1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Opinion: Running a guild.

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Avenged, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I love all those points and agree with most if not all of them.

Now to find a guild that will roll on an rp server that does all this.
  2. Mizpah

Mizpah Cupcake-About-Town

*waves*

What time zone are you in Rumze ? Enigma is not quite ready to reopen recruitment yet, I would rather have a release date, but we are about to get a sign-up going for people who may be interested.
  3. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

Everything but RP =P
  4. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I TL: DR'ed hard on this one (I'm at work, don't judge me!), the only thing I'd slightly disagree with is that you need an e-mail contact, I've bothered doing it before and barely saw any activity from prospective recruits or members, a forum PM system will see a lot more use, mainly because that functionality is all tied into one site :)
  5. Avenged

I apologize for my recent inactivity. I am currently in the works of rebuilding my guild =) When you look at the point of email/forum activity it is all about how you build your community in general. Coming from a time before voip services for guilds, you either communicated in game through chat or through forums. I am still a large fan of forum communities. To take an example of why it is so important you can look at two sites that were awesome for their time. In EQ you had FOHguild.com. A repository for nonsense, up and coming games, strategies, and general awesome. In the wow era their was elitistjerks.com. Now their were other great websites to go to for info, but people were drawn to these sites because they were community pieces, as well as great guild sites. Sites like WSC are awesome for general information on the game, but a guild site is even better because you have general info, as well as guild nonsense.

Now not everyone has access to email while they are not playing the game, but it is a real boon for people that have careers, or jobs where they can not play all day. It gives players that can only play during raid times a chance to participate more and feel more in touch with the pulse of the community.
  6. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I'd still stand beside my point that an e-mail contact isn't needed on this if you have a forum PM system. If someone has e-mail access whilst at their job the chances are they can access the guild website, at which point a good forum and PM system gives all the out of game comms anyone could ever want for! Outside of VoIP which may not be available at work ofc.
  7. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

It's pretty evident from the OP that this is focused on the most hardcore base. I'd like to generalize/simplify a few things for even social/medium content guilds can easily apply. I'm stating these because in an attempt to not write the Greater Works of Shakespeare things may seem harsh/rude. (I'm 99% sure, Avenged can poop on this if I make him seem like a jerk :D )

Reiterating points with modification/clarification:
    1. A guild website :D

2. A guild communication tool :D

3. A clear guild charter
    First clarification, if you're a social/non-hardcore guild, this can be more generic. It's still important to have a unifying purpose, i.e. Why am I hanging out with you instead of those other guys?

Second, it's important to point out what people are expected to contribute, but make sure to note what isn't needed, or talk about accommodations. Aka, I may be recently married, have kids, dead family and can't farm mats for hours on the days I'm not raiding. Am I fired? A lot of "Would-Be-Great raiders" get scared off because of overly harsh jargon thrown out by guilds trying to cover their butts for that 1% case of when someone's a Dbag. If that's your purpose, power to you. Just be aware of what it may say about the guild.
    Elitist != L33T

4. Recruitment
    Every guild has their own unique spin on what they want and how to get it. Again, there's a difference between being tedious and technocratic bull.

There can be a big difference between recruiting for a new[er] guild with few members and filling that one roster slot. Hey, why have any rules when there's no player incentive to jump through them yet? For the raiding guilds with the fancy charters, feel free to throw in Emergency Exception Clauses!

5. Delegation of Power
    Some hierarchies are strict, some loose. Some are bureaucracies, others dictatorships. There's no need to make it overbearing if there isn't a crazy need for enforcement. Either way, I agree it's very important for people to know who's who in case the need arises.

Everyone has either been in or more likely seen that guild who's power circle is a bunch of friends who promote that close-nit whiny kid over the raider who shows up week in and out. Along with the power tree have a clear pathway of how you can work hard to get there yourself if you so chose to try.

6. System of Reward
    This is pretty much the same as above. I like what the OP says about you may not get something soon and to be aware, but a lot of people just hear "no soup for you!" Make sure there's a clear path they can follow, even if it's long, so those would-be-raiders don't get discouraged.

7. Coaching
    Spot on, if your officers and raiders are dickbags it creates a negative atmosphere and noobies and oldbies alike will get pissed and leave. Every guild has that one dude who pisses on everything, but make it an exception, not the rule.

8. The hard decisions
    For a harcore guild this makes perfect sense, but this is the section that will vary the most, if exist at all, in guild management processes. It's all about maintaining a chill/fun/relaxed/what-have-you guild in the first place.
    Darkace likes this.
  8. Denied-a Wildstar Guild

Denied-a Wildstar Guild Cupcake

Good and informative posts, thanks. was worth the reading (even if it took time :) )
  9. Avenged

Necro with mod approval for exposure! Take it easy friends.
  10. Rabb

Rabb New Cupcake

Great thread guys. As someone preparing to start a new guild this has been an invaluable wealth of information. Most of it we already had covered but it has been reassuring to know we had it right.

I hope we see more discussions like this in the future.
  11. Darkace

Darkace Cupcake

Im not looking to start a guild myself but found this thread a good (but long) :) read. Thanks and good work to all you guys posting. Its most informative.

From my point of view when looking to join a guild the most important thing to me is the guild charter. The deeper and more comprehensive that is , the better. Whether I get an invite to join in game , stumble across or hunt down a guild to join the first thing I want to see is the Guild Charter.

Quite often on guild websites the guild charter is burried amongst other forums / sections / departments and is not always that quick to find. So I would suggest that if you have a Guild Website then give this Button or Link to the charter a bit of prominence and make it easy to find. It will save any prospective guilds mates a lot of time and trouble searching around the site just to find out its not going to work for them later.
  12. Mizpah

Mizpah Cupcake-About-Town

Glad it helped Dark!

I agree entirely with your comments about making the guild charter prominent, If its not actually used and read - whats the point of it?
  13. Azer

Azer Cupcake

I'm going to go against the flow here and say none of these things are actually needed to have a successful guild.

1. A guild website. - What do you need this for? What can you do here that you cant do with in-game tools?

2. A guild communication tool - Ventrilo, Mumble, Teamspeak, etc. Sure this helps or raiding or PvP but what if you are just a bunch of people who like to craft? I often duo with friends and dont bother logging in to voice because we've been playing together so long we dont need to talk. Admittedly this is the one thing that's going to benefit 99% of guilds.

3. A clear guild charter - Maybe if you're a guild of 100+ members. But most guilds that last start as a bunch of friends who like playing together. Its the friendships that they are there for not some specific in-game goal.

4. Recruitment - Again the longest lasting guilds dont go for a constant influx of players. Instead they invite friends or random people that they want because of how well they fit in, not what class they play.

5. Delegation of Power - The best guilds rarely have complicated ranking systems. That's more for forum guilds that dont last in game.

6. System of Reward - Isnt having fun it's own reward? I've never seen a successful guild using gimmicks like this.

7. Coaching - I agree coaching is a good way to approach leadership. But depending on your goals as a guild this isnt necessarily needed.

8. The hard decisions - You're right that it's harder to kick out a nice guy who isnt a good player than a great player who is an ass. But you really have to decide if it's more important to you to kick out your friends or to carry them. A guild can be successful either way.

There is really only one thing you need to have a successful guild: Shared values.

That's it. Are you serious raiders? Do you love PvP? Is racism ok? Is sucking at the game ok? So long as there is a strong consensus withing your guild as to what the answers to these kinds of questions are it doesnt matter what the answers are. Not having a website pales in comparison to half your guild thinking racism is funny and the other half finding it offensive.

I've been in the same guild for 17 years. I've seen literally tens of thousands of guilds fail. I guess I define success differently than OP.
  14. Rabb

Rabb New Cupcake

You say that yet your guild has a website, a guild charter (you can call it rules of membership but its the same thing) and is actively recruiting. You charter also states voice comes is required.

I'm not saying you don't have a valid opinion in your post and I agree with some off it, like keeping a simple rank structure. But do you truly believe that you could be a successful raiding Wildstar guild if you delete your recruitment posts, website and shut-down your voice coms?

Your point about shared values I completely agree with. It is, at its heart what keeps a guild together, but most of the points made in this thread make it much easier to find and keep people who share your values when creating a guild.
  15. Azer

Azer Cupcake

Could absolutely delete the website and recruitment post.

Really the website is for members from other games which we've now left to keep up to date so they know which server we're going to and the recruitment post I did because I was bored. It's not really a recruitment post because we only recruit in game.

For a raiding or PvP guild voice comms are needed, but if we were just a trading, RP or questing guild they wouldnt be needed.