1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The WildStar FAQ, or: How I Learned to Look Before Asking (Updated: September 10, 2013!)

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by starspun, Aug 17, 2011.

1. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

A giant list of questions that are probably some of the most frequently asked about WildStar! Got any suggestions for changes or additions? Don't hesitate to reply, send me a message or poke me, or Yakzan, in the chat!

Special thanks to JarNod, ObliviousPrime, Shady, Moxxy and Yakzan for helping me getting this FAQ updated! It only took a year and a half in the end! (More like slackspun.)

Thanks a bunch to Ico for helping us update the FAQ this time around!

Q: What’s this WildStar thing I’ve been hearing about?
    A: WildStar is Carbine Studios’ debut game, an MMORPG set in a science fantasy universe, on a mysterious and dangerous planet called Nexus. This planet is home to the Eldan, the most technologically advanced race in the universe. These masters of science and magic mysteriously disappeared a thousand years ago, leaving the planet with a multitude of technologic and arcane secrets wide open for others to grab, while exposing themselves to the looming threat of... whatever happened to the Eldan.​

Carbine Studios was established in June 2005, but this project was kept under lockdown until the 17th of August, 2011. On this particular day, after a lot of teasing through the @Ark_Ship Twitter account, WildStar was finally revealed at gamescom 2011, with a spectacular debut trailer, live presentations and hands-on demonstrations.​

Q: So, why should I be interested? What features will it have that makes it stand out?
    A: That depends on what you're looking for. For starters, there is the Path system based on the Bartle Test that helps cater content to your playstyle.​

If you're looking for guild vs guild orientated combat, look no further than Warplots, where you can build up a fortress and battle against other guilds and their mansions of madness.​

Warplots is not the only PvP available, however! There will be arenas (2v2, 3v3, 5v5) at the elder game, along with battlegrounds which you can level with if you so choose. There will also be a PvP server ruleset with contested areas where factions are free to go at each other.​

Open World PvP will also be available in the launch game, currently however, Carbine have said incentives and objective based OPvP will come at a time post launch.​

What about some immersive and roleplaying orientated tools? There will be a wardrobe system and a dye system that allows for three different colour changes per piece of gear. In addition, there is a robust housing system with lots of customization along with a slew of things you can do with your little piece of virtual heaven that are still unannounced.​

Or wait, did you play during older, simpler times where you'd group up with 39 other people and take down that huge baddie? Look no further: WildStar promises to bring 40-man raids back to the forefront, along with the smaller 20-man raids. If that wasn’t enough raid configurations, such as the types of additional mobs a boss has, will change on a week to week basis! How’s that for a slice of fried raiding gold?​

There is also the combat system, which is no stand and shoot combat like you're used to. WildStar's combat is more action orientated and could be compared to Guild Wars 2 or TERA. To set itself apart it has the telegraph system where all abilities, yours and the enemies, are telegraphed on the ground so you know where to stand and where not to. This may seem simple but it can get more intense than you think!​

Q: Sounds awesome. When does beta start, and when will the game launch? UPDATED
    A: Closed beta testing started on April 10, 2013 but is on hiatus, aiming for starting again in October. If you’re signed up for beta, make sure to keep an eye on your inbox as the WildStar team are also running mass invite stress tests from time to time! The current launch window is Spring 2014.​

Q: Can you give out beta keys?
    A: Only Carbine is at liberty to send out closed beta invitations. Do not trust any other websites or people to provide you with a beta key. Please don't give out your personal information to those you don't trust. Carbine are also scraping for double registrations based on IP/similar e-mails, so multiple registrations doesn’t equal multiple chances!​

Q: What about the payment model, will it be P2P, B2P, F2P? UPDATED
    A: The payment model is a hybrid subscription model. It will require a box purchase, with 30 free days, after which will require a subscription to continue playing. However, it is possible to purchase C.R.E.D.D. (not CREED, I swear to god I'll punch you in the mouth) from the Commodity Exchange in-game from other players, a system similar to EVE's PLEX system. It is very much recommended to read this page for further details to avoid confusion.​

Q: Will the game have player factions?
    A: Players will be able to choose between two factions: the Dominion, and the Exiles. You can read a bit about the conflict between the two in the next section, because your beloved FAQ author is lazy and can’t be bothered rewriting it to answer this one properly.​

Q: What races will I be able to choose from?
    A: WildStar will offer players a selection of eight races. These have now been revealed to the public!​

The Dominion is led by the Cassians - humans native to the planet Cassus, chosen by the Eldan to rule the greatest empire in the entire galaxy. They are supported by the Mechari, sentient mechanical beings created by the Eldan to act as information-gatherers, and the Draken, fierce hunters and warriors who have respect for nothing but brute strength. Finally, filling the cute yet psychopathic demographic we have the Chua, the mad scientists of the Dominion, supplying it's war-machine with new ways of killing people for the past 1000 years!​

The Exiles are made up of Exiled humans, forced to flee their homes on Cassus after a disagreement with their government. With them are the golem-like Granok, fearless warriors with a hefty grudge towards the Dominion, and the animalistic Aurin who offered the humans a temporary refuge, only to have their home devastated by the Dominion as punishment. As for the Exiles dirty little secret, there are the Mordesh, once a great race of the Dominion, whom's stretch for immortality ruined their bodies and brought the Mordesh civilisation to near annihilation. Angered by the Dominion's abandonment in their time of crisis, they've allied themselves with the Exile in the hope of finding a cure on Nexus.​

As you undoubtedly have noticed, humans are mentioned twice here. One could argue that there really only are seven races (with five revealed), since one is shared across factions... but one will not. Because I said so.​

Q: Interesting! Now, how about classes?
    A: When it comes to classes, there will be six of them. As of this moment, only four have been announced:​

The Warrior is your balls-to-the-wall, sword swinging front line melee fighter. Clad in medium (and later heavy) armor, they bring the pain as well as they take it. Powered by Kinetic Cells, Warriors are capable tanks as well as vicious damage dealers.​

The Spellslinger is an agile pistoleer. Using a mix of magic and dual pistols, these lightly armored desperados use their spell surges and mana reserves to dish out considerable ranged damage, as well as supporting others with their healing abilities.​

The Esper is what you could consider the casters of WildStar. Using psychic energy powered by mana reserves and focus points, they are deadly foes on the battlefield. Wielding only light armor, these ranged damage dealers are also proficient healers, using their psychic prowess to both defend their allies and mend their wounds.​

The Stalker is your quintessential predator. Using special stealth technology and energized alloy clawblades, these deadly assassins can quickly take out their prey from the shadows. Stalkers are also capable of keeping an enemy's attention to protect his allies.​

Q: What types of weapons will there be?
    A: WildStar currently has 1 weapon type per class, these are as follows:​
    Warrior : Tech Sword​
    Stalker : Plasma Claw​
    Esper : Psyblade​
    Spellslinger : Dual Pistols​

These weapons will come in all shapes and sizes, so hold off with the pitchforks and torches as there’s plenty of variety to come!​

Q: I also heard about something called a "Path system", what's this?
    A: When you create your character, aside from gender, race and class, you also get to choose between four paths. This choice will essentially add another layer of content tailored to your playstyle preference.​

If you're the kind of player that just has to see what's right around the next corner or just over that hill, the Explorer is probably a good choice for you. If you're really into collecting things, whether they're shiny or just interesting tidbits of knowledge, you'd probably enjoy the Scientist. If you like to interact with people and work with them to improve the overall gameplay experience for everyone around you, the Settler might just hit the spot. And, finally, if you just like to smack mobs around - especially hordes of them - you should take a peek at the Soldier!​

If you want a better look of what the paths have to offer, check out the Paths DevSpeak and even Agent Voxine's class on paths!​

Paths are advanced separately from your class, and it’s not yet known whether the choice will be permanent - but it most likely will be.​

Q: I saw this gameplay video and it looked like the character gender, race and class were pre-selected and locked, is this for real?!
    A: Fret not, what you saw was a selection of demo characters - Carbine did this so people could make a quick choice and jump straight into the game. In the finished product, your character’s gender, race and class (and path!) are independent choices. While there will be some restrictions (an Aurin cannot be a Warrior, for example), you are in no way limited to a male Granok Warrior, male Human Spellslinger, or female Aurin Esper.​

Q: What about character customisation?
    A: We got a taste of the character customization at PAX East 2013 with a video to boot! We do know that our gear will be visually customizable, with both a costume system, and a dye system. Each piece of equipment will, apparently have three dye channels each - that means there’ll be a whole lot of color combinations per item!​

On top of this, each race and class in WildStar is designed to be recognisable from a distance, or from their “silhouette”, that being said, there is already a wide array of different styles and different height/width sliders to allow you to make your character look just how you want them to. There won’t be any 2ft Humans or 10 foot Draken though!​

Additionally, most items in the game are modifiable, allowing for even further non-visual customization.​

Q: What are the system requirements?
    A: We do not know the final system requirements for WildStar, but to participate in the beta test, these are the minimum specifications:​

CPU: Intel Pentium Core2 Duo 2.4 GHz, AMD Phenom X3 2.3 GHz, or better​
    RAM: 4GB​
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, ATI Radeon HD 3850, or better​
    Operating Systems: Windows XP SP2 (64-bit) or later. 32-bit systems are not supported during beta​

Q: What’s the level cap?
    A: From what we learned at PAX East 2013, the level cap is currently 50.​

Q: Will there be raids? If yes, how big will they be?
    A: Raids are most definitely in, and will come in both 20- and 40-man sizes. Each raid is designed for a single size - a 20-man raid will be a completely different map and have other content than a 40-man. Retuned raids, begone!​

Q: I don’t really like raiding - will there still be things for me to do at level cap?
    A: Absolutely! Regular content updates (which are planned to happen every month) will provide new story quests tailored towards solo players. If you’re the dungeoneering type, 5-man dungeons will have two modes: regular (which you do while leveling) and expert (unlocked at cap). There will also be a new type of content called Adventures. However, nothing much is known about them other than being more open and puzzle elements will be involved.​

Q: What sort of PvP features will we be seeing?
    A: This is what we know right now: battlegrounds, arenas and warplots. Battlegrounds are what you’d expect them to be... but what are warplots? Simply put, guild warfare! Using the housing system, guild-like groups called warparties will be able to build their very own fortresses (in the sky), and head into battle against other warparties. How cool is that?!​

Players will have individual Elo ratings for each of these features, which will be used for both matchmaking and determining what kind of PvP rewards you'll be able to purchase for your character.​

Each feature will also have an option for unrated play, where players are matched by their gear. Your successes (and failures) will have no effect on your rating these games, so it's a good way to practice your skills without possibly messing with your ratings - or just to familiarize yourself with the maps!​

Q: What’s crafting going to be like?
    A: Very little is known about crafting. However, we did get a sneak peak about what is in store with the Circuit Board Crafting (CBC) system.​

Q: Will there be mounts/vehicles and pets in the game?
    A: Yes to both! When it comes to mounts and vehicles, WildStar will feature ground based rides and even giant space rhinos wrapped in explosives. There will also be vanity pets and “systems that support them”. We don’t know about combat pets yet.​

Q: What about flying mounts? UPDATED
    A: Flying mounts were confirmed for the game yes, the world of Nexus has also been built from the ground up to support flight. However, due to feedback, the issue of flying mounts was in heavy discussion at Carbine. Current info confirms that flying mounts won't be in at launch.​

Q: How big is Nexus exactly?
    A: The current amount of in-game space totals roughly 400 square kilometers, spread over multiple continents and off world territories, ranging from asteroids to space stations! Continents will also be seamless within themselves allowing you uninhibited travel between sub-zones!​

Q: Will WildStar have addon support?
    A: WildStar has had addon support for a long time, if what Carbine says is true. They've been using it extensively to help develop their default UI as testers and other developers within the company have been using their robust tools to customize and create addons that are to their liking. They're aiming to have these tools ready at launch with extensive documentation, as well as making it as accessible as possible for addon creators or even dabblers in programming to create the addons they want.​

Q: Is this an official WildStar site run by Carbine themselves?
    A: Nope! This an entirely fan run site led by the benevolent Zap-Robo and his group of ever-vigilant moderators. Do take the time to introduce yourself and join in on the multitude of interesting discussions our excellent community provides!​

Q: What do I need to watch to stay on top of all this?
    A: Carbine have been releasing a new piece of information every Wednesday (dubbed, WildStar Wednesday, or WSW for short). Older articles can be tracked via the official news page here. Then once you’re all caught up, just keep your eyes open every Wednesday afternoon/evening (US timezones)!​
    Devishten, Sinkuu, Demoses and 30 others like this.
  2. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Original Founder

Great work! Stickied.
    lelouch likes this.
  3. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

Wow...very impressive! Nice work, starspun!
  4. WarpCode

WarpCode New Cupcake

Awesome work spunspun. Now if only the forum could check new posts against this FAQ before it created the post and referred those users to read the FAQ...
  5. Oabe

Oabe Cupcake-About-Town

hmm that may work.. but you know they would find a way around it
  6. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

Yesterday I talked to a guy from Carbine ( I think his name was Tony) and he said that they are planning to release the Beta next year and the Game 2013 or 2014.
  7. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

Beta next year and release in 2-3 years? X_x (nooo)
  8. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

Its better they take their time and do it right than have some bugfest^^
  9. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

You're 100% right. But it still pity if we have to wait so long.
  10. Stephan Langø

Stephan Langø New Cupcake

True story
  11. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

I'm fine with the wait. It will give me time to get sick of SW:TOR and re-visit all my old games. Or, if I get into beta I'll at least have played SW:TOR and probably gotten to a point where I will be fine with putting it down during testing phases.
  12. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

strange, they made it sound as if the game was further along than that. i mean most mmos do beta registrations 2 years prior to release and sometimes sooner. wonder why they boasted that they were different in this respect by putting up a beta registration at announcement?
  13. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

Every closed beta I've personally been in the registration was six months from server opening or less, usually less. The shortest was only two weeks. There have been games that had longer wait times, but generally speaking I either didn't register or didn't bother once they finally put the beta server online. That they began taking registrations at the time of announcement, and that they had such a polished demo, I find very encouraging. It would surprise me greatly if they took more than 90 days to grant access to the first round of testers. My one fear is that they will start closed beta while I'm in Japan (I leave Ohio on October 17th for six weeks in Japan). If they do, then I guess I will have to max out a credit card and buy a hot gaming laptop or something.
  14. Frozenoak

I watched the trailer Again. Every time I watch it the Drinking Granok strikes my fancy but it does make me wonder; do we know what rating Carbine Studios is shooting for on this game? It may be a FAQ.
  15. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

For the GC the USK (german rating) gave Wildstar a 12 year rating.
  16. Frozenoak

Is that like our E-10+? or Teen?
  17. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

In germany the most mmorpgs become a USK 12 rating. (WoW,Aion,Rift...) so i would say E-10+
    But when i look at amazon.com all of the named mmorpgs get a Teen.
  18. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Minimal Wikipedia research says it's equivalent (roughly) to Teen
  19. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Adding that now, thank you! A Teen rating doesn't seem farfetched when you consider the Granok in the trailer, as well as Carbine Clue #2 (although the Granok could be drinking soda or something) - and that it's pretty much the standard.
  20. Frozenoak

To be honest it doesn't much matter to me. I'd be fine with M but they'd sell more if they kept it to teen. I think this is where most MMO's end up. I think the fact that anybody can say/do pretty much anything they want (at least until someone reports them) would almost force a Teen out of the ESRB. I could be wrong.