1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The potential of spectator PvP

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Afrotech, Aug 31, 2013.

?

Do you think the outcome of the SWToR events will have any influence on WildStar spectator plans?

1. Yes

17.6%
  2. No

52.9%
  3. Maybe (explain)

29.4%
  1. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

Most people here have likely seen the April 2013 ZAM interview with PvP designer Jen Gordy about future PvP plans for WildStar and the potential for spectator arena tournaments.

However, in the interview she points out that if a spectator mode were to be implemented it would come post launch. Well SWToR is apparently testing out the spectator PvP waters with the announcement of livestream events in September and October for Warzone Arenas.

Depending on how these events pan out it will be interesting to see what influence if any these events could have on Carbine's future plans.

2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Seeing how Carbine uses other games to increase their own game I expect them to learn from this aswell (as they should TBH!).

But untill i've seen the spec. mode in swtor I cannot fully say what it's influence on WS will be ;)

3. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

In my opinion spectator client is crusial for a living and thriving PvP community. It makes creating player hosted tournaments so much easier, gives the game visibility trough streams and videos and really makes the PvP genre more interactive.

Since the russians came up with the way to host 3v3 tournaments in WoW, the playerbase has been able to blow some live back in to the PvP scene. It might be too little too late, but it shows that player created content in PvP is a nice way to make PvP players happy.

NILVIO likes this.
  4. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

I don't imagine the success/viewership of the event itself will mean much to anyone at Carbine (or Blizz or any other developer that will surely have an eye on it) but hiccups that happen, what parts go well, etc. will be things they have someone taking notes about. No safer way to get info than watch someone else take a stab at it before you. But I really doubt anyone will judge viability of this type of event off of how many people watch a SW:TOR event. SW:TOR just doesn't have the following to be used to assess if MMOs can work for e-sports type stuff.

5. Afrotech

snip
    This was my thinking also having BioWare test this out for them and make assessments based on the outcome but, mostly I'm just glad that developers haven't given up on arenas based on what Blizzard has said.
    I hope the spec mode event goes well for SWToR it will just be more encouragement for Carbine to do it in WildStar arenas.

I'm surprised that spec mode hasn't been exploited more seriously in other games it seems like the perfect way to consistently create buzz for a game and give players or teams notoriety .

6. Spongbob the squarepants

Spongbob the squarepants New Cupcake

Hopefully they will go ahead with it whether SWTOR does or doesn't get it to work. As a PvPer seeing top class matches or tournaments would be sensational, but also to see and learn from other players where you can just watch the play

SENSATIONAL!!!

Bring it on!!

7. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

I'd be surprised if it had any affect on their plans for spectator mode. It's pretty clear that it's only a matter of when and not if it'll be added, and I'm sure they already know how they want to go about doing it.

It doesn't even look like SWTOR will be using an actual spectator client for those events. From the promotional page:
    This certainly isn't my idea of a spectator client.

8. Afrotech

So what is your idea of an"actual" spectator client? I admit I may not be very savvy about this but, I thought twitch tv was commonly used for this sort of thing in other games like StarCraft, LoL and DOTA.
    What's the difference?

9. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Whenever I hear talk about Spectator mode, I always think of Rainbow 6, which is an over the shoulder camera and you are able to jump/cycle through any player on your team to follow them.

10. Afrotech

Yup I remember that but, my first experience with spec mode was in Counter Strike when it was still just a mod and if you were in it, it meant you were dead. :laugh:

11. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So, a spectator client would be a dedicated software which puts you in control of a camera and you have no effect on the game itself. Streaming would just be in the viewpoint of the person streaming, as in, the actual game being played. It would be nigh impossible to be an announcer at a game that you were playing in.

Additionally if you're simply streaming it means that people watching on twitch only watch where you are and can't control the camera, thereby not allowing them to see key events during the game. This means you're just watching someone play, instead of watching it as an E-sport. There is a huge difference, because e-sport means you have teams, sponsors, media, announcers, etc. while streaming just means you're going to twitch to watch some guy or girl play a game, usually the best streamers are the ones which are interactive with their audience and have no direct correlation to their skill level.

This has a secondary effect to the PVP community. If it turns to e-sports, it means pro strategies quickly spread through the in game community, and help to refine the game-play somewhat. If it's just streamers it really has much less effect on the community, as they may watch a guide once and get the general idea. But streaming is less entertaining for gameplay reasons, while e-sports are very exciting and entertaining, due to their ability to always center in on action.

Afrotech likes this.
  12. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

One thing that will come into play with Carbine is the technical aspect of it. Such as how fast it streams and if there is a delay and how long that delay will be.

Spectator PVP will be excellent to have around because it encourages the PVP community and can help bring some of the on the fence PVE-ers into the fold. Though I know it will essentially be either a floating camera or an over the shoulder cam that can be moved to different players, I have an image in my head of a big tournament finale on a jumbotron in the major cities. Would be cool to "tailgate" for them, I think.

Kleev and Afrotech like this.
  13. Afrotech

So basically a fixed camera versus a dynamic camera that can follow the action like in the NFL or other professional sports with blow by blow commentary yeah that's a huge difference and I hadn't thought that deeply into it.

I would have been happy to just watch a live match even with a fixed camera mostly because, I haven't experienced anything else in a PC game but, going back and re-reading what Jen Gordy said in the interview the distinction she makes between Twitch.tv and spectator mode makes more sense now.

Jen Gordy also says in the interview that spec mode was not included at launch because, they didn't have the resources to do it at the quality she wanted. I thought this was odd at the time before your post because, I was thinking in simple terms but, if what she wants falls into your description I can see why they are holding off until sometime after launch.

..thanks for the clarification

This^^ ..and in those settler made pubs to give another incentive to be there.

plic70 likes this.
  14. plic70

Think how hard that would push settlers to unlock the jumbotron/tv streaming add on. Their path XP would go bonkers. Also, if there is commentary for the matches, it would overide the background music while in the bar or viewing area.

15. Afrotech

This is one of those things where you hope "the devs are truly listening". Not since SWG has there really been a compelling reason for people to congregate in game bars, pubs or cantinas except maybe for hard core role players.

16. EtherealOmega

EtherealOmega Cupcake-About-Town

It will affect how they would go about implementing that part of the PvP plan. No one has really done this right before so it would be really cool if WildStar is the first to figure it out :)

17. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Personally I would not give a fig about spectator mode, but I assume to some it makes as much sense to them as watching real life sports does. I am sure Protostar will come out on top of it, just imagine the commercial spots they can sell - and people would be used to commercials along the borderlines in such a setting.

plic70 likes this.
  18. plic70

Hot <REDACTED>!!!! Think of the guild recruiting adds you could post if there were "commercials"... That could be hilarious and a nice money sink. Cost say 10,000 gold per video add or like 2,000 for a picture with scroll text running at the bottom of the match. Vids would be made and edited by player to be uploaded(no idea how) and the pictures would be screenshots recruitment text....

Totally impractical but hilariously interesting.

SiegaPlays and Afrotech like this.