1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Oceanic Playerbase!

Discussion in 'Personal Introductions' started by Zel, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zel

Zel Cupcake

SO! Not really an introduction OR a guild thread, but i think it belongs here...

Just wondering how much interest Wildstar is getting from the oceanic region. Having played many MMOs, i know how hard it can be living in australia and playing on US time. It means LFG when no-one else is on, and getting up at 6am in order to enjoy raid content...

I mean, it has positives; Not so much competition for those pesky quest mobs, and on PvP servers you're mostly left to your own devices in a gank/camp free environment...

But it's nice to know there'll be people on to enjoy the many facets of the game with you in your own peak play time.

I thought i'd also add to this and ask, what do you other Oceanic players find yourself doing to enjoy an MMO during the evening. when the server population is at a minimum?
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  2. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

When I didn't work full time my play schedule would be pretty similar to that of an Oceanic player on a US server. It was empty but also kind of peaceful. Anyways I wonder if Carbine will be going to Pax Australia. :)
  3. Zel

Zel Cupcake

All I can say is, I hope there's fishing. Haha. Ah, those late nights, empty server, empty vent except for the insomniacs and the baker...that's my Zen happy place ^_^
    Vinbrulè and Umbra like this.
  4. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, this was going to be one of my questions on the ArkShip thread. Would love to see some Oceanic support, it can be miserable coming from EU, especially for latency!
  5. Amabelle

Amabelle New Cupcake

I wonder if they'll try to have any oceanic based servers.
  6. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I hope so, if not hopefully the latency won't be to much of an issue with WildStar's servers. We have a couple oceanic members in the guild and want them to experience the game just as well as the other regions can. :)
  7. Amabelle

Amabelle New Cupcake

Yeah -- I can see why some games don't of course but it is one of those things that owuld be genuiniely nice ot have, it sounds silly but it does make a difference in PVE and PVP, especially if you're a melee based class.
  8. Zel

Zel Cupcake

I doubt servers physically located in Oceania somewhere, and an official oceanic server is unlikely, but maybe if we get enough of a representation we can at least get an unofficial oceanic server happening.

You're right though, PvP is a nightmare, and I forsee some PvE telegraph issues forming ><
  9. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Back in my WoW days, we had a Aussie main tank. He did very well considering the latency.
  10. Sanctus

Sanctus New Cupcake

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure there will be a decent oceanic community for the game, I doubt we will get our own servers but im sure we can come together and form a community on 1-2 US-W servers when game launches.

As the game gets closer to release I will most likely be forming a premier oceanic raiding guild as wildstar looks like it will promise a compelling end-game. So if that sounds like something you might be interested in then be sure to keep an eye out for me in the future!

Cant wait for this game to come out!
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  11. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Awesome, welcome to WSC! :)
  12. Zel

Zel Cupcake

Yeah, that's always fun!

Raid Leader: "Zel! get the adds!"
    Zel: "What adds!?"

bwahaha.

And don't even get me started on oceanic PvP! heugh. In WoW americans were rolling on oceanic servers just because they knew we couldn't win! It's so tragic it's hilarious.

And Welcome, Sanctus! i hope to see you around in game and out :)
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  13. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

I actually prefer unofficial oceanic servers as they tend to still get sufficient US populations. Being able to play at oceanic high pop times is nice for when I have the chance to play at those times but for commmited raiding high pop oceanic times are the worst possible time for me.
    Zelasaurus and Kurik Lein like this.
  14. Zel

Zel Cupcake

It almost naturally begs asking the question; Would an unofficial oceanic server be better off on a popular US server, or would it be better off finding it's own lower population server to establish itself on? We know your vote, Karl! And i agree with you...but what do others think?
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  15. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

Unfortunatly as nice as low ping is there are some very real problems with locally based servers. Now I know that Oceanic technically covers more but for the most part it is AU/NZ which while being 1st world english speaking nations have very small markets. And chances are any oceanic servers will likely be housed in AU and unfortunatly Telstra server hosting fees are ridiculously overpriced in comparison to pretty much anywhere else. The combination of these two things doesn't exactly make it a very viable bussiness prospect especially since at the end of the day sufficient numbers have proven that while they may not like it they will still put up with it. It probably doesn't help that the last big MMO outing that did provide local servers pretty much flopped.
  16. Zel

Zel Cupcake

Totally agree, we won't have servers here, and i'd never dream to ask! Us oceanics make do with what we have, and with a grin on your faces! After all, we're a bunch of islands, it's amazing get as much as we do :p hah!

But we can at least have unofficial servers and make pretend ^_^
  17. Freaky_Freak

Freaky_Freak New Cupcake

Omg is that Sanctus from WoW? i will def be keeping an eye out for updates from you...i def know what guild i want to be in!
  18. Anoteros

Anoteros Cupcake

Sorry for the necro but just had to post that i'm from Australia and eager to see just what Aussie/oceanic guilds and presence there is on these forums (even looking to start a not so serious, casual and laid back guild if there's interest :D )

HI!
  19. Classix

Classix Cupcake

Welcome and what not, I'd suggest making a topic of your own though ;)
  20. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Back during PAX East, I twittered Scooter and asked him, but he said that they don't have any plans to, since it's so far away :(.

Pity because I WOULD SO BE THERE. :cry: (EDIT: Whoops, I didn't realise this thread was necro'd haha :oops:)

In the MMOs in the evening, I just play through the content like I always do :p. Traditionally, I've tended to play MMOs solo (even though I like group content and play healers because of that, which seems paradoxical :p), So because I enjoy experiencing what I can solo and at my own pace, playing in the evenings when few people are online doesn't bother me much. :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.