1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Tutorial

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kurik, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

The lack of tutorials and guides to help new players has been a pretty common complaint with newer MMOs like GW2 and PS2. Also a recent discussion at Massively suggests that MMOs should do more to explain roles and such for new players. In WildStar's case do you think it's important to have a fleshed out tutorial?

2. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

A well thought out tutorial is vital to a MMO'S success. In this day and age first impression's can make or break the game.

3. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

And as long you can skip it. I don't want to be forced to do the same tutorial over and over again when I'm starting an alt.

Michael72 and ObliviousPrime like this.
  4. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Exactly, me neither. I don't mind doing it the first time with my main, but after that I want straight into the game.

Michael72 likes this.
  5. Michael72

Michael72 Cupcake

Agree with Black Wolf and Dyraele here, it is a fine thing to have, but should not be obligatory for any new toon that you try.

6. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

Maybe it should be like most single-player games? A seperate thing? maybe going so far as to give you a few minutes as each class, and path, explaining how all the various concepts of the game works...

By that I mean when you first start the game you have two choices:

Play the Tutorial.
    Create a New Character.

Kurik Lein likes this.
  7. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I rather have something like in WoW. They put you straight in the action, displaying tips while you are playing. The gameplay is really simple at that stage, it's almost impossible to die. You can turn the tips off when you don't need them. But it's expected that you know some things. Like walking with AWSD keys and such things. But there is still a manual you can read.

So I want to see a good guide on the official website and in-game tips and tricks and not a whole full blown tutorial. That way you can read about the game while you are downloading or installing the game files and jump straight into the action when you press that play button.

Not that we will have that problem, because we will figure out everything in Beta, woot!

(Sorry Brad)

8. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

I think we could presume too much, if MMO's are to encourage and foster new gamers into the market then Wildstar needs to be 'foolproof' so to speak. I think a short tutorial mission is great (of course with the skip tutorial option in there) especially as this is a SciFi MMO. The tutorial hints mentioned above are a great enhancement. Maybe even there could be an optional addon which is kind of like a friendly robot guide giving hints and such ?

Everyone knows which end of the sword is the sharp bit and which end you hold wheras a Synchronous phase sphere with fission charging might be very different. What Im saying is because of the relatively new introduction of SciFi into human history we cant presume anyone has seen every Star Trek episode and every scifi movie. If its new its got to really have some kind of explanation somewhere to help newbies.

SWG took off so well because the concepts in there we already knew from the movies. Right away you knew who was good/bad and ugly. Some Wildstar players will be fresh off the street and dropped into this strange world, we need some way to give them the base knowledge of what is happening. Intro cinematic is usually only a few minutes at the most, so the tutorial has to add onto that and support them through their first experiences.

Me Im not going to risk anything.......Im going to shoot every bug I see just in case.

Kurik Lein likes this.
  9. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Agreed Maddog, the initial experience should not only get them familiar with the mechanics but the actual setting as well to hopefully get them hooked.

My dream system for helping players actually comes from a few JRPGs which had optional modules for players to get in-depth instructions on mechanics and gameplay. Imagine Captain Picard and the holodeck now imagine players going into that holodeck to learn more about the game. Now on top of that with the past discussions about machinimas maybe player made modules could be added as well provided they are helpful.

Maddog Charlie likes this.
  10. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Didn't CoH or Champions Online have a tutorial like level? You could also skip it for every new character you made.

11. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

If I am not totally wrong, we start off after landing on Nexus. I'd actually like the intro to mechanics and such to happen pre-landing. Like make the travelling commodity to Nexus the "starter isle" you never return to. Then when you get out of that by landing you know the mechanics somewhat and start exploring Nexus.

Kurik Lein, Tiktak and ObliviousPrime like this.
  12. Scooter

Scooter Former Carbine Alumni

Interesting... Something to note is that the Northern Wilds intro sequence begins with you crash-landing on Nexus, but it also starts you at level 3.

13. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Ohh, I see. :)

14. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Hmmm, very interesting indeed. I missed that. So now we get to speculate on what is done the first 2 levels. :cautious:

15. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

This is actually a discussion we've had before (over a year ago, so continuing the discussion in this thread is totally cool). I know I'd still love to see the the tutorial happen before landfall. And I still want it skippable. :p

16. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Great minds thinks alike? :whistling:

I have not had the luxery of trying the demo, otherwise I might have taken a note of that.

17. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

There was that mining asteroid mentioned in the recent art interview, maybe we'll be on a space station or a bigger ship at the very beginning.

ObliviousPrime likes this.
  18. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

It would be lovely if the exiles and Dominion start in diffrent places.

Like the Dominion can start from the Imperial fleet flag ship or space station / and the exiles from ...I don't know something less grand :p

19. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Hell no! The moment I log on into the (life) game, the first Dominion I see will feel the bottom of my shoe in his face while holding his guts in his hands and he wished he never left his mommies lap! No separate starting zones! ;)

20. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Wow Oblivious AKA Darth Dominion has an imperial flagship now ! .............hey I dont mind something less grand sweetheart, maybe the restaurant at the end of the universe ? .............heck they will have drinks and its about as far away from Domillion types as you can get .......thats a 'Win Win' :roflamo: