1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Thoughts on the Q&A!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Myrddin, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Myrddin

Myrddin Cupcake

I hope you do not mind the criticism, it is not meant in a bad or bashing way. Keep in mind my last english lesson was 20 years ago and it is not my native language.

We have just seen the Q&A Session about Wildstar at the Gamescom, and I found it went quite horrible. For a couple of years you have been working in secret and now you decided to present your game to the public. But instead of answering questions of players, many questions were just blocked with references like "we can't talk about that", "check our website","follow us on twitter". Makes you wonder why you were standing there at all or if you should have waited with your annoucnement. I mean it should be possible to talk about things without giving out details you want to hold back. After all these people ,+1500 on stream, are interested in your game, they came to hear from you and not to read your website. But enough QQ, I know it is easier to lean back and rant than to actually be there and do the talking.

While I was impressed with the playable demo, the Q&A made me wonder if you did not want to talk about these things because they exist only as idea on a sketchboard, but aren't even finalized, yet.

Think this comment sums it up pretty well :"They've got some good ideas for the game, but it seems ver much to be on the drawing board still, the idea of showing the game when they are ready to talk about it was good, but they couldn't answer 99% of the questions, since they weren't ready to talk about it, yet :D"

Kind regards,

Myrddin
    eiglos likes this.
  2. Lucas

Lucas Cupcake

There will be another Q&A session in about two hours and half (4.30pm CET); regarding the usual "we can't talk about that yet", we have witnessed it during other MMOG development phases. It's a mix of things, really: the fact that certain features are still not set in stone, for example; the balance between publishing stuff on a website first, as opposed to speaking about it in front of an audience. And, of course, how the marketing guys dictate the flow of information by the development team :).
    ---

Again, if you compare to what other companies did in the past, Carbine, while in "stealth mode" for a long time, actually released quite a fair bunch of information on its debut.

- Races details
    - Playable "paths" with some details already
    - more details, albeit vague, on other particular features of the game ("Momentum")
    - General lore of the game, surely to be expanded soon on the appropriate website section
    - Playable demo, quite polished and complete to be a pre-alpha (at least IMO)
    - Long game trailer, as opposed to a 30secs teaser trailer
    - Beta signups the very first day the website opens, beta that also doesn't seem THAT far away.

Again, that's not bad for a debut, especially for a totally original IP.
    starspun likes this.
  3. Myrddin

Myrddin Cupcake

If you want to talk about other games, look at how Tom Chilton talks about WoW. When he doesn't want to share details, he does still give a proper answer, with the general vague idea they have in mind about the topic and doesn't say, "you can read about that on our website once we publish it!"

It is all about connecting to the visitors.

I am not talking about the debut of the game, I am talking about the Q&A, the one that dodged half of the information you listed.

Also I am not certain if the game is as polished as you say. We have really not seen anything past level 6, entry zone, 1/2 factions, no crafting, none of the praised social features, 2/4 paths, 0 character customization, class/race combinations. It could very well be that it is all that exists at the moment - I am sure it isn't, jsut pointing out that we have only seen a small, if not only tiny glimpse at the promised features.

You could sign up for SWTOR Beta, Diablo3, SC2 years ago before they actually started, that you can sign up, doesn't mean it has to happen soon.

Again, I can understand if they are holding back information, but there has to be a better way at doing it.
  4. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I couldn't catch the early Q&A but hope I can see the one at 16:30 CEST (or 10:30 EDT since Germany is six hours ahead of the US) - it's a sad state of affairs that very often developers are tongue tied by marketing/publishers and are only allowed to touch on very specific subjects.

I hope that this is the problem you had with the Q&A Myrddin, and not a more deep seated development problem with Carbine.
  5. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Original Founder

At the Q&A I heard Troy (Aether) confirm the motorbike in the trailer is actually a mount. Plus the whole layered content concept and tailoring it to the players path/class sounds really interesting. Also I really want to learn more about the end game where your character's story really comes into play.
  6. Myrddin

Myrddin Cupcake

As mentioned above, my concern is related to the way the Q&A took place. No matter how tongue tied you could possibly be, there is a way to give the visitor the feeling that his question is heard and answered.

Wildstar itself is a pleasant surprise for me, it is further than I expected. I just did nto like the way questions wer ehandled and hoped that maybe robeardo would see this here. He took over some questions and said a bit more than the others, wish he'd do more of that.
  7. Lucas

Lucas Cupcake

Myrddin, I think we just have to be patient for now :) .

Well, of course I'm not sure it's that polished either; it's just my opinion compared to other pre-alpha videos I've seen from other MMOGs.

Regarding the other features, again, I'm sure they will be unveiled in due time: they're quite specific and need time to be unveiled (especially if their implied mechanics are still a work in progress; in other words: the feature will make it through the end of beta, but it will change often in its implementation, so they need time before talking openly about it)
  8. Flint

Flint Cupcake

I understand where Myrdin is coming from and I think he (or she) has a very valid point.

I even don't think its a matter of being impatient, I think its more a question of, if you are doing a Q&A you better make sure you can deliver on the A.

If some subjects are not open for discussion then lay down some question rules before the session begins.
    It is entirely possible to do this as demonstrated by Arenanet.

I'm quite sure a lot of us on this forum have been through our fair share of MMO's we realise things can and will change from alpha to beta to gold. But if you are making a big fuzz about unveiling your MMO then you better have a bit more substance then just a very impressive trailer and a polished demo.
    These developers are not noobs nor is this their first project, they should realise that the MMO scene has changed. The standard MMO player is a jaded player, they should promote their game with that in mind.
  9. Gangrel

Gangrel New Cupcake

I think (and this is just my own opinion), is that the people at the Q&A session were playing it safe. The one thing that the vast majority of gamers do is hang onto every single word and take it as set in stone, unlikely to change.

So of course, when stuff changes (for any reason), the developers get branded a liars. But if they keep the information that they are *allowed* to say at a minimum then there is less chance of this happening.

I have to admit i was surprised at a Q&A being held along with the general announcement of the title, because it just puts all the pressure onto the developers (or at least the representatives of the title there) to possibly reveal stuff that just isn't *ready* to announce... especially if it is "game changing".