1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Female Draken Thread (images, specualtion, discussion, blood wine with a side of fresh meat)

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Jynetik, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Immaculata

Immaculata Cupcake

A few well placed inquiries, personell and accidental deaths can lead to opportunities for a would be Matriarch. My people will be in touch. - Ms M

Edited to add: Loved the story! ^.^
    Jynetik and Fate Flyer like this.
  2. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

Very cute Jynetik, and good panels.
    Jynetik likes this.
  3. Forge Darksteel

Forge Darksteel Cupcake

Awe, thanks for the comic, Jynetik! Well done! :)
    Jynetik likes this.
  4. Xandita

Xandita Cupcake

I like that comic. It wouldn't be too farfetched to believe they have some similarities to lions. Female Draken are still pretty feral, I certainly wouldn't want to run into one in a dark alley, so they could certainly be the hunters of the clan, which I'm fine with. Drakens don't seem to be the type to think their females are anything close to weak.
    Jynetik likes this.
  5. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

I imagine you're spot on, I bet the females do all the hard work, and the males just sit around telling everyone what to do.

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong female Draken ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝
    Trigger, Forge Darksteel and Jynetik like this.
  6. Brenner

Brenner Cupcake-About-Town

I think I may have died a little from all the cuteness
    Jynetik likes this.
  7. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

That was really cute. Thanks.
    Jynetik likes this.
  8. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Wow, this thread is win.
    Jynetik likes this.
  9. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I couldn't possibly respond to each one of you guys and express my gratitude enough for your kind words so instead this will have to do.

Thank you so much, reading your reactions has made the whole thing worth it 10x over and I am so happy that you like it. Truth be told I didn't really know how you guys would react. This is my first ever comic-thing of any variety, I've never drawn children before, and I've never tried to really instill any kind of emotion into any of my work. Judging from the reactions I am seeing it appears that I did something right.

This thread has been active for just under 4 days at this point and it's already been viewed well over 1,000 times with many constructive posts. I am so thrilled by the reaction so far and this is just the beginning, you can expect more great things from "The Female Draken Thread" in the days, weeks, and months to come.

So again, thank you guys so much, it's because of you that this thread is, and will continue to be such a great place.

- Jynetik
  10. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Hehe, you're awesome Jynetik. XD

Gonna make a contribution with this: I collected female Draken voiceovers from fryedegg's playthroughs and edited them into a single video for your listening convenience. :p (there are a couple of repeats, but whatevs :p)

Female Draken sound pretty rad. :laugh: Even through the cam-recorded sound quality. :p

Yakzan, Kurik and Jynetik like this.
  11. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Thanks for this! I had caught snippets of the voice overs in other videos but never had them back to back like this, really helps paint a better picture of how they sound, which is best described as "awesome".
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  12. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Thanks for making that, Innocent! In this video, the voice which starts at 1:25 sounds Draken as well.

Jynetik and InnocentCivilian like this.
  13. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

WHAT. How have I not seen this video?? I thought I watched everything. #InnocentCivilianFail

Yes, that does sound like a female Draken as she would sound in-game and not through cam-recorded sound. ^____^

She also sounds like she wants you to succeed where she failed. :O

EDIT: Might I also just add that I really, really love that female Draken sound so regal in contrast to their savage nature; whereas with male Draken, you pretty much get savage-sounding, savage-looking guys; which is totally cool too, I just find that juxtaposition pretty neat. ^___^
    Jynetik and Kurik like this.
  14. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

No worries, this video was overshadowed by another one I think. I love how the female Draken sound as well, maybe we can get Chad to tell us the name of the voice actor. :)
    InnocentCivilian and Jynetik like this.
  15. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

The female Draken voices make me think of feline predators - something smooth, dark, mysterious and dangerous. It's a voice you expect to slide up silently behind you in a shadowy jungle and then eviscerate you before you have a chance to do more than gurgle.

Now we need a Wildstar re-enactment of the Raptor hunting scene from Jurassic Park. "Clever girl..."

Also, Jynetik, fantastic comic! I'm especially impressed that you were able to finish all of it in one day. :D
  16. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Yeah I get a similar image when hearing that voice, I like it, its a nice mix of deadly, cold, and alluring.

Thank you for the kind words on the comic. When I said that I made it in 1 day I literally mean that, I started working on it around 5pm on Friday after all that discussion about the Chad Moore tweet, and I finished it around 6am on Saturday. so ~13 straight hours, burned through a whole nib on my intuos stylus.
  17. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Alright guys time for a speculation post, instead of tackling something a bit more esoteric, such as...
    The Draken vs. Indoor Plumbing II: Attack of the Bidet
    I thought it might be nice to discuss something game related instead; female draken character creation. I've put together a post on this topic that explores what we know about Draken character creation. I gathered some examples of various character creation options (or importantly lack there of) in-game at present, and I grabbed a few pieces of concept art to talk about.

Introduction:

So let's go ahead and dive right into it. At PAX EAST we were given a fantastic look into male Draken character creation which in turn gives us a sneak peek into female character creation. This video provided by the magnifican Zap gives us the following image as well as a bunch of good information about how female Draken character creation will work. There is a lot of room for speculation but thanks to Zap we have a good foundation to work from so without further ado...

What we know:

[​IMG]

From the PAX EAST video we know that (at present) the Draken have six different character creation options, the same number as the Cassians and the Mechari, that could change in the future which I will explore a bit later. The six character creation options available to male Draken are: Face Style, Skin Color, Hair Style, Hair Color, Facial Hair Style, and Horn Style. The female Draken are guaranteed to share all of these options, likely with a similar range of options with one exception, facial hair style. The reason for this is pretty obvious, women don't often have facial hair (except for Tolkien dwarves and other rare exceptions) and most players would be opposed to female facial hair options.So that begs the question with five of the options shared between the male and female Draken what will be the sixth character creation option?

What the sixth character creation option isn't:

From the PAX EAST video we can go ahead and rule out some possible character creation options that would seem likely.

Ears - The video clearly shows that the ear options are tied to the face option (which is unfortunate) which rules it out as a character creation option.

Skin Pattern - Again tied to the face option (why) which also rules it out as a character creation option.

Eye Color - The Draken as a species only have one eye color "scary awesome green."

Horn Color - From the concept art for both genders as it appears that the Draken only have a single horn color.

Any kind of body option (boob slider) - Carbine has stated that they will not be giving players the option to modify the body shape of their characters in order to maintain strong silhouettes for the various races and genders.

With all of these options out of the way I present to you my best guess as to what the sixth character creation option for the female Draken will be:

The sixth option:

[​IMG]

Here is where things get really speculative. We have scant few images of the female Draken to work with, and that includes concept art. Of the three pieces of concept art that we currently have access to (this piece isn't relevant to the discussion) two of them give us a possible hint at a sixth character creation option: Jewlery. In the example above you can clearly see two female draken renderings, each sporting a pair of large hoop earrings. While this may seem pretty obvious and I could close the case right now there are some problems with this theory.

1. The Draken are not terribly prone to engaging in the niceties of life and excess is not something that the Draken seem to pay much attention to at all, this would include pointless body decoration.

2. The Draken are fierce warriors and hunters and large hoop earings are an easy way to injure yourself in battle and are again contrary to what the Draken are all about.

3. Concept art is used mostly for inspiration and design language and often isn't representative of the final in-game design.

4. In the PAX EAST video we can see that the male Draken also have earrings, however they seem to be largely the same, and are part of the face-type option, not a separate option.

5. We do not see any instance of Jewlery on the in-game female Draken models as seen in the image below.

The last problem I mentioned has it's own problem that you can also see in the image below. Nearly all of the female Draken that are in Deradune share the same model, same hairstyle, same horns, same skin color, etc... This is a problem because if Jewelry was an option it is possible that it was simply turned off when Deradune was populated with these NPCs, which would render the last problem moot and put Jewlery back on the table as a character creation option.

[​IMG]

My thoughts on the likely sixth option:

I am honestly a bit conflicted on the prospect of jewlery being the sixth option. As mentioned above jewlery would seem to conflict with what we know about the Draken and the way they see the world. As well it presents a number of issues with immersion. Just like some games strap their female characters in high heels and send them into battle the idea of going into battle with the #1 threat to earlobe integrity (hoop eartings) seems preposterous. If instead the sixth option is some mystery and earrings are part of the face options then I feel that would be quite frustrating for a lot of players. What if you want face B over face A, but face B has big dumb earrings permanently stuck to it?

If jewlery is in fact the sixth character creation option my hope is that we have options for either no earrings, or very small earrings, or some other kinds of jewlery such as nose-rings (I think a draken with a septum piercing would be pretty cool, but that's just me), eyebrow piercings, lip piercings, etc... However I would still want to have some kind of lore reassurance that this is something that the Draken are into.

That's all I've got for now:

Anyway that's all I've got for this post. I am eager to hear what you guys think, does my speculation and analysis hold up? Do you guys know something that I don't know? What do you guys think Carbine has in store for female Draken character creation and what would you like to see?
  18. Graff (FLB)

Graff (FLB) Cupcake-About-Town

My face when I saw these videos:
    <Admin Hat> Inappropriate Image Redacted </Admin Hat>
  19. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

It will definitely be interesting to see if jewelry will be the sixth option or rather tied to certain faces and such. I'm hoping that we will have actual cosmetic slots for jewelry. That being said, I think a piercings option with sliders for different combinations would be pretty cool. I'm with you on getting some lore to back it up as well since most if not all male Draken I've seen have earrings.
    Jynetik likes this.
  20. Scelestic

Scelestic Cupcake

Cosmetic Slots for actually visible jewelry would be interesting, and quite neat!
    Jynetik likes this.