1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The WildStar Roleplay ArkshipEU Lore Compilation

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Ender, May 3, 2013.

1. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

During ArkshipEU, we got a chance to talk some lore with the devs, especially Chad Moore and Troy Hewitt. I created a small compilation of some of the stuff we got during the weekend for WildStar Roleplay, that we were allowed to share, and I figured there might be some lore enthusiasts here as well who might appreciate it :)
    Thank you to Patrician, Renaise, Fenwick and Hrothgar from WildStar Roleplay (well, Patrician is pretty active here too) for helping me gather this info, and especially Fenwick for keeping a pretty good log that helped me add a bunch of stuff to my own list.

Please be aware that this is in no way meant to be a full list of all the lore we know. This is only some of the stuff we talked with the devs about during Arkship, so it's a bit scattered, but there's some clarifications and such in there that I personally think are pretty nice :)

Enjoy!

The Galaxy and the story up to “Present Time”:
    First, a bit of general info about the galaxy in general and the lore regarding the conflict up until the game is set. It’s a bit scattered, most of it is coming from conversations and short “interviews”, and there’s still some stuff we/they can’t talk about, so I hope you can live with the fact that the information isn’t always 100% connected :D

So, let’s start!

There has been quite a bit of talk about the size of the galaxy and how many planets there were. Chad said that it’s unlikely that there are that many inhabited planets. Nexus is a very important find for several reasons, one of them being that it is pretty much the Exile’s last hope -at all-, but more about that in a moment.

So basically, don’t expect Star Wars or Star Trek. There’s not going to be hundred of planets with aliens living on them that your character could have visited before coming to Nexus :)

Now, I mentioned that it was the last hope of the Exiles, and here’s a bit more detail about that.
    We know the Exiles went to Arboria and met the Aurin there. This also, sadly, led to the Dominion discovering the planet, and they promptly started the destruction. The Exiles saved some of the Aurin, but some still remained, however, their fate is unknown.

The Exiles pretty much all lived on a single Arkship, the Gambler’s Ruin. While there are other ships around of various sizes, there are no other Arkships. Gambler’s Ruin served as home for pretty much all the Exiles, and was pretty massive, with stuff like stores scattered around in it.

I asked if there were other adventurers looking for Nexus or at least something similar, and Chad clarified that there really wasn’t that much, in fact, most people didn’t believe that Dorian would ever find anything. He had an idea about Nexus and possible where it was, but when he went out, it was pretty much into the unknown, and it was no small journey.

In the meantime, the Exiles on the Gambler’s Ruin were pretty much screwed. They got some of the Aurin off Arboria, but there was really nowhere to go, and they were pretty sure that it was only a matter of time before the Dominion would be cracking down on them. So when Dorian returned with news of the Nexus, it was quite literally their final, desperate chance.

And speaking of: As we all know, time in MMOs is a tricky thing, as the game’s start might not be the same time as the game’s ending, and everybody could technically be in different stages of the timeline. However, Chad explained that the game is set roughly around 1665, plus/minus. So around 5-10 years after the destruction of Arboria, and the time when Dorian first discovered the planet. This means generally speaking, unless your Aurin is a teenager, they would have been beyond childhood when the planet was destroyed :)

Ok, that bring us on to slightly more specific stuff regarding the various races. We didn’t get the same amount of info on all the races, but this won’t be the last lore talks we have with Chad, so I’m sure more stuff will get filled out down the line.

Races:
    Cassian:
    • Religion: While there are a lot of details Chad couldn’t go into, as we’ve gotten hints of in the videos, the Cassians definitely follow a religion involving the Eldan, and they do have churches.
    • They are not originally from Cassus, but we don’t know where they actually were from. They have however been on Cassus for quite a bit.
    • Also, the punishment for a defecting Cassian would almost certainly be death.
    Human:
    • The Exile humans do not share the Cassians Eldan-centric beliefs. In fact, we’re not quite sure if they believe in anything at all.
    Granok:
    • Granok are described as silicon life forms, they aren't inanimate, they're sentient organisms that have full cycles.
    • They, as we know, follow The Way of the Stone.
    • They do seem to live for a long time, though we can’t say exactly how long
    • They might chip when... Well, #WildStarTMI
    Draken:
    • The Draken follow a religion revolving around a blood rites, including blood sacrifices and rituals.
    • They do not share the belief of the Cassians and the Mechari, and the Dominion doesn’t force them to because... well would YOU try to FORCE the Draken to do anything?
    • They give birth to live offspring. No eggs.
    Mechari:
    • They are of course tied in with the Cassians belief in the Eldan.
    • They are not droids or robots as such. You can’t program or reprogram a Mechari for instance, and they don’t generally have an operating system.
    • They eat and drink, and yes, they can get drunk ;-)
    • They are the founders and leaders of the ICI (though other races can be agents too)
    • There is no secret Mechari handshake
    • In fact, they are quite the individuals, and if a Mechari thought that another Mechari were a threat to the Dominion, they would not hesitate to withhold information from them or even eliminate them
    • They feel very responsible for the success of the Dominion

Aurin:
    • Unlike Gnox and Mikros, there were no attempt at making the Aurins part of the Dominion, they went straight to the bulldozers (or Planet Reapers as it were).
    • Their religion is centered around something called “The Weave”. The (female) leaders of smaller Aurin societies can interact with the Weave in still unexplained ways.
    • Female Aurin are generally taller than male Aurin
    • Aurin can have blue and green skin, possibly more.
    • They do not all have animal ears, they can also have more wing-like ears. We’ve seen bat wings already, but there are more.
    • They might have another set of “human” ears too, though there were some debate about that even among the devs, and no model could provide us with definite proof. More research is needed :D
    • As mentioned, not all Aurin were saved for Arboria, but we don’t know what happened to the ones that stayed

Other stuff
    And now to general stuff!

• There is a written language, however, it’s not entirely represented in game. You can’t translate the signs you come across in game, so don’t try.
    • Scan-bots are not distributed by Protostar, they grew from development on both sides. They can have AI software, and it’s these various AIs can sometimes illustrate various “personalities.”
    • While each race might have had (or still have) their own languages at some point, currently, they all talk a shared, universal language. No, this has nothing to do with cross faction communication, which is still covered by the NDA, so please don’t ask about that. This merely refers to how the different races communicate with each other within their own factions.
    • Magic is technically something everyone can learn, however, some people are born with more affinity for it than others. An Esper will generally have a stronger grasp of the purely magic side than say, a Spellslinger, who uses their guns to focus the magic. However, it’s not impossible to have a Spellslinger who technically could have been an Esper if they wanted to, but just prefers to use the guns. Generally speaking, an Esper would probably be more in tune with the magic than a Spellslinger.
    • There’s some more lore about magic I think people will love that I sadly can’t go into detail with, but it’s generally fascinating stuff!
    • Espers are telekinetic but not telepathic. No mind reading, fellas!
  2. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Awesome stuff, thank you for bringing this information over from Wildstar-Roleplay, and also thanks to the arkship EU attendees who gathered all of this awesome information. It is nice to hear that the Draken give live birth, I am always on the prowl for new Draken info.
    Screenager likes this.
  3. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Nice!!! This is probably my favorite thing to come out of Arkship. :D Thank you so much for sharing all of this, Ender, and to the others as well for talking lore. (That's something that sadly gets overlooked or forgotten it seems when asking the devs questions, so definitely appreciate that!) What were Chad and Troy like in person? :)

I learned great many things from these answers you managed to acquire! For instance, I had no idea the Mechari weren't like robots in the way we think of them as. It seems the Eldan's technology for creating automatons was far beyond your standard droid and instead was more close to actually creating real lifeforms. :eek: The bit about languages was interesting too. I'm really curious about learning more about magic now, as my main character has some influential background history revolving around that.

Great stuff! I'm going to have to save this information for reference. Thanks so much again, and also thanks to Carbine for allowing you to share some of this info with the rest of us!! ^__^
  4. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I do kind of wonder how Mechari are made or, well. Born. They've been fairly clear that a Mechari isn't just a simple AI, but an actual sentient thing just as much as any other race. It's generally assumed they can live forever. Even one of the "Meet the...." interviews with a mechari suggested that there are mechari that are a couple thousand years old.

As far as how long each race lives, I've only heard that Granok are 'Long Lived" and Mechari can be "couple thousand years". With technology, I guess it's okay to assume that humans could live to be around a hundred on average.
  5. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

This is awesome information! Thank you for putting this together. I am confused about the Granok though... we know that Stonebreaker fought back and he and his followers were cast out of The Way of Stone. Does this new information mean that the exiled Granok decided to take back up the following even though it would have meant the destruction of their entire species?

To me, these dude(tte)s are much more happy to be unaffiliated with any sort of all-encompassing religion or philosophy... I figured they liked the Exiles' agnosticism? So I guess not the case?
  6. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

They were amazing, so much fun to hang out with! It was really thrilling to see how excited they were to talk with us about lore and the community and everything, and I think we made Chad quite happy by having so many questions for him regarding lore ^^

If I hadn't already been sold on WildStar (and I were), I most definitely would be now, after seeing how much passion the devs have for their game, and how much they care about the community, all of us. They are an amazing bunch of people!
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  7. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Awesome, glad to see some of this info is coming out of Arkship. I know people were dying to find out! Thanks Ender!
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Best surprise of all is the Mechari one :up:

Love it tbh :inlove:
  9. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Thanks for putting this together, Ender! :) I can't wait to learn more about the different religions.
  10. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Thanks so much for posting this here, Ender! :)

As I said over on WSRoleplay, I really appreciate any and all new lore info! ^______^

Like Fate, I'm really curious to know how magic works :p. It's not just 'magic' in a throwaway sense, you make it sound like there's a very specific set of rules which governs who can use it and how it's used, and where it comes from. :D

I'll also say it again here - I think it's really cool that the Dominion which was built on the idea of an Eldan-bestowed Destiny doesn't force the surrounding religious mythos onto member races like the Draken. For all their evils, it's pretty sweet that they at least allow Freedom of Religion. :p

As for the language thing, that was actually a mini-project I began and abandoned :p. I put together an image just collecting the language from various screenshots :p. In the middle, you can see a sign from the town of Gallow in Algoroc along with a sign from some other place in Galeras where it looks like the symbols match up, so I was going to hazard a guess that the language was legit and just used a character system like Japanese which would be hard to translate :p. I guess it's good to know that it's not actually possible. :p

[​IMG]
    Ender and Heart in the Stars like this.
  11. Hezrou

Hezrou Cupcake-About-Town

This is indeed an interesting discovery. I enjoyed reading it! ^-^
  12. Zenatsu

Zenatsu Cupcake-About-Town

Wonderful write-up but I just skimmed a few parts.

I want to learn the lore as I play the game (makes leveling an alt much more fun)
  13. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

awesome necro,

2 thumbs up +