1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

This might make you mad

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Malachi, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Malachi

Malachi Cupcake-About-Town

I know it made me mad. But decide for yourselves!

Quick summary: a bunch of sports elitists talk about professional League of Legends players and ridicule them, calling what they are doing "not a sport" and is "just a game". Cuz, you know, apparently football and basketball and baseball and hockey and soccer and a billion other sports aren't games.

Destian likes this.
  2. Malachi

Malachi Cupcake-About-Town

One of the youtube commenters made a great point in reference to to these morons calling the LoL fanbase "crazy": no, the ones who are truly crazy are the ones who flip cars and cause riots over their team winning or losing.
    Kusiga and Destian like this.
  3. Ralphie2449

Ralphie2449 Cupcake

why would some random strangers' silly opinion make me mad? :p

though the storm that it causes tbh is kinda funny, especially if you have pop corn
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I'm a Chua....i'm mad by default :D
  5. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

The Western market as a majority will always see games as "just a game".

Sorry... :/
  6. C1d0s

C1d0s Cupcake

Give it a few decades, along with a few major leaps in technological fields such as VR and other once-imaginary developments. It'll become less of a "game", then. Until then, I doubt the stigma will be going anywhere for a while.

Besides that, what would you expect from sports casters and journalists? They've probably never played a video game in their life, and if they did it probably pertained to their preferred sport. I honestly don't expect those types, especially in that age bracket, to come around to the idea of e-sports.
  7. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

The Moon, or Outerspace but sometimes Earth
    They are all old, who cares what they think. Sports are evolving and although the dictionary definition doesn't apply "yet" to E-Sports; it's only a matter of time before it does.
    What makes the "Cyber athlete" is Physical Reflex and Mental Reflex along with a higher than average aptitude to quickly recognize and adapt to the opponent. It's like Chess but on a completely different level.
    They don't understand because they are from a completely different generation.

Let the Haters Hate.
  8. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Athletes that put in extreme physical and mental training to be competitive cannot be put the same league as someone that mashes keys.

As for the games and sports argument, Why isn't family feud an international sport?

I would be more offended by them saying there is a correlation with playing games and being a nerd/must go to star trek conventions.
  9. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

Family feud is a game show and it takes no skill to play.
    Jeopardy on the other hand, that would be as close to a mental sport as possible.
    Being a Professional Gamer isn't about "mashing keys" that's a pretty ignorant statement.
    Comparing a Pro Gamer to a Non-Pro is like taking a Pro Football player against a High School Football player.

The fact that makes E-Sports a Sport, is that you can measure Skill, even without the physical aspect you can tell who is good/great and who isn't. This is why competitive gaming is going to be considered a sport.

If Chess would've been played for millions of dollars it could've been the first non-athletic competitive game/sport/profession. It had momentum back in the 50s-70s but there weren't corporate sponsers that could push it into the mainstream as a competition.

In a Game like LoL and eventually WS, it will also be a Team game, which takes tremendous strategy and coordination along with counter strategies. Once again, you can measure Skill.

There are people that say Baseball and Basketball aren't sports, they say it's "a game". I've been in debates with people who take this stance and it makes no sense to me. They say Baseball players aren't athletes because most of the time they are just standing or sitting around waiting. They fail to realize the strategy of Baseball. Also, people say Basketball isn't a sport because it's just "getting a ball to go in a hoop", I'm not making this up either, some people don't think it's a sport because of that and there isn't any Physical contact in it. In America, Soccer isn't as popular as it is in the rest of the world because of this same stigma no physical contact= not a sport, to these people.

Professional Gamers put in a lot of time into the game the specialize in, I really think folks are downplaying how hard it is. Being a Pro Gamer is hard, it's very hard.

I say give it time, in a few more years I'm almost 100% positive things are going to be even bigger than now and eventually it will be recognized as it's own classification (I don't think the term "E-sport" will stay) but it will be recognized as a true competition and not some joke that Bryant Gumble makes with his friends who all got their starts back in the 60s.
  10. Mykor

Mykor Cupcake-About-Town

I guess it comes down to your definition of what a sport is. To me, sport implies "physical activity". As such, I do not include gaming as a sport. But I will not deny that it takes a lot of skill and effort to play it at those levels.
    Just because it's on ESPN does not make it a sport (darts, poker, pool). At the same time, I do not trivialize the effort required to play darts, poker, pool, etc

I am one who do not believe baseball is a sport. After all isn't it the US national pastime? If you can be out of shape to play it.... it is not a sport.
    The majority of the players on the field are not actively moving. One that is, is the pitcher, hence why unlike his teammates, cannot play everyday. But why consider baseball a sport when only 11% (1 out of 9) of the players are actively moving?

It has nothing to do with the strategy of the game, the high skill required to hit a 90mph ball, etc but simply a matter of physical effort. Some professional baseball players will never be poster boys for physical fitness.

So corporate sponsors and big payouts make it a sport? Why would you consider e-gaming a sport and not chess? Sounds a bit like a double standard. How popular a sport is, shouldn't be used as a measurement.

For informational purposes, here is the definition of sport:
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
  11. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

You don't understand what I'm saying.
    It's not that having sponsers makes it a sport, it's that with sponsers you can begin to advertise and market yourself and begin to change the stigma that it isn't a sport. It's not about the money, it's about the public opinion and reaching a large market, hence why chess could've been the first. If you don't understand how much marketing can change public opinions then it's really pointless for you to even have a opinion on what I'm talking about.

I already talking about the definition of sports and why I believe it'll change but you missed basically everything.
    p.s. You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Baseball either
  12. Mykor

Mykor Cupcake-About-Town

First off, I find this subject interesting and would like to see more posts in this thread without it being closed due to it becoming a flame war. As such, your PS comment doesn't bring any value to the table and you should refrain from posting them.
    My questions were exactly that, questions... not an attack. A means for you to clarify your point of view.
    Additionally, I did mention in my post that I do not belittle the effort that is needed to play baseball, darts, poker, etc

Back to the subject at hand, the only marketing that will change that stigma is when your doctor says "You are a few pounds overweight. After dinner, why don't you go for a walk, logon to LoL, or play some soccer?"
    Online gaming is a sedentary activity and have little value in terms of physical well-being.
  13. Gotti

Gotti New Cupcake

people will always ridicule the true gamers!
  14. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

No, your analogy isn't remotely close to being true or even close to what I'm talking about and you are really underselling how much marketing opens up doors.
    I'm not trying to start a flame war either but it's like talking to a brick wall and no matter how I try and dumb down things you just aren't getting it, so really why participate in a discussion if you aren't going to open your thought process up and think outside your box?
  15. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

What do you consider the ''Western market''?!?!?!

BEcause I want to say ''Speak for yourself'' really hard in YOUR FACE!
    You know why?
    Because here in the Netherlands we see the good of games, docters play games to increase their surgery skills.
    School have tablets for their kids to learn for things they are weak in. We are going towards having ''3D-Touch-boards'' in class (still takes some years though), seeing as we now only have ''Smart-boards'' (they are not as great as the 3D-touch ones).

However I do agree that a lot of the parts in America still hold off from those ''enhancements'' within their school systems or in other things.

And those are just ''some'' examples. No if I hear the stories of countries around us, then i'm proud of the Netherlands in their acceptence of technology in daily life.
  16. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

I was referring to NA. Most of the news media groups and politicians are blaming video games for all the violence and rage kids have now of days. I highly doubt in America, we'll see anything like E-Sports "Blowing up" for a very long time.

I'm aware how the Netherlands are when it comes to video games. Dreamhack... :inlove:
  17. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

Uhh Blizzcon? You know SC2 and WoW run tournaments for money? You know there are a decent amount of games that are classified as "E-Sports" are played here competitively. The whole thing with E-Sports started Here and in Asian Countries, not in Europe.
  18. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Aye, but the seperation between non-gamers and gamer in America is still HUGE! While in some other countries that gap is slowly closing, as it is in my country.

Let me guess......America is still in the time of ''anti-gaming lobby's''????
    That's so 1995........:p
  19. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

That makes no sense, the market for video games is much much bigger here in the states. I mean a lot of the games that come out, are developed here or in asian. If you look at worldwide sales for almost any major release the sales are going to reflect that NA sells more copies of that game.
    Close to 14BILLION dollars was spent on video games in the States, it's DOUBLE that of the next closest market which was Asia.
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well if I consider that the States is atleast X times bigger then our small country..... (if you were tlaking to me since you didn't quote anyone).
    OFCOURSE they have a bigger market.....:coffee: doesn't mean it is ''accepted'' as well as in other countries.