it will become a place for good Draken discussion on all topics such as:​

- 101 ways to decorate your war hut to impress fellow Draken and terrify your neighbors

- It's summer in Deradune what styles are hot, and what styles will get you killed by rival clans

- Need to hunt down a date for the next blood feast? Here are 12 top tips.

Goals:

Ideally I'd want this thread to be part info dump for all things Draken related, and a good place for Draken discussion, things like Role Playing, Housing, Future Development, Draken Politics, etc...​

--- --- ---​

With that out of the way I'm going to go ahead and get this thread started, for those of you still reading this thank you!​

What we know so far:

Lore
    The Draken are a race of renowned hunters and warriors from the planet Mikros, not a very nice place. They joined the Dominion after their leader High Clanlord Zhur was bested in one on one combat by the Dominion's Azrion the Conqueror. The Draken swore loyalty and became the Dominion's all purpose shock-troops and military leaders, which is pretty much how things sit today. The Draken are primarily a patriarchal society with various clans being led by a Clanlord. Clan lords are exclusively male, weather that is due to tradition, or just female Draken being unable to out-muscle their male peers for control of the clan is unkown (thanks to InnocentCivilian for this find). Female Draken are also often seen as "Huntresses" which appear to be a kind of higher-status game warden out on the plains of Deradune, a position of respect and some authority. Outside of Draken society the presence of female Draken is unclear. How many female Draken if any are part of the Dominion military leadership is unknown.​
    It has also been shown that female Draken can be necromancers / sorceresses of some variety utilizing the Draken's magical connection with their ancestor's spirits.​
    Appearance
    The average female Draken is a two-meter tall humanoid covered in scales and tough skin that varies in color and texture across their lean, powerful bodies. They have long powerful tails, clawed feet and hands, pointed ears and a mouth full of sharp teeth. Like the males of the species the female Draken have a heavy set of horns that can grow to a wide variety of lengths and shapes with many different surfaces. Unlike the male Draken the females of the species stand fully upright and are also noticeably leaner, a clear display of sexual dimorphism.​
    [​IMG]

We see female Draken in-game in only a few instances. In Deradune there are female Draken NPCs,​
    some are quest givers, there are a few standing around inside the main building possibly as guards but most likely it's some kind of harem set-up (would love clarification on this). Out on the plains of Deradune are a few Huntresses that players can interact with, and there are a few female Draken NPCs in flight suits that operate some small ships in the area.​

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Female Draken have appeared in a number of videos, most notably in the Paths video, and nearly all of the Dev Speak videos. In these videos we have seen female Draken with a wide range of skin colors, horn styles, and hair styles. However we have only seen a small sample of options compared to their male counterparts so there are lots of surprises in store for us in the future.​
    [​IMG]

As far as female Draken character creation options we can assume a few things:​

- Female Draken have a wide array of skin colors including green, red, and white and likely share all skin colors with the males, so whatever the males have the females probably have as well.​
    - Female Draken have at least 1 skin pattern (stripes) possibly more.​
    - This piece of concept art showcases some horn styles we might expect to see in-game, many of these have been spotted already.​
    - Male Draken have a wide array of face options that drastically differ from one to the other, it is likely that Carbine will continue this trend with the female face options.​
    - Female Draken, like the males will only have 1 eye color "scary-awesome green"
    - Female Draken can have a variety of eye colors including "scary-awesome green" and an icy blue.​
    - Character creation options will include: Face Style, Skin Color (possibly skin pattern?), Hair Style, Hair Color, Horn Style, and a mystery option unless Carbine decides to go Tolkien dwarf style and give female Draken facial hair options.​

Well that's all I've got what do you guys think?

This is the point where I open it up to you guys to contribute. Got any images that aren't already linked or posted? Feel free to share. Got any questions, criticisms, or funny jokes? Let's hear it. Want to discuss the Draken? Throw something out there.

--- --- ---​

Again if you're still reading this thank you so much, I am so excited for this game and I am really looking forward to seeing how great this game and this already fantastic community can grow in the future.

- Jynetik
    AriaRae, Ysme, Irullan and 20 others like this.
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

[​IMG]

female draken horns concept art.
    Nearo, MassFragg, WildHawk and 4 others like this.
  3. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Female Drakens have titles like Huntress, Game Huntress (bunch of these), Acolyte, and Apprentice. Maybe all of those are related?

Haven't spotted any Masters, (High) Clanlords or Bloodshamans amongst the females yet. Politics...
    Jynetik likes this.
  4. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Nice thread, thanks for making it! :) The only tidbit that I know of which may be helpful for potential Draken players is this tweet from Chad on Surnames.

https://twitter.com/Pappylicious/status/313079446557044736
    Nearo and Jynetik like this.
  5. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Cool tidbit, and thanks for the positive feedback on the thread, my first.
    Kurik likes this.
  6. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

No problem, I'm looking forward to seeing how this thread progresses as the Draken are my favorite race. :) A few other posters here have expressed their concerns about the facial options for the Draken females, hoping that they will also have access to the more "beast" like features.
    Nimiar likes this.
  7. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I think it is more likely than not that we will get some pretty scary and beastly female Draken. The reason I think this is two fold:

- Carbine intentionally made humans playable on both factions in order to offer player a "safe" choice when creating a character. In MMO speak "safe" can also translate to "pretty" as most people (not all) tend to prefer to create pretty characters, especially female characters (not so many female dwarves in WoW).

- Variety is a core design goal expressed by the Carbine art team.

With these two things in mind what you wind up with is a Dominion faction that already has a lot of it's "pretty" quota filled by the Cassians, and an art team that has shown time and again that they want to give players a lot of different choices. So I think it is pretty likely that we will get some pretty cool looking female Draken.

I still think that we are likely to have a little bit more tame faces on the females than the males, and I kind of doubt we will see a direct female version of this. But I still think that the female Draken are going to prove to be just as cunning, brutal, and ferocious looking as their male counterparts.
    Kurik likes this.
  8. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

BAHAHAHAHAHAH!
    Jynetik likes this.
  9. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Carbine should transfer at least one race from Dominion to Exiles otherwise the hippy faction will be severely underpopulated as their races, imo, suck in the looks department.
  10. Rai

Rai Cupcake-About-Town

For one, the 'hippy'.. faction has way cooler races imo. And while two remaining races have to be announced still, transferring a race? Is that constructive criticism?
  11. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Have you seen that aurin thread with 3500+ hits? I wouldn't worry about the exiles they have plenty of fans. I happen to like the exile races, humans are pretty bland I'll give you that, but the granok are fantastic and I love their personality. The Aurin are neat and I really hope that they end up being sexually dimorphic with the females being bigger than the males because I think that would be an MMO first. Also whatever exile race is sleeping in that crazy space coffin is bound to be pretty awesome. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to welcome the (probable) mogwai into the Dominion fold but the Exiles are pretty set.
  12. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

While the other 2 races haven't been officially announced, from lots of materials from the game and art it's obvious what the last races are.
    Exiles: something that looks like an undead. Even the image in your sig presents a clue, check out the 1st arm on the left, it's a half rotten forearm in a transparent container filled with liquid and shaped like an arm.
    Dominion: a small furry gremlin thingie.
  13. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Yes - Draken females can climb up to at least as high a rank as Clanlord. :)

From the Massively article which derives information from an exclusive interview with Chad Moore:

So there you go :p. Mainly male, but I wouldn't think it especially unusual for a female to be at the Clan Lord. By extension, I'd like to think that a female could be High Clan Lord, since I feel that the idea behind the Draken is that even though they are a patriarchal society by tradition, they respect anyone with the strength and the viciousness to make it to the top, male or female. ^_^

Another interesting thing to note is that in Deradune, they specifically mention 'huntresses' out in the savannah who you need to impress to increase your reputation. It makes me think that female Draken, like real-life lionesses, have a special place with regards to hunting and society. Female Draken are possibly really respected as awesome hunters.
  14. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

The amount of awesomeness in this community never ceases to amaze.

Yes, female Draken are extremely underrepresented. Yes, I would love to know much more about them, especially their role in child-raising--are those "mammalian features" (credit to EldritchSandwich) just for show and attraction, or do they have a similar function to us humans? And yes, female Draken are smoking hot; than they can effortlessly tear me to pieces only makes the attraction stronger.
    Fate Flyer and Jynetik like this.
  15. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

16. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I must have missed that interview, thank you for bringing it up here. I'll amend my first post with this. As for the huntresses I agree, I think it shows that there is a lot of respect for the female members of the Draken species and they probably are just as effective as hunters as the males by the look of things.

Thank you! I tried my hardest to make this thread compelling, fun, and interesting thank you for the positive feedback.

We are discussing female Draken, as well as other topics in the near future, such as how to properly cook granok.
  17. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

This thread is just bursting with heaps of cool. :D Thank you for putting this all together, Jynetik. (By the way - what an awesome username!)

Everything that I know of has already been contributed. The only thing I really had extra was what Kurik mentioned, haha. :p So, well done, folks! All I can say at this point is: I envy the female Drakens' sexy badassery!

Although, I guess I can say, as much as I do love the female Drakens, it's the males that really pull me in to the race. I really love monsterous races, like the Worgens in WoW or the Charr in GW2. Anything very animalistic and beastly I'm attracted too, and normally that is the male of the species. So, I am definitely planning on rolling a big, scary, powerful male Draken. :inlove: Sorry, females!
    mockingfox and Jynetik like this.
  18. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Oh you won't get any argument here, male Draken are awesome, even at their goofiest. Yeah unfortunately there just isn't a lot of female Draken info out right now, which is part of the reason this thread works. Hopefully that will change in the near future and until then there are still plenty of things to speculate on such as:

If your starter home came with a toilet would your Draken know what to do with it?

(also thanks for the name complement, I like yours as well, very cool!)
    Fate Flyer, Kurik and Evion like this.
  19. Nightsong

Nightsong Cupcake-About-Town

No... our tails would interfere with the proper functioning of the toilet.

Well, unless the toilet was specifically designed to accomodate Draken tails...
  20. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Oh, you mean the Ceramic Chalice of Unending Water? ;)