1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The What We Know So Far Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Mr.Mike, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Original Founder

Carbine Studios was established in June of 2005 and was originally founded by a number of seniors and leads who left Blizzard's World of Warcraft team after that game launched. NCsoft was very impressed with Carbine's founders, and signed the team on as an internal studio - the team has been quietly working ever since.

Since being founded with around 10 people, the team has grown to about 75, with experienced people from a large number of shipped MMOs.

Estimated budget of between $50 to $70 million.

Here are some of the most noteworthy quotes from Carbine developers found in past interviews.

The Development Team consists of devs who have worked on WoW, EQ, EQ2, Warhammer Online, Vanguard, Gods and Heroes, Pirates of the Burning Sea, City of Heroes and a number of other MMOs.

Carbine Studios' MMORPG will be a fusion of Sci-fi meets Fantasy. This is a fascinating theme and judging from the artwork revealed so far, it's shaping up to be a very visual appealing game both in terms of art style and the world itself.

The game will not be a WoW clone or a half ass attempt of a WoW knock off like the majority of MMOs hitting the market.

Carbine are taking a more holistic approach to storytelling through quests by not throwing up big walls of text. Instead they're trying to find out more interesting ways to tell a story through questing and even when your just out adventuring.

Carbine are focused on delivering a AAA and highly polished game at release. They know how extremely important it is to not launch with a game full of broken promises. The key to this is only reveal concrete information about the game and polish the hell out of the systems and features that mark it to release.

Carbine are not huge believers in wasting our time through quest timesinks. If there is no real purpose in getting us to complete a quest than it has no business being in the game.

Carbine are also trying to give us more way to advance our characters by not just killing things. As Jeremy explained above, quest grinding is also on their list to help players be able to level without doing the same thing over and over again.

Carbine have hinted that the game may contain dynamic elements to reduce stagnation of quests and the world in general. Obviously this has not been confirmed yet, but you can draw your own conclusions based on the quotes below from the MMO Gamer interview.

As well as hinting about dynamic content, Jeremy also hinted about some aspects of the game, in this case questing. To be more sandboxy than your typical theme park MMO.

Carbine are also implementing what it sounds like a pre-end game cushion that helps players transition from reaching max level to the end game content.

Carbine will include all the features we've grown to expect from our favourite MMOs. Plus things that we've always wished were included but had to rely on mods or in a lot of case we simply went without.

Carbine are targeting a wide audience so the game will be able to comfortably run on lower-end machines and look absolutely spectacular on high-end machines.

Social Networking sounds like it will play an important role for the game. The out of game advancement is really intriguing especially for casual players like myself. It's important to stress that Carbine are not targeting casual gamers, they're aiming to provide a game for all play types.

Carbine's tradeskills sounds like they will play an important role both for the economy and players since craftable items will be actually useful and not something you just sell to vendors.

We'll most likely create a wiki when more information is released. Stay tuned!
    QZX, R.J. and Brotoi like this.
  2. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

Very nice summary, Michael!
  3. R.J.

R.J. New Cupcake

Good job!
    What about game title speculation? Blighted Empire, Wildstar and so on :)
    Homeslice likes this.
  4. Doughboy

Doughboy New Cupcake

Been waiting quite a while to see what you folks are working on. Sounds interesting. Can't wait to learn more.

btw, howdy from Paragon City to Gaffer!
  5. Vyre

Vyre New Cupcake

Wow, awesome information. I'm excited to hear more!:)
  6. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Original Founder

I saw that article on mmocrunch.com - very interesting!
  7. QZX

QZX New Cupcake

We want more!! :)
  8. Padre Adamo

Padre Adamo New Cupcake

Seeing Jeremy's name alone involved in this project spiked my interest. I was an avid Asheron's Call fan/supporter/allegiance owner for many years. Some of my friends in that game I still talk to today and meet in RL. I'm really looking forward to what this game is all about :)