1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Female Draken Thread (images, specualtion, discussion, blood wine with a side of fresh meat)

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Jynetik, Apr 2, 2013.

1. TehTic

TehTic Cupcake

Very nice post thank you. Looking quite evil though reminds me of my ex.
    OmniStorm, Kataryna and Jynetik like this.
  2. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Female draken really making a case for a WoW/Wildstar crossover fanfic "Brides of Illidan"
  3. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Oh, hey, look what I found: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/25/massively-exclusive-a-closer-look-at-wildstars-draken/
    Forge Darksteel likes this.
  4. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I think there's another side to them, they've been under the Dominion banner for a very long time but seem happy to be a part of it. I feel there has to be something besides the thrill of the kill which drives them.
    Jynetik likes this.
  5. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

6. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

Hmmmm, this looks as good a place as any to put this...

[​IMG]

*Scampers off*
  7. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

Draken don't have wings or hooves, so I don't really see the resemblance to succubi. They remind me more of Satyxis, really.
  8. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Yep, I agree. They're somewhat more like satyrs, but with a demonic/reptilian-like twist.

For unnecessary reference, check out these sexy satyrs:

[​IMG]
    :D

I kind of saw the Draken as a humanoid dinosaur mixed with a lizard (and yes, those are two separate things ;)).

They actually also remind me quite a bit of the reptilian aliens (which is also known as a Draco, Mothman, reptoids, Alpha-Draconians etc.), said to either come from the Draco constellation or were Earth's first sentient inhabitants, which is why they sometimes have adopted the name Terrans. (And yes, people actually believe this stuff. I did a lot of research into supposed alien species for my fictional story I've been working on. ^_~) Some of them have wings, while others don't. Some are described as having tails, but most are tailless. They are said to have ridges above their eyes that give them the appearance of big eyebrows, but they're actually said to be small horns. Supposedly, the highest in their hierarchy have pure white scales. I find this weird conspiracy stuff so fascinating. :roflamo: In my story, I describe the originals of the species being called the Draco, with the white ones being the Draco Prime. The others are subraces, made by crossbreeding/hybridization. The Reptoids are reptile-humans, while the Reptilians were reptile-aliens (or a mix of a Draco and a Grey alien).
  9. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Hey guys, just a heads-up that the information in the Massively article (which allegedly gets their info from Chad Moore) is incorrect.

Curious about whether or not Draken females could be High Clan Lords, I asked Chad Moore that question on Twitter. He asked where I heard that they could be Clan Lords, and so I linked him to the Massively article, to which he responded that Clan Lords have, in fact, been exclusively male up to this point.

Quote from Massively article:

*New* Quote from Chad Moore https://twitter.com/Pappylicious/status/319965469215965186 :
    [​IMG]

So there you have it, guys! Draken aren't equal-opportunity badasses, but I've got a feeling that their females still play an important and badass role in their society. :p
    Trigger and Jynetik like this.
  10. Fate Flyer

Aww, that's too bad, Innocent! But thank you for clarifying that for us! I guess I can see that kind of making sense in the Draken lore. It was the same with the Predators/Yautja I believe. (From Memory) The females stayed home and raised the young while the males were the hunters.
    Bloodraptor likes this.
  11. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think females necessarily have such a tame role. It makes sense that it's a patriarchal society since males are stronger physically and is a big thing in their culture it would seem. That said, females are still Draken in all their savage ways, maybe they can't get the leading positions, but they are still more than capable and willing to rip other lesser species to bits.
    Lions were mentioned, and I think that's a good parallel. It could be that overall females make a crucial part of their society, even in the war, but individually they do not have the power to come on top. So far.
    This would go hand in hand with a more individualistic and self-absorbed idea of Draken, imo.
  12. Fate Flyer

That's interesting, because I actually thought of lions, but I dismissed that thought, since in a pride, the females are the hunters and the males pretty much do nothing but lay around all day and mate. :p Beyond that, the most it seems they do is patrol their territory and protect it from invaders. Thank you Big Cat Diary. :inlove: Although I can see where the Draken females could play an equally important role in their society as well. I doubt they're just there as breeders.
    Kurik, Jynetik and InnocentCivilian like this.
  13. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think that males as a whole just prance around and do nothing, although I'm sure certain individuals do (good RP idea).
    I see Draken society as quite competitive, and I'm sure you have to prove yourself often enough.
  14. Immaculata

Immaculata Cupcake

Ahh I do enjoy when the help gets a sense of pride ^.^ Nice to see you have direction. I look forward to working with you - Ms M
    Kurik likes this.
  15. InnocentCivilian

This is what I'm currently thinking as well, guys :p.

I mean, I don't think it's coincidence that all the hunters we have to impress in Deradune are female - the dialogue is even specifically written and VO recorded as 'Huntresses', not 'Hunters' :p. Draken females possibly do a good share of the hunting while the males do more of what constitutes as the 'running' of their society (although I'm pretty sure that any Draken worth their beans would rather be out in the world actually KILLING stuff). ;)

Even the Draken NPCs in town talk about how they want to go hunting once their guard duty shift is over. :D
  16. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

The design vibe I get from the Draken is that they are an amalgamation of various bestial traits and some mythological archetypes. The problem with coming up with new MMO races is that all of the low-hanging fruit has been picked already. We have orcs, eighty kinds of elves, trolls, cat people, rat people, lizard people, minotaurs, satyrs, demons, etc... At this point developers have to get creative. The Charr are a decent example, even if they are basically Kilrathi (wing commander reference yay!) with horns. Same goes for the Asura which is a new spin on your typical goblin / gnome. The reason you see satyr brought up so much is that as far as humanoids with long curved horns go they are by far the most prevalent. I'll agree that the horns are basically the only trait that the Draken share with satyrs, but it's still a fair comparison. I honestly don't get a super-strong reptile or lizard vibe from the Draken, they are not overtly scaly, there is no forked tongue action going on, they have hair as well as strong mammalian features and an utter lack of any kind of a elongated skull. My best guess is that they are humanoid (meaning human design base) dragon-lions lol. It's a weird species that is appropriately vague in description which helps keep them exotic and fresh.

Innocent, you are a true asset to this thread and I love you.

That really sucks tho lol. I was really enjoying the notion that the Draken while typically patriarchal view individual strength, cunning, and ruthlessness as more important traits for leadership. Oh well, hopefully we still have more to learn on this subject and maybe one day Mr. Moore will pay this thread a visit and allow me to lavish him in praise and deep probing questions.

From what we have seen of Deradune that isn't all too incorrect of an analogy. We have that clan lord who just sits on his butt in the main building with his (assumed) harem. We have some male Draken squatting elsewhere in the village, and there are some male Draken running the skull pile. The active Draken that are out and about on the plains of Deradune are almost exclusively female.

Play with your silly words as much as you like, just provide me with enemies to fight for I desire to test my skills, and grow my reputation.
    Zilvoran, Immaculata, Kurik and 3 others like this.
  17. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

You guys in the mood for some original content?

[​IMG]

Alright guys, enjoy, I spent my whole Friday doing this, totally exhausted, ill be back to chat in ~ 8 hours lol.
    AriaRae, Ianpact, OmniStorm and 18 others like this.
  18. Fate Flyer

Oh. My. Gosh!!! :laugh:

That is so awesome! Jynetik, you are so incredibly talented! I thought the logo for this thread was epic enough on its own! Then you go and make this badass comic? Seriously, well done! The poor little huntress's face when she finds out she can't be a clan lord. :( But day-um! That last panel of her is so incredible! Only a Draken - correction, a female Draken - can weild two GIANT swords!
    Jynetik, Kurik and InnocentCivilian like this.
  19. InnocentCivilian

That's AWESOME, Jynetik! Oh my goodness! :inlove: Your sense of pacing is really great! Short, but really well-told ^_____^

I love how cute the tale is, and how whimsical a sliced-in-half Aurin doll can look! :laugh:

I'm gonna have to echo Fate Flyer - that look on the little Draken's face when she discovered she can't be a Clan Lord! :cry:

But srsly, stuff like this is the reason why female Draken is best Draken. If/when I play a Draken, you can bet it's gonna be a female one. :inlove:
    Jynetik, Kurik and Fate Flyer like this.
  20. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I'm on my work phone right now so it's not the best viewing experience but even then I'm just amazed, awesome job Jynetik! :) Even though I'm going male Draken your drawing still inspires, thanks for taking the time to draw it.
    Jynetik and Immaculata like this.