1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

This might make you mad

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Malachi, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

And what about those Olympic athletes that work hard for 4 YEARS for just minutes to compete?
  2. Mellkor

I think there is more endurance in Motorsport than people realize..
    Nicodemus likes this.
  3. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

Ha... I stopped reading after "Weekend hobby". You must not follow many sports or understand how much hours they put in.
  4. Stich

Stich Cupcake

i dont follow any sport because i dont like it, but thats all ANY sport is a weekend hobby it should not be an acceptable career
  5. Stich

Stich Cupcake

yes the Olympic athletes should be recognised. But things like football(soccer), rugby (american football), hockey e.c.t. they shouldn't be praised as much as they are or earn as much as they do for playing a game, because that's all their doing is playing a weekend activity
  6. Voison

Lol... You try being in their shoes for one month. Then come back here and say its a hobby. :)
  7. Stich

Stich Cupcake

it IS a hobby, something to do to help pass the time nothing worth the millions to billions that they earn, for kicking a ball any idiot can kick a ball or throw one
  8. Voison

[​IMG]

Not even going to bother wasting my breath...
  9. Bastille

Bastille Cupcake

Someone who plays LoL a couple of hours a night with their buddies? Sure, they are two different worlds. Some korean kid who practices for 8+ hours a day for years because competitive video gaming is their entire life? They are 100% in the same league as a pro athlete. It's only "just a game" if you have that mindset.

Also, as far as the rest of the thread goes, pro athletes don't get paid for being good at playing sports. Nobody says "Hey, you can run fast. Here's a salary." They get paid because they help sell billions of dollars of merchandise through TV/radio ads. Super Bowl commercials can cost almost 4 million dollars PER showing. Not to mention merch, and even food companies get in on the action by marketing themselves as football sunday snacks.

When people stop buying stupid <REDACTED> because they saw it on TV during the game, athletes will stop making ridiculous amounts of money.
  10. Quietus

Quietus Cupcake

No, that doesn't make me mad. This is the kind of <REDACTED> that makes me mad.

Disclaimer: The link above is not meant to derail the thread.
  11. Mellkor

Oh bullish. They are not stressing their body. Minds maybe. There is no comparison between a "professional LoL'r" and a guy doing a tri-athlon. come on man.

Neither do lol players. Whats your point?
  12. Stich

Stich Cupcake

then dont since al lwere doing is blasting out opinions far as im concerned, some douche who gets paid a few dollors or pounds to kick a ball shouldnt be made to become idleised
  13. Bastille

Bastille Cupcake

So the only valid stress is physical? Anything that isn't physically stressful is "just a game"? That's ridiculous. The mental strain of a pro LoL'r is absolutely on par with the physical strain of a tri-athlon. Completely and totally. If you are implying that the training of either activity isn't equally brutal, then you clearly haven't done both. Exertion is exertion. Just because someone is at a computer doesn't mean they are having fun. Pro gaming is exhausting and downright torturous at times. It's not just a game like the idiots in the video say it is, just like pro sports aren't just a game.

TL;DR neither side is "just a game" for the pros so it was dumb of them to talk down on something just because it didn't involve much physical activity.

And I wasn't comparing them to LoL players in my 2nd point. I was responding to people who just said that sports were only hobbies and that the players shouldn't get paid as much as they currently do.
    TuxedoMask likes this.
  14. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

The Moon, or Outerspace but sometimes Earth

I agree with basically everything you just wrote. You said it much much better than me
    Bastille likes this.
  15. Bastille

Bastille Cupcake

Thanks, man! Glad to hear someone agrees. Hahah.
  16. Brisselio

Brisselio New Cupcake

Oh look at the jocks laughing at the nerds... high school is everywhere. I promise you those people would fail at playing a mmo just like the "nerds" fail at the "traditional" sport.
  17. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

Exactly. But the fact of the matter is, a sport is not a sport because it's inherently so. A sport is a sport because a significant number of people decide it's a sport. And if other people outside of that significant group argue that it is not a sport, it matters little. If a significant number of people partake in e-sports, then that makes it a sport because they are competing against each other and have decided to make it a sport. So for some, baseball is not a sport, for others, computer games are not a sport, well so? People's opinions aren't what matters because that is not what makes an activity a sport.

The problem with this type of argument is that it's all based around the assumption that an activity is inherently defined as a sport or it's not, and that is just not true. Activities are definted as sports because the skill involved is meaningful to a group of people and that group of people have decided to define the given activity as a sport. And those who do not view the activity as meaningful can go ---- themselves because their opinions are simply insignificant to the matter.

Know what I mean?
    Crminimal likes this.