1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

This might make you mad

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Malachi, Dec 18, 2013.

1. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

The Moon, or Outerspace but sometimes Earth
    You are guessing that it isn't as accepted. Sales directly contradict what you are guessing
    I'm not comparing it just to your country, Sales aren't broken down by individual states or in your case Country. It's taking into account ALL of Europe and it's still not even close to what we in the states play.
    Video games are a big deal here and they are widely accepted and you may get a few weird folks on TV from time to time talking about X game should be banned but that doesn't matter because people still buy it, in fact when Parents/Politicians get up on the soapbox about a game it just increases sales of that game.

So while you may want to believe that our country doesn't accept games compared to how your country does, it's just not accurate to say that.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

It's accurate to say that, because the evidence is all over your country. True it becomes less and less and that's a good thing, you guys have great events also because you have more people. But we were talking about games in general and their acceptance in the life of non-gamers. In the Netherlands we don't really have those hardcore anti politicians anymore (for some time now).

It shows that it even get's accepted among non-gamers. While you can only argue against me by taking the whole of europe and including gamers.

Doesn't matter if the sales amongst GAMERS go up if a politician talks bad about it, I was talking about that politician (the non-gamer).
    How is the integration of games in the school systems of the states? How is the implementation of technology in other things?

And don't come again with the ''oh but we have high sales rates''......my first post was about the non-gamer within the states.
  3. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

Uhh lol you don't even know what our technology is in schools but you say yours is more accepted?
    Go google technology in schools or in the classrom, I think you would be surprised.
    If you really want to make a bold statement like how games and tech are accepted in the States vs Your country, then you should be the one to look for that information. I'm not going to do your homework for you lol
    You are going to be very very very surprised since you believe that we are just Mongos when it comes to tech lol
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Nope I know. Those were rhetorical questions we had a complete topic about the acceptance of games within the US months ago. And i've talked to many people (from the US) that comfirmed what I suspected. So either you're saying that around 8-10 people on this forum from the US were just lying to me, aswell as teachers from the US who came to the Netherlands and that we spoke to about this subject. Or you have no idea about the differences between both the countries on those subjects.

However I do apologise for not clarifying the meaning of my personal use of the word ''school-system'' as I meant the primary-school.

And no I don't think you guys are some kind of ''mongos'' (except mayby the redneck etc.), and I find it strange, so say the least, that you are almost willing to think that, that was my tought process about the people of the USA.
    Clearly you aren't one for a ''normal'' discussion, seeing that first you completely took my text into a different context (suddenly bringing in the entire NA and Europe community and the gamers community in a discussion that was about non of those, next implying I think so low about you guys).

It's a shame.....:(
  5. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

You made a claim and I disagreed with it and brought facts to support why I disagree. You used a broad statement: Games aren't accepted there like they are here where I live. Which I supplied statistics of Sales that directly refute that statement.
    Then you say you are talking about Tech and schools, I inform you of how much you would be surprised if you actually look at google and the news. You say you already know the answer because you talked to a few teachers and a few people online which means you know exactly how every school in the States are.

The amount of tech in many of the schools is impressive and I let you know, that if you wanted to really know the truth on a broad scale you can look for it and tbh, it's on the first page of google from some pretty respectable newspapers, as well as different federal government programs that directly contribute money towards having top of the line equipment.

I love having conversations but not if no matter what I say or information I provide to directly contradict that statement/opinion it's impossible to change the other persons mind.

Let's reverse rolls? How about you provide facts to me that directly show your opinion to be correct?
    I mean, maybe I am wrong but it's hard for me to know that since you haven't given me any facts other than what someone told you (which isn't a fact btw, that is hearsay).

So could you take some time and provide something to change my mind?
  6. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

I think the last time schools had gaming on a computer was Oregon Trail on the Mac Classic or the Apple IIe. Politically the US is not a gaming country, Just look at our universities. They will make cuts in the science department but never attack their athletics.

Also the US media system is run by old money and old money hates the new media and pro gaming for example is powered by the new media, They openly stream for free on the internet. The old media like ESPN hates the internet because it lets the viewer have control... Old media hates the viewer having any control at all. If ESPN controlled the showing of pro gaming you can bet the days of free streams online would end.

Sadly I get the feeling too many here in the US still have a "jock mentality", If someone mentions in public their kid topped out on SATs and is going to MIT and already has an offer from NASA when they graduate... people will smile and say nice.... On the other hand a parent with a kid who has a full football scholarship to OSU and will be a good NFL prospect will get people overly excited. Yes people think running down astroturf with a brown elongated ball is a greater achievement than becoming a rocket scientist.
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I made a claim and you ''refuted'' it by giving a fact about Sales in the states compared to Asia? ASIA?!?!?! and you call that a FACT?!?!?! in a discussion about The Netherlands vs the USA? Tell me how that is a fact that contributes to this discussion?!?!?!
    What does that add in a discussion about the implementation of Tech in school systems and other things like that?
    See my first sentence about that:

I again apologise for not seeing the ''benefits'' of bringing Sales figures of the States in comparison to Asia in a discussion about the implementation of Tech in school systems and other things within the States in comparison to the Netherlands.

So again i'll say what my first point was:
    Sales of games for gamers has NOTHING to do with this.
  8. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

Espn is owned by Disney, which owns a lot of other networks and just a lot of other things that I can't even list.
    We have some of the best Universities in the world, people from foreign countries work their butts off to go to College here. As for cuts, It depends on the school, There have been programs that made huge cuts to the AD over the years, just off the top of my head I can think of Grambling State and Tulane, Tulane almost cut the Football program entirely a few times.

Big Division I-A schools who thrive on sports to fund the academic programs like for example Michigan, Duke, Kansas, are also some of the best Colleges in the Country. Even Harvard has Football/Basketball/Hockey and many of the big schools like those I listed, are private schools who don't receiving government funding like a State College would.
  9. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

First off, you need to relax if this is a discussion.

Secondly there was a statement made about the gap between gamers and non-gamers and how it's accepted which is why I provided the data and sales figures. If something isn't accepted then it wouldn't have high sales figures. You didn't actually say anything about how it was accepted in schools until after I had provided sales figures, basically you changed the subject.

Thirdly, you haven't provided any facts to back up your claim.

Here, let's just get straight to it and stop dwellin in this past back and forth he said / he said, i am really not trying to get into a argument.
    So let's provide facts ok?
  10. Blackfurball

Blackfurball Cupcake

Is Chess a Sport?
    Is Poker a Sport?

I don't think so. So in my opinion League of Legends is not a sport. Sport on my definition needs to have physical effort.

I also don't consider sports:

Car Racing
    Riding Horse

But that is just my opinion. You are free to have a different definition os Sport.

BTW I love Chess, Poker, Car Racing and E-Sports.
  11. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

This is why I am somewhat unhappy with the IOC... They want to remove wrestling from the Olympics. yet they keep the bull<REDACTED> horse activities?

IMO they should nuke the Equestrian "sports" and bring back Baseball. I am sorry but that thing where they jump a horse over a fence is not a sport.... Its jumping a horse over a fence... The only mounted sport with jumping that is sporting would be BMX.
  12. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

Well what about things like Archery and Skeet shooting?
  13. Blackfurball

Blackfurball Cupcake

Is that a Physical skill? IMO yes... so I do think they are Sports.
  14. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

Jumping horses is pretty physical also though if you compare it to someone shooting a gun or bow and arrow.
  15. Stich

Stich Cupcake

you mean the guys getting paid STUPID amounts of money for a WEEKEND hobby, im sorry but all sports and athletes shouldn't be made, to seem like gods, since all the camera men show us is people playing a weekend hobby
    Destian likes this.
  16. Destian

Destian Cupcake-About-Town

Careful, man.

Saying NASCAR isn't a sport in the wrong part of the country is a great way to get dragged 30 miles while tied to the back of a pickup. :\
  17. Blackfurball

Blackfurball Cupcake

Well the ones that don't like my comment will have to go deep south of America to get me here in Brazil.

And I tell you more.

Formula 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>> Formula Indy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NASCAR.
  18. Blackfurball

Blackfurball Cupcake

Yeh, but the real effort is made by the horse, not the horseman.
  19. Stich

Stich Cupcake

Jockey
  20. Stich

Stich Cupcake

its true though car races are not a real sport, the only good part of any of them is the chance one of them crashes, also i think i shouldn't say anything regarding countries as i will just offend more or less everyone