1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Overpowered class

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by selodaoc, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Enkidu

Enkidu Cupcake-About-Town

Are people really crying for nerfs, and the game is not even out yet? Geez, this has to be some kind of record. *smiles* Did legendary dagger rogues touch you a naughty place in WoW? Or are you part of the SWTOR anti stealth craze?

I miss the days when people took into account the player, I mean for every good rogue or stealth class in pretty much any mmo you ran into what 4 or 5 horrible ones that freaked out when they were unable to kill someone via their opener.
  2. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

Due to chain knockdown and skills ignoring armor. Rogues shouldnt stun/kd 100-0. Keep them in melee range, yes, be it roots or gapclosers. Loads of interupts might be a better way to go then loads of stuns.
  3. Etan

Etan Cupcake

Atleast in wildstar you can build a AOE into your bar that allows you to reveal the people in stealth. And players having the abilities to add interrupt armor to eat CC's allows you to get past the normal stun lock til death BS.
  4. Arkana

Arkana New Cupcake

A bad player die fast with a stalker, a good one... (didnt see one yet using the stalker)
    Etan likes this.
  5. Kay

Kay Cupcake

Ask yourself this:

Can someone who was unaware of a stealth attack, wears light armor, and is of the same level, hope to defend or comeback from it?

Nobody likes getting nerfed; ESPECIALLY when it's actually overpowered and you get that power high. It sucks to be brought down in any way. But you must also wonder if it's fair; after all, if you can two-hit a cloth-wearing class before they even have time to react or flee or, indeed, figure out what is happening, then there's no denying you might be overpowered.

Every class needs a method of defense against one another; no class should have a clear and unbeatable advantage over another. Warriors' swords can cut mages like butter, but mages' powers can make sure the warriors never get close; the end question should be who uses those abilities better. Indeed, this sounds like the Stealth should be left alone, but you must also consider that by having the ability to attack unseen, you already have the upper hand - so a balance must be applied to make sure your upper hand isn't unfair.

To make this fair, then the stealth class in question should either be equally squishy, not totally devestating, or have a similar drawback to a sneak attack. Another solution might be having tells that allow a player with a keen eye to know they're being followed, such as a shimmer where the stealthee is or something.

Almost every class gets nerfed/buffed here and there; just different stories. In the end, it's best to stop thinking about how unfair it is to your class, and ask yourself if other classes had a hope in defending against what is being buffed. No player should have boss-grade power when facing someone of the same level.

Also consider that it is highly unlikely that you are a better player than more than 50% of the gamers in the world. Unless you're a champion-grade player (I mean a real one, with trophies and all, not just self-proclaimed) if you have a high success rate with stealth-destroying people, you can easily assume the ability might be overpowered.
    Maxyim likes this.
  6. Etan

Etan Cupcake

For stealth in wildstar i think itll be balanced based on your action bar if you sign up for blowing your load out of stealth with everything on your bar then if you dont kill that player right away you wont be able to do anything until CD's come up. I think the Esper has a few ways to deal with this one is popping innate and being immune to damage, Spellslingers can void slip and escape, Also with most abilitys being AOE and able to cast on the move you can reveal the stealth classes fairly easily depending on what you do. A skilled player can place telegraphs in a way that they know where they are getting attacked from and can atleast avoid the dmg increase from behind. Not that a good stealth player cant get around that by just waiting etc but im not to worried about getting reeped out of the blue when my innate is up.
  7. Kay

Kay Cupcake

Perhaps, perhaps. Wildstar does notably give more ability to see the invisible; stealthed enemies can be seen the closer they get to you, which is useful, and they seem to indicate there will be other tells. But the only defense should not be escape; that should be for if you're outgunned by a same-level enemy who packs better gear. A fight should be possible; one that the target can win. If they can't hope to win with the same level of character and gear, it's unfair. See my point?
  8. Etan

Etan Cupcake

If you watch the inital burst from the medic livestream of stalker on the spellslinger. He was able to get him to 25% maybe even less with the burst. This would mean in a 1v1 situation you would have the oppertunity to retaliate. The fact that classes have abilities to CC/Escape goes with that. Such as goat dashing through or void slipping away or various roots or even adding interrupt armor to yourself. Since when is a ability specifically used to evade being out gunned or someone better geared? Yes you may use them in that way but the core part of a ability is to be USED if your in a 1v1 fight and dont use a tool avalible to you why have it on your bar?
  9. Destian

Destian Cupcake-About-Town

I'd say we need to actually play the open beta before we can make a judgement call here, unless the devs are going to be kind enough to show us another dozen stalker vs. esper/SS duels at some point...
  10. Kay

Kay Cupcake

You seem to think I'm saying Stalker is OP - given the lack of any definite footage (as it is still in closed beta), there's no room to make that statement. I'm simply stating why stealth classes get nerfed a lot. This entire thread is rediculous because it acts like stealth classes are the only ones; EVERY class gets nerfed for different reasons; sometimes, warriors don't seem to be taking ANY damage. Sometimes, mages are dishing out WAY too much. Sometimes, that rogue killed someone way too easily by being invisible. My point is that the entire purpose of nerfing is not to cater to poor players; it's to balance out the system.

Until open beta comes, we won't know if the Stalker is OP, UP, or just right, same with other classes. I'm just saying this stuff so people don't get indignant and say 'it got nerfed because all the people playing the other classes are terrible.' Too many people have 'best player on the internet' syndrome these days.
  11. Etan

Etan Cupcake

My bad i just inferred a tone of Stalker is OP etc.. But anyways with the changes they claim to be rolling out Class balance is really important to them.
  12. Kumasan

Kumasan New Cupcake

Oh my a nerf the Stalker post and game isn't out yet. It wouldn't surprise me if Warrior and Stalker's are big dps like they are in most other MMO's. Rogue type characters are generally great in 1 v 1 or small group pvp but once you get into larger groups they become less effective. They can still dps but they take a lot of damage too. IMHO its the Warriors that you have to watch out for. They tend to get the most developer love since they are always at the front of a battle. Even in MMO's that were mainly PvE the warriors tend to do very well.
  13. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Is anyone else annoyed that the stalker livestream is going to be shown after the holidays I really wanted to see stalker tanking in action. From the other streams hands down engineer has to be my favorite class atm.

Generally melee does start out stronger than range classes. You also have to put gear optimization as well.
    Warrior/rogue main source of dmg output is the weapon while many caster classes are spread out to the whole set. melee doesn't have to focus on many stats as caster as well (sometimes depends on game).

Wildstar could make it where every class main source of dmg is from weapon so it can be very interesting how it plays out. I also wish I knew about more about stats in this game and how it effects each class.
  14. Azy

Azy New Cupcake

I play a stealth class/healer and sometimes tank in DAOC, WoW, AOC, SWTOR, GW2. I can tell you that the most OP stealth mechanic is in GW2.

In WvW -Big zones with random pvp-, thieves can travel across the terrain faster than any class, they can teleport instantly -even vertically!- with zero cool down on that ability, they are not revealed when being dotted or AOEd, they have anytime instant access to in combat stealth, they can easily get out of any fight once they are losing -NEVER seen it this bad in any previous games- and they have crazy dps even after the repeated nerfs. Arena fights has a cooldown between restealthing but even then the class is obviously cheap.

The WS team has seen what a disaster that mechanic was and have changed things a bit but not completely. The class WILL be OP come launch and I think it will remain so.

In this game, damage does not reveal stealth -you can trait into that-, you can stealth without being revealed when damaged from certain abilities I think, you have abilities that lower the cool down on restealth. The grass movement etc is not helpful during group combat with lots of animations flying around, you can't constantly watch your back while fighting or moving for grass moving and stalkers can jump from a top floor unto you. This is just from the released lowbie vids+class abilities.

The class is introduced for customers who want an edge or handicap -to get their sub money- vs other pvpers and stealth is never introduced in any game that is serious about balance issues.

The only people who think the stealth mechanic is fair are the people who play it. Kinda like the only person who thinks North Korea is ok is Kim Jong-Li.
    Skippy likes this.
  15. Gamerz

Gamerz Cupcake

Heh heh good call i agree.

Check out this video which shows some low level pvp. Even though it may be different at cap it seeems very easy to for the class to escape from multiple attackers. My vote is overbaked as always.

Azy likes this.
  16. Azy

Azy New Cupcake

Yea I wish he would post vids about other classes. This one was pretty informative.
  17. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

Pretty much all twitch streamers say stalkers have exactly the problems i said.
    CC problems, crappy stealth, lack of gapclosers, low sustained dmg.
  18. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

That's weird. I'm not arguing with you, but I just watched a Twitch streamer yesterday playing a stalker (the funny guy with dark hair and glasses, forget his name) and he said none of those things. Of course I didn't finish the stream completely. But I could have sworn he said he liked the way they did stealth because it wasn't OP but it was persistent at the same time. He said the stealth mechanic will reveal the character increasingly as they moved closer to another character.
  19. Koriel

Koriel New Cupcake

This is very true. Those that complain about stealth OP.... has obviously not played a rogue in WoW before. I've played both ends of the stick and will never QQ when a rogue ganks me for standing alone and exposed. Yes, its frustrating - but consider the rogue's gameplay. i) you spend 80% of your time waiting for an opening ii) you come out and 50% you going to die (you are a squishy melee) iii) you rely on your initial burst and some cc ability to make a kill... you need to plan - choose the right time, place, situation before you start any fight.

Considering all that.... i'd say "bravo" to a rogue if hes ever to get top kills and 0 dealths in any BG (especially in AV-type big scale BG)
  20. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

Exaclty my friend. And these are exactly the reasons why I went from playing a rogue in every MMO to playing a hunter/ranger class. Same medium armor squishiness, but much much less of a headache. At least for me.