1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The significance of SOUND in WildStar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Afrotech, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

If you have ever owned a performance car, sport bike, Harley or any particular brand of high powered firearms you probably have a good idea of how significant and satisfying the role sound plays as a unique characteristic.

I had a 2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 with a Bostrom Bros. full racing exhaust and if I was coming home on the expressway about 10 minutes after arriving home my cell phone would ring with a friend who lives five miles away from said expressway asking "were you just on the e-way about 10 minutes ago?" "Yeah how did you know" I would reply? "because no other pipes sound like yours" he would answer.

This would bring a wide devilish grin to face. :devilish:

So my question as the title suggests what are you all's feelings about having sound play an important part in the characteristics of weapons, mounts and perhaps other things in WildStar?

ruff_ethereal likes this.
  2. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

Personally i think sound plays a HUGE part in it, the right sounds can make a spell, ability or strike sound like it has impact. Sometimes this is the difference between being immersed and not.

Drarorm, ruff_ethereal and Zwipe like this.
  3. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

The sound of the characters' footsteps is one of the most important things to me in a video game. That rhythmic sound effect of boots on a metal surface can be strangely satisfying.

Irullan likes this.
  4. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Sound is everything. I do not have a playlist in the background, and rely solely on the in-game music and sounds.

The right sound effect can make or break a spell or an activity. The right music can turn a good moment into a great one.

Sound is one of the most powerful tools you could ever have in storytelling, immersion, and gaming. Without it, you are suffering one HELL of a loss. Unless, of course, you opted to do away with sound altogether and make up for it in other ways, i.e. the Kingdom of Loathing.

Cuban Cowboy likes this.
  5. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, sound plays a very important role in games without decent sounds, It'd be like using a light saber, and it having it make a wooden sword sound. >.> That would kinda take all the enjoyment out of it lol.

6. Haoli

Haoli Cupcake-About-Town

I definitely agree with this. My one shining example from MMOs is the first time I walked into the entrance of Stormwind in WoW.

That was <REDACTED> amazing.

Irullan likes this.
  7. Galosha

Galosha Cupcake

I usually turn off all but interface sounds in games (i need to know if i get wispers or invites when game window minimized). It begins with the fact that i need use TS/Mumble. I'm actually one of those people that do not distinguish words if there music + special effects on the backgroun. And then after a couple of cycles switching on/off, my lazy nature say to me - use playlist it's faster and fewer actions.

8. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

I listen to in game sounds for a week or two at most, the only way you can keep me going longer is if there's voice acting. Which in this case there is voice acting so I'll likely be listening all the way to max level, then off it goes while I run around doing max level things and I watch/listen to other things.

Course, part of this is that I have minor ADOLST (attention defic- oh look shiny thing!) so without the voice acting, I need to have something else going on so I can focus on the game.

9. Zero713

Zero713 Cupcake

I'm hoping sound plays a large part. The right music, effect, or sound, however so subtle, can absolutely make a moment. I am really hoping the collectors edition, mega edition, or whatever comes with a sound track, because I will buy that version for the music alone.

I plan to take the explorer path, and when I'm scaling mountains and getting to the top where the sun is setting, and I can see the entire area, having an amazing soundtrack will absolutely make that moment. Those times where you just take time out of questing and killing to just appreciate the art and game world around the character.

10. Atreyah

Atreyah New Cupcake

I have played several MMOs over the past few years, and for once I actually plan to leave the music on. I usually turn it off because it distracts me but there is something about Wildstar's music that has me hooked. I don't plan on keeping it too loud but I do think that since they made some of the scores "combat themed" it will be interesting to see how fights are with epic background music. I always have UI/VO sounds on because I feel more immersed in the game with them on.

11. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

Good ambient sound like weather and sounds of nature along with a great music score should always be mandatory and from what I have heard of Jeff Kurtenacker's score no disappointment there, but my interest is more focused around sound bites attached to gear like weapons and vehicles

Since it appears that crafting and customization will play an important role in WildStar I was thinking aside from loot drops wouldn't it be cool if crafted items like weapons had maybe a random chance to have a unique sound characteristic.
    How cool would it be to have a distinct sounding weapon, vehicle or some other item player crafted.
    You could end up having the sound of a weapon being synonymous to a player made item like the sound of a Ferrari or Smith & Wesson.

12. Vladislove

Vladislove New Cupcake

I always play MMOs with music or talking with someone, so I usually never hear the sounds. But it's always nice to turn of the music and hear good spell sounds and background music from time to time.

13. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

I agree that sound is a big factor in games, and music can really enhance the feel of a game as well. From the soundcloud samples that were published a while ago, I'm very confident in the music, it sounds very awesome to me already.

As for the sounds, I think it's important to get the repetitive ones down right. Like attack sounds, grunts, hit noises, foot steps etc. No one enjoys hearing say, a blaster pistol that only has one sound, which is obnoxious on top of that. Hundreds of hours of that will certainly diminish the fun a bit.
    That, and voiceovers and npc callouts should be varied, so you don't get the whole Neverwinter effect of playing one of only 2-3 different samples every ten seconds. Wait near an NPC and within minutes you will be wanting to murder him.

14. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

i just hope they have random music for areas,i'm so bored of the same tune over and over again

15. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

In order of turning off:
    - cut-scenes (containing music)
    - repetitive music
    - situational music
    - steps (only when they are not important for the game play)
    - environmental/ambient sound effects
    - sounds (weapons, spells)
    - mp3 tracks (not supplied with the game)
    This sums it up.

I only wish they separate sounds to three sub-types and let us control their volume:
    - my characters sound effects
    - other players sound effects
    - mobs sound effects

16. kur1

kur1 Cupcake-About-Town

From a gameplay perspective, sound is beyond essential.

How do I know my ability was used? My enemy used a cooldown? The boss is prepping a big attack (but not that other big attack, that hits differently)? My button press actually resulted in some sort of action?

Sound is essential feedback to any player, especially in the higher skill echelons.

Failing to include very distinct, clear, identifiable sounds for every ability/mechanic would spell disaster for WS if it wants to call itself truly competitive.

17. Talksin

Talksin Cupcake

Hah, yaknow I almost always play mmo's without sound, usually listen to MY music instead. I might only play with mmos sound if there's a GLADIATORLOSSA-like addon for Wildstar.

18. Irullan

Irullan Cupcake

I totally agree! In wow, I often made my power auras completely sound based- sound can convey SO MUCH information, without cluttering the interface. I think any great game will recognize this and make the most of it!

19. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I always play World of Warcraft with sounds on, ambient and musics on quite low but still hearable levels. My point of view is that why should you leave all the information to be handled by only one of your sences when you can use two.
    Most of the time bosses have emotes such as "I am rly rly angry and there is high chance I will drop my hammer on your location soon, so you might wanna watch out bro!!!!". You don't have to follow timers, or pay attention to certain mechanics all the time. You just listen and you hear, aha.. Now the hammer is comming. Use your eyes and your ears to work together. Same in arena, I always have to pay attention to everything that happens around me, when I hear different kind of a "ching" or what ever the sound for ability might be, I know what spell someone used.

Also I love to keep musics on cause it just brings more atmosphere to the game. I have played most of my time in wow as Alliance, but I was Horde for two years due to guild transfer. I actually transfered back to Alliance just because I missed stormwind theme music. :)

Good soundtrack on right points can really enhance scenes and gameplay greatly. From the top of my head movies and soundtracks I Loved in their respective movies were The Rock - Shower scene, wich is so epic it has actually been copied in to games (Call of Duty), "Gladiator" and It's theme, "Black Hawk Down" theme.
    Now when thinking about it, I tend to like Hanz Zimmer's epic sountracks.

Afrotech and Irullan like this.
  20. Neurotic Cucpake

Neurotic Cucpake Cupcake-About-Town

No it's not. I've been playing games for decades now (my god, it has been decades, hasn't it?) and rarely, if ever, do I play with the sound on, save to hear something for the first time.

By paying attention.

If you can't pay attention to simple things like that, you're not in the "higher skill echelons."