1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The planned patch release cycle and patching downtime

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Garalia, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Garalia

Garalia New Cupcake

Here's one I've not seen discussed anywhere yet.

Given that there is a stated intent to release patches on something like a 4-6 week cycle, have we heard anything on how they plan to implement these patches? Will it involve staring at a launcher's "patching, please wait" screen for an hour or two while the content downloads and updates (a la SWTOR's patches)? Or will it be more in-line with WoW's launcher where critical files are updated before you get logged in, but the remaining assets are downloaded once you're in-game so that you can get more playtime?

Anyone heard anything from the devs on the plan for handling the tech side of delivering frequent content updates, and what it really means to players? I know we've seen some demos of the tools used to create content, but I don't think we've seen anything yet on the tech to deliver it into our greedy little hands.

Thoughts, theories, rants and wild speculation all welcomed.... it is da interwebz after all!

SnailPlissken likes this.
  2. Narrack

Narrack Cupcake

As far as I'm aware the current launcher downloads and installs everything before you are allowed to play and i suspect for launch at least it will stay that way due to being a low priority.

With their plan for frequent updates i doubt they will be Gb's in size probably just a few hundred meg at most per update so would only take a small amount of time to download.

3. SnailPlissken

SnailPlissken Cupcake

This is something that has been on my mind lately as well. The thing that worries me is if they do what Bioware did with swtor and schdule the downtime at the same time for everyone. So when the americans where asleep and it wouldn't bother them, the game went down for maintenance, but when the americans are asleep it's prime time in europe.
    Please let it not be like this!
    It ended up being one of the many nails in swtors coffin for me.

Well, that was my rant:D

4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

If you are ''new'' to the forum...then yes, but to some of us....NO, it has been discussed. And they have stated some things about it already in some articles :D

I think they didn't only stated they want to update every 4-6 weeks, but also that it will not have an extreme long downtime. They are trying to make it go ''smooth'' (even small updates that happen in-game without any downtime. For the ''big'' ones I don't know exactly, but expect them to try to make it as ''smooth'' as possible!

As the Dev's once answered my question:

What happens if you stand on a mountain and you guys implement a small update that the mountain is destroyed? (he used that example before).

Answer: You get blown off! (don't know if it was a joke or serious for he didn't used any smilies).

Most likely small updates will be part of your in-game experience (what he wanted). If they can make this happen....that another :cautious:

5. SnailPlissken

SnailPlissken Cupcake

We aren't super cupcakes yet ;)

Xlugon Pyro and Kataryna like this.
  6. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

very few of us are Super Cupcakes ;)

Siflay and SnailPlissken like this.
  7. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

I feel your pain when it comes to server downtime. Tried Final Final fantasy. It seemed that the the only time I could play was during there scheduled maintenance.

8. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

I'll be honest... Super Cupcakes sound Delicious.

As far as patches go... There are sure to be Hotfixes which don't require a client restart or long patching process, however any significant patch is sure to require a server restart in order to boot everyone, and possibly downtime to make sure everything is working alright.

Even WoW's awesome streaming launcher doesn't save them from significant downtime and long patch days.

In reply to Extatica, I would be one of the first people to run as fast as I could to that mountain before it exploded. :p

Extatica likes this.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I'm the one standing on that mountain waiting for you, lighting the way for you!

Anyway...I'm just glad that they want us to have as less downtime as possible! Just trying to achieve it is good enough for me :up:

10. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

Mountainsplosion Tiki Luau Party woooo!

I've been following various MMO development for quite some time. The number of times Devs have promised frequent content updates is pretty high, yet never really delivered. I'd like Carbine to be the one who finally comes through.

To quote a great, albeit fictional, man...

"Many have said that. But you are the first I believe could do it!" - Teal'c

11. Jicmonster

Jicmonster Cupcake-About-Town

wouldn't a super cupcake be a... cake... or is there another step in there? anyhow...

there are other games that have implemented background/pre-patching done where some basic stuff gets quasi patched in days prior to the actual update to cut down on patch time.

12. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Time to get postin', son!

The few. The proud. The Super Cupcakes.

It is if your name is Extatica. Delicious little chua. He'll soon become Extataco!

13. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

hehe I find it funny that everyone goes after Extatica for being a Chua - then completely ignores lil bitty me ;) :D

14. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

There are reasons.

Being annoying is one. :)

Kataryna likes this.
  15. atom

atom Cupcake-About-Town

They won't. It's not a matter of talent or ability, it's software development. Learn to live with that and your life will be much more satisfying knowing that there's nothing you or anyone else can do to effect it.