1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Return of the Flying Mount Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Yakzan, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Compella

Compella Cupcake

I stopped reading after the first paragraph. There are PvP and PvE servers.
  2. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

That paragraph has implications on many levels, mostly for the players who "claim" to be "World PvPers". If you believe that being on the ground creates world PvP, then stay on the ground. Otherwise you're creating your own problem. Right?
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  3. Compella

Compella Cupcake

Now we're just going back to previous discussions; we're beating a dead horse. People have gone over the "just don't use it", "stay on the ground". I'd suggest reading their responses.
  4. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

No, it's not as simple as that. Think about it - are the people who are complaining about flying mounts eliminating world PvP the ones contributing to the problem of lack of world PvP?

I'd suggest going back and reading the 20 or so other posts I've had in this thread as well. I've got everything covered.
  5. Tiberio

Tiberio New Cupcake

They'll have to make sure their opening telegraph is the right one and that it's lined up to make sure they get a hit in. Then theres the possibility that the person on the ground sees the red and dodges out of the way.
  6. Compella

Compella Cupcake

They aren't complaining, they are sharing their preference for the exclusion/restriction of flying mounts because in their opinion it affects world pvp. Whatever you say you won't change their mind because they have experienced how flying mounts have affected them in previous games.

Look we aren't going to change eachother's mind. Just leave it.
  7. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Most players will always choose the path of least resistance. I mean, if people had the choice to pick up the best loot in the game for some gold OR by doing challenging raids for it, you think most people wouldn't just buy it? Of course they would. There would be conscientious objectors but if you give people the option, they're going to avoid uphill struggles. And probably miss out on a whole lot of fun and frustration as a result.

A lot of the most memorable times people I know recall from old MMOs were precisely things that they didn't plan on happening, but that happened out in the open world unexpectedly.
    Apostate and Compella like this.
  8. Ryan Wrocklage

Ryan Wrocklage Cupcake

I'm not a WPVP person. If a game has no WPVP I wouldn't notice one way or the other. It has no affect on my gameplay.

I see that this discussion has for the most part turned away from any serious issue with flight besides WPVP. Removing something from the game that seems to only be an issue for a smaller niche of the community which is not even a huge focus on the game doesn't seem realistic to me. Also the entire argument for or against flight in WPVP is entirely opinion based. Just because some people think it's ruining something there are just as many people who think it's not. As a general rule on forums, those who have problems with things are vocal, those who like the way things are implemented don't realize people have a problem and never even post.

At this point the only content that would be legitimately damaged (not opinion based damage) by flight would be Explorer path. Everything else is just peoples perspectives. I trust Carbine has some idea what they're doing, and they won't implement the Explorer path AND flight without taking this into consideration. I agree that some sort of restriction or mechanics should be implemented to make it new and fresh, but there should be flying mounts of some wort in the game.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  9. Ryan Wrocklage

Ryan Wrocklage Cupcake

Do you play on PVP or PVE servers?
  10. Compella

Compella Cupcake

"smaller niche of the community" any stats to back that up? or is it that your uneducated opinion?
  11. dennisjeb

dennisjeb New Cupcake

It's ok to have flying mounts. just make it that only max level people can get them and that they are super pricy. Also i think it's a good thing to make some areas or places ground mount only accaceble.
  12. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I'm still confused, personally, how flying mounts negatively impact world PvP. I mean, I was on a RP server and we had battles in the world that involved flying mount mechanics all the time. Someone would try to get out of combat, escape on their mount... I'd chase them down and pop off that one last hit that would kill them and we'd both fall to our deaths but I GOT HIM!

I mean, I am just a bit confused I guess how it kills world PvP. If you are zooming around the ground on your land mount, you can avoid players if you don't wish to fight them just as easy as if you're on your flying mount. You see someone, you zoom away.

Battles take place when two or more people want them to. This kind of thing happened all the time on my server and we weren't even a PvP server.

This was all in Nagrand, too... the area that was designed from the ground up with flying mounts in mind. Just like WildStar is being designed. Now if you want to consider it "killed world PvP in WoW" in the regular world when they changed everything, well... did it? If that's true, why didn't Nagrand kill world PvP back when TBC was released? I never hear people talking about that, it's always when the old world was "changed."

I think maybe other factors may have contributed to World PvP dropping off besides flying mounts... >.>
    Lethality, Rumze, Kataryna and 3 others like this.
  13. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Well, 46 pages in, I think the time has come to say goodbye to this thread. Why? People have become too heated in the debate leading to constant flaming and derailing of the thread. I believe the thread has done its job at this point so it's time to give it the farewell salute. ;_;7 </Mod Monocle>
    Drayhken, Kataryna and BonusStage like this.
  14. Xeyu

Xeyu New Cupcake

Hey guys,

i'm a bit curious to know what do you guys think about flying mounts, would you like to have them in game?

Personally i feel like they are not necessary. I think they could potentially ruin the explorer path and what about world PVP?It's always nice to be going somewhere when in a flash of a second, you see an enemy and you know hes going for you and just plain jump in the action of battle and see who will survive.If flying mounts are added, you will probably pass over him without even noticing there was an enemy around.

Another thing, i think flying mounts makes the overall game look small. Just imagine, Climbing your way up a mountain with a ground mount, where you pass around an elite monster that would 1 shot you, clear a few packs of mobs, go up some stair and up some rocks, to finally get to that peak to complete that quest, it took you 4 minutes to get up there. That mountain feels pretty high right? well if you take that same mountain and i give you a flying mount, it took you 15 seconds to go up there...now you probably think that mountain is small huh?

On another hand, Flying mounts for special quest or raids sounds like a good idea! I mean bombing quest over town, getting to a new boss through a flying zone only or even some kind of racing mini game! Taxi flying mounts are also welcome! these all sound awesome, but only in a small dose. If you can hop on a flying mount whenever you want, i feel like you lose so much of the MMO experience we are all looking for.

i'm really curious about the general opinion on that matter,

What do you guys think?
  15. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

There's a flying thread which has some pretty good discussion going on over HERE. I'd suggest continuing this discussion over there.
  16. SyberSycho

SyberSycho Cupcake

This as been discussed to death on multiple threads. HERE is another thread if you want to read more into others thoughts.
  17. Xeyu

Xeyu New Cupcake

Good link, i'm more curious about the stats here, what % of the community is against or for flying mounts. Unfortunately all the other threads does not offer a voting poll, hence why i made this one.
  18. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Yeah, polls are awesome. It's not the OPs fault the other 86 threads on this exact same <REDACTED>ing topic don't have one so cut him some slack.
  19. Nezk

Nezk Cupcake

They Butcher world PvP in every way possible
  20. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

Abstaining from voting as my view is a lot more nuanced. I'm basically a no unless it's the kind of complexity we're discussing in that other thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.