1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Opinion: Running a guild.

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Avenged, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

The other option to the everyone in VOIP a majority of the time is setting yourself up to be a great community in forums. Although I love it when vent is active, I actually get way more of a kick from seeing 20-30 new posts a day in our guild forums. I think people are more willing to go in depth, like we are now, in a forum environment as well as opposed to in a group setting in vent. Not trivializing the importance, but just saying that there is a multiple ways to foster this. I guess the forum thing would be a little bit more old school since most voip programs didnt start getting massively used until 03-04
    Emmerich likes this.
  2. Avenged

My next. The Opinion: Is going to be on how to find a guild and be an effective member.
    Emmerich likes this.
  3. Cassp

Cassp Cupcake

I can't emphasize how important this part is. Most players are used to playing with not so exceptional players and they don't know what to to think, So every week I would make a pug run of half guild half pugs and we would just smash through content these people could never do even with their guilds and they would just scratch their heads. I can confidently say that is by far the easiest way to find spread the word of your guild and get decent members, you can test whether or not they suck and get them to realise that your guild does not suck in one go.

I can't stress enough how important attitude is, if you get the noobest nooby noob ever that has never played an mmo in his life and doesn't know a damn thing about anything, But all he wants to do is raid to kill bosses and have fun and just hang out in the group setting, that is like striking gold for recruitment.

For my guild the whole get loot by just turning up to raids was a mentality we stomped out quick-smart.
    We used loot council so people who put the most effort into their raiding as in most dps, bringing consumables, not dying constantly on top of the fact that we geared certain roles first. So where the attitude of not caring about loot comes in incredibly important for times when the content isn't particularly hard to heal, so tanks and healers simply don't need to be geared so we would gear out dps first, You will see that most top tier guilds do this. You can tell that healers at tanks that perform well bring consumables and put general effort in may not be the happiest of chaps, well attitude son, attitude. But as soon as all content was cleared it was back to evenly gearing everyone.

And for the ability part, well I'm of a strong belief that skill can be learned and you are not born with it, so if you are willing to learn and improve thats A okay.
  4. Mizpah

Mizpah Cupcake-About-Town

We don't raid to loot, we loot to raid :)

As such the guild gets to come first in all choices, we mix that in with DKP and loot council however - I will elaborate on that in my next post!
    Black Wolf and Malisent like this.
  5. Malisent

Malisent Cupcake-About-Town

:up::up::up: Absolutely love stressing.. come raid because you love to down bosses with a team.. not because you want cool loot.
    Deltre and Black Wolf like this.
  6. Maldwyn

Maldwyn Cupcake

I'm the same...I won't even join a guild that doesn't have a very active forum, and when my wife and I have run guilds we required it. Of course, we're both "old school", going back to a game (AC1) where not only was voice comm not used, but there wasn't even a guild chat function in game (we used IRC!)

I understand why so many people like voice comm for all guild events and times, but I'm old, and it would seriously cause me to start banging my head against a wall to have to listen to people on vent all the time!

Part of why this all matters so much...no guild is right for everyone, and no person can fit in every guild. Finding the right fit is so critical for both sides!

I'm the guy who does the interviews when we guild lead...and every interview I tell folks the same thing: in 12 years of playing MMOs I can remember many, many cool boss kills - times when we didn't think we'd get it, or when it took us SO long to learn a hard fight. But I couldn't tell you what I was wearing for ANY of them, and I couldn't tell you what dropped. Years from now you'll still remember fun times with great guildies...you won't remember or give a damn about the loot.
    Black Wolf likes this.
  7. Avenged

Going by your gamer tag I am guessing you didn't play on darktide! It's ok though I played on thistledown for the first month with all of my friends until I moved to Darktide solo. It was absolutely amazing. The most Notorious PK from AC btw, is actually considered the #1 mage in the world now in WoW. He was known as Blattos in AC1, and now he goes by Blatty from Method. He is still awesome to watch play, even for a frenchy =P
  8. Maldwyn

Maldwyn Cupcake

I played a little bit on Darktide, but yeah, it was too hardcore for me! Malisent and I played on Wintersebb
  9. Avenged

Awesome. To keep this on topic. How do you think the Patron / Vassal system would work on a next gen MMO like this. Do you think there were merits, or lessons that could be used in a modern day guild?
  10. Maldwyn

Maldwyn Cupcake

Oh, nice job reigning us in! *g*

I personally loved the patron/vassel system (and this is as someone who didn't bot or xp chain, so it wasn't like I was seeing huge numbers). But I'm not sure there's a way to make it work in today's gaming environment...I mean, part of why that worked was that the soft cap was 126 and the hard cap was what, 4 billion points in each ability or something ridiculous? :p

If it could be done though, I'd love to see it done again in a game. :)

I will say though, that I see the Settler path as an attempt to bring some of the p/v dynamic forward into today's game - reward folks for supporting their fellow players (which is something devs should want b/c it leads to stronger guilds, which keeps people in games longer).
  11. Avenged

I had to. I could talk for days about the AC glory days =P I agree though. A lot of the systems in place from "old school" gaming really do not survive in todays player base!
  12. Maldwyn

Maldwyn Cupcake

My wife and I actually got to talk to Jeremy Gaffney about AC1 for a bit at the Curse Party at Pax. I'm generally not one of those guys who gets worked about about "celebrities", but that was a serious life highlight for me. :D
  13. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

So true, so so true. I started playing hardcore to raid, but I ended up loving to play because of the people.
  14. Avenged

It happens in a good environment!
  15. TheJedi

TheJedi New Cupcake

As a gm for 5 years now.. I agree with much that has been said. Except one.
    elitist rude cancers harm Guilds long term. Some folks run guilds based on every tier of raiding.. So their goals are shortsighted. I built my guild long term based on a longterm community. A cancerous rude elitist snob will not help keep players in your guild long term. Because eventually that poison will wear your members patience thin and you will lose people.

Also How could a rude mean person.. really excite people.. to want to raid with them. No you dont' have to suffer divas or jerks to have a great team.

Maturity .. I Am a 39 year old man.. and I can tell you I have had experience of seeing.. a 60 year old throw a tantrum worse then some young teens in my guild. Instead what I have learned is that the guilds leadership and how they treat each other is what determines long term how the rest of your guild will treat each other.

Young members base their behavior on the movers and shakers of the guild. IF your leadership team is respectful of others .. and helpful.. More likely then that not those young members will emulate that behavior.

Reward those who help.. Do not reward those who are a blight.
    Darkace, Rumze, Yakzan and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mizpah

Mizpah Cupcake-About-Town

A great sentiment expressed in the Jedi's post above. From the Enigma perspective, how you are geared, and your 'experience' is irrelevant if you are not a good cultural fit.
    Yakzan likes this.
  17. Avenged

I stated this in the original post if you read it. I apologize if misread what you typed.

"It is harder to remover a great person from guild or raids that does not perform up to par with everyone else, then it is to remove a cancer that is best at their class."

By saying this I mean to say that it is easier to remove a cancerous member that is great at their class, then a model member who does poorly.
  18. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

19. Avenged

20. Steelheart

Steelheart Cupcake

Lotta good stuff here, and was definitely an interesting read for sure :)