1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Story The Star of The Wild

Discussion in 'WildStar Fan Creations' started by Michael, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Michael

Michael New Cupcake

There was a reason Alax navigated the virtcursor over the glowing jewel in the center of the planetary map.

"That," He said, pulling his hands free from the projection in the center of the war room, "is the planet Nexus."

He stepped away from the flickering display filling a third of the room, a smile on his face as he looked to the silhouette of two Granok nearest him, a male and a female.

"Balaash!" the female growled through a burning cigroot jutting from her granite jaw.

"I take it you disagree?" Alax said, the smile now fading fast.

The Granok lazily took a deep inhale from the root in her mouth before a muscled arm reached up to remove it from her teeth. She looked down at it for a moment before flicking it at the projection. It deftly struck the surface of the bright graphic representing Nexus, causing ripples in the display wave as she stepped forward from the shadows.

Alax turned to look at Nexus, still rippling and flickering as the Granok moved towards him. He heard gasps from the others in the war room, though he couldn't see them with the lights angled as they were. He was standing flatfooted in the center of a pool of bright light.

He turned back just in time for the Granrok's face to rush up to his, looking like a craggy and uncharted backwater planet. One he didn't particularly want to visit.

"Nexus is a myth!" The mercenary grunted through a cloud of thick smoke erupting from her nose and mouth. "It was an ancient myth back before any of my ancestors of record were born, boy."

Alax reached up to hold two forked fingers out in front of his forehead.

"You planning to head buttin' me? You're gonna lose an eye."

The huge granite woman blinked. The room fell silent. Then the Granok threw her head back and blasted a loud and mighty laugh.

"You made me toss a perfectly good cigroot! Ha ha! Some joke!"

What happened next happened quickly.

Alax lept forward, past and the the right of the Granok. He heard a blaster bolt and rolled until he faced the area he had just stood in

There, where he had been standing a moment before was a young male Aurin with one of Alax's pistol's in his hand and a smoking smudge on the floor. The pistol in the Aurin's hand still sparked slightly as it's power celled cycled down for the next blast.

But the Aurin threw the pistol to Alax who caught it in both hands.

"I don't think our friend here was joking." the young Auran said.

"They say there've been rumors of The Exiles finding Nexus."

The Aurin stepped forward to rub his foot against the still smoking section of deck.

"And they say," the Aurin continued, "that The Dominion has been training their people to avoid attacks with almost.... what is the human word... preturnatural anticipation."

Around the room, the noise level rose. The initial shock of the attack gave way to suspicion. Alax knew it was time to reveal all he knew.

He stood and drew himself to his full height.

"We humans have been taking a lot of trash for the way we fight. Sometimes for the way we fight dirty, and lately the Human Core World Brigade...."

More reaction from the crowd.

"...has discovered an ability that The Doms have that we don't. At least until now. It's called Telepathically Enhanced Low-level Evasion. Telegraphs, we call them, because you can map out your opponents moves just before he, or she, makes them. They can change the battlefield, and the battle."

Alax stepped out of the pool of light far enough to let his eyes adjust so that he could look into the faces of The Exlies now staring at him.

"Nexus has been found. And Nexus now is our best chance of reclaiming what The Dominions has taken from all of us! Now, we can cower in the pit of this starship making plans, dreaming dreams.... or we can learn how to use The Dom's own tools against them and make they fight like hell for every inch of that planet they plan on invading like they did your planet!"

Alax stopped in front of a sad-eyed female Aurin for a moment before moving on to the next Exile face.

"And yours! And yours! And mine! Hell, there's not enough time to detail all the things those scum have done to all of us. But there is time to train. Time to learn. And time to fight back!"

Alax raised his pistol in the air, not certain of the reaction he'd get.

But a moment later cheers erupted; first from the Granok, closely followed by the humans. After that, the room erupted with cheers and cries of support from every race he'd ever heard of, and a few he hadn't.

He turned back to look at the floating world in the center of the war room. They would head to Nexus soon. Very soon.

And when they did, Alax knew it would be war.
    Kurik Lein, Evion, JarNod and 4 others like this.
  2. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

Nicely written, very much enjoyed it! Would definitely follow and read if you did more :)
    Michael likes this.
  3. Darkspur

Darkspur Cupcake-About-Town

Good stuff man, I like the way you write. You keep it fast moving and on the run and you captured a difficult mechanic to explain. Looking forward to more bud :D well done
    Michael likes this.
  4. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

:up::up:

If I had more thumbs I would give them! :)

Very nice flow and balance. I really enjoyed it. Please continue this story if you can, I would love to keep reading.
    Michael likes this.
  5. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Very nice Michael, I would love to read another one. :)
    Michael likes this.
  6. Shady

Shady Cupcake-About-Town

Glad to see more writer in the forum.
    Nice read, hope you tell us what happens next.
    Michael likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael New Cupcake

Thank you for the kind words. I wrote another piece which I will post here. It's a bit different, but continues telling little character pieces about people on board one Exile ship called "The Star Of The Wild". Hence the thread title. I hope you get a kick out of it.

Michael
  8. Michael

Michael New Cupcake

The Star of the Wild Part 2: The Dragon's Spear

As an Aurin, Kadmos wasn't wholely familiar with the accent known as "British", but he was swiftly learning to distinguish idiosyncrasies from those of other human forms of expression, though he had to admit it still, as his new employer Lord "Jinky" Quixo would often say, "set his teeth on edge".

It was early in the morning of the 7th day of the Exile conferences taking place to decide a course of action upon reaching Nexus that Kadmos first got an inkling of what he'd originally sought employment with his lordship to find.

The screaming radioactive skeleton's bright white aura hurt his eyes a bit as it stood in the center of the sitting room and Kadmos nearly poured Lord Quixo's tea into the saucer, rather than into the cup.

"Steady on, old chap!" Lord Quixo shouted, trying to recover the near disaster in his cup. "I'll never shine at the conference without a clear head. Heaven knows what bit of nonsense the Captain of the Traitor's Karma will fall into without me to protect him from that young Granok scalliwag trying to force his ship into mercenary service!"

As Lord Quixo continued on in that vein, Kadmos fixed a polite smile on his face and nodded to his employer, but out of the corner of his eye he was watching the abomination carefully as it waited for a moment to strike.

The psychic abomination, screaming and gibbering as it was, was invisible to Lord Quixo. Which was fortunate considering how upset "Jinky" had gotten at the slightly uneven grilling marks on his chobbo steak the previous night. Kadmos had almost thought he might have to sedate his Lordship.

Fortunately a stiff shot of Aldresynth calmed his down right away. This screaming monstrosity in front of them, however, would certainly throw a monkey wrench into the conference if Kadmos hadn't kept his psychic shielding up at full power.

"Listen Carefully." Kadmos psychically addressed the screaming, radioactive vision before him. "His Lordship is quite busy and is not taking visitors at the moment."

He'd found this peculiarly British attitude to have a decidedly calming effect on his on psyche. Perhaps it was the influce of his lordship. Regardless, as he used it, the screaming from the skeleton stopped to be replaced by a quizzical look on the creatures facial bones – as though it's face were made of only partly bone and something of flesh shaped to look like bone.

Kadmos noted a decided dimming of it's radioactive aura.

"I.... uh..." the creature stuttered.

"Yes, yes, I know. You're here to play on his lordship's fears of death by radioactive exposure, but it simply won't do. Another time perhaps."

The creature face slumped. It looked positively defeated. Which in fact it was, as evidence by it's fading away back into the nothingness from which it sprang.

"Kadmos! I've just had the most marvelous idea!" Lord Quixo said, brightening considerably from the near disastrous cup of morning tea. "Imagine the congenial feelings a blue ascot would illicit from the conference members this morning!"

"If I may take the liberty, sir. Most Granok we'll be encountering at the conference will be from the sothernmost continent of their home planet and thus nearly colorblind."

Lord Quixo seemed disappointed and looked off into space – which was a good thing as Kadmos spotted the next attack – a group a lovely dancing purple skinned women on the lip of his lordship's teacup.

It was the work of a moment to ensure that his lordship couldn't see them and even Kadmos had to force his eyes away from the hypnotic view before him.

"I must say, Kadmos. You do an excellent job, but I was just reading a book one of the Aurin delegates gave me to peruse, and have you ever heard of a Signum?"

Kadmos arched and innocent eyebrow. "A Signum, sir? The title does sound familiar."

"Well, from what I've been lead to understand a Signum is a psychic guardian. Someone who protects others from psychic attacks. Very hand to have around, eh what?" Lord Quixo quipped.

"Indeed, sir."

"Just damned lucky I don't rate that sort of attention from the Dominion, don't you know! It would make these meetings an awful mess."

"One would imagine so, sir." Kadmos said, shoeing away the purple dancers from around his lordships cup and then putting on an ingratiating smile to deflect the sudden odd look his new employer was giving him.